Men @ Arkansas

AUinMS9528

1 hour ago, Viper said:

That’s what I figured. What’s your prediction for the game? 

I think we are the better team and completely capable of winning this game. To win I think we need to battle on the offensive glass (Cambridge/Kessler), we need to get a better shot balance between the guards and the forwards, we need to play at our usual level in other areas. They play six guys 20+ minutes and five of those are guards. They only play 8 guys real minutes, but they do have a 7 footer they can bring in that doesn't play much. I expect them to go small and try and go uptempo and turn us over. Draw Kesseler away from the basket and cut and dive to the rim. They live on the free throw line so we have to be disciplined on defense, make them make shots from outside. Maybe we use more zone than normal. I'd like to go to the posts/forwards early on offense, but still keep the free flow that make us so dangerous. Flannigan and Smith need to make some outside shots if they get the ball kicked to them when we try to pick and roll with Kessler. Arky will have to shade an extra man to Kessler when he rolls and there will be perimeter shots open, unless they want to give up dunks. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

They live on the free throw line so we have to be disciplined on defense, make them make shots from outside. Maybe we use more zone than normal.

This is what I’ve heard about ARK. They live on the free throw line. That does not bode well on the road. SEC refs LOVE to call ticky tack fouls on us on the road, esp Kessler’s clean blocks. Paramount that he stay out of foul trouble early.

Agreed about the zone. Gotta mix it in plenty. They only shoot 30% on 3’s. Make them make 3’s to win, and not from the stripe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

I think we are the better team and completely capable of winning this game. To win I think we need to battle on the offensive glass (Cambridge/Kessler), we need to get a better shot balance between the guards and the forwards, we need to play at our usual level in other areas. They play six guys 20+ minutes and five of those are guards. They only play 8 guys real minutes, but they do have a 7 footer they can bring in that doesn't play much. I expect them to go small and try and go uptempo and turn us over. Draw Kesseler away from the basket and cut and dive to the rim. They live on the free throw line so we have to be disciplined on defense, make them make shots from outside. Maybe we use more zone than normal. I'd like to go to the posts/forwards early on offense, but still keep the free flow that make us so dangerous. Flannigan and Smith need to make some outside shots if they get the ball kicked to them when we try to pick and roll with Kessler. Arky will have to shade an extra man to Kessler when he rolls and there will be perimeter shots open, unless they want to give up dunks. 

Flannigan needs to take some more outside shots. He’s great driving the middle but he gives up too many open shots outside. I’m hoping Arkansas will be a breakout game for him.

34 minutes ago, thewhiz7 said:

I'm here. I made 1000 mile trip to see this one. We better win.

We know who to blame if we don’t. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, toddc said:

Flannigan needs to take some more outside shots. He’s great driving the middle but he gives up too many open shots outside. I’m hoping Arkansas will be a breakout game for him.

He is not a good shooter though. He was last year but he is still working his way back to that form and is not close yet. He has had a lot of bad misses on 3 point shots since he got back. But I do not really want him driving to the rim either because that how without fail he picks up about 1 or 2 charges a game. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

This is what I’ve heard about ARK. They live on the free throw line. That does not bode well on the road. SEC refs LOVE to call ticky tack fouls on us on the road, esp Kessler’s clean blocks. Paramount that he stay out of foul trouble early.

Agreed about the zone. Gotta mix it in plenty. They only shoot 30% on 3’s. Make them make 3’s to win, and not from the stripe.

The zone would also keep Kessler around the rim to contest shots and not put him in high pick n rolls. 

4 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

He didn't practice, so even if he does play I wouldn't expect 100% from him. Going to have to tweak something with the rotations to give Wen and KD a breather.  i would let AF play some 2 and maybe get Moore some minutes in AF's usual spot. 

Jasper ruled out. 

23 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

The zone would also keep Kessler around the rim to contest shots and not put him in high pick n rolls. 

Bingo. Gotta mix in the zone. Defer their cuts to 3’s. Keeps Kessler out of foul trouble. Keeps Green & KD a wee bit fresher. 

Edited by Viper

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

We don't have many guys who can give PG minutes. KD and Flan are the only 2 on scholarship that i think can do it.

Flanigan to play PG when Green is out.

6 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

They live on the free throw line so we have to be disciplined on defense, make them make shots from outside.

5 hours ago, Viper said:

Unfortunately we called it. SO many phantom calls. That was expected. Still…if we shoot just 60% from the stripe, we win. We know what the team will be practicing. 

• Like 1