The biggest Sports story in the state today

WarTim

During Basketball season, if you did not listen to the AU game on the radio or view on TV, there is one sure fire way to know if AU won. Simply tune in the news @ 10:00. If AU lost, it was the lead sports story. If AU won, no mention 'till deep into the sports segment. It works every time. B)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing to keep in mind here is not only having a story, but the spin that is put on that story. On a scale of 1 to 10, Auburn could have a 10 rated news worthy story that gets printed in an inconspicuous place and have such a downard spin placed on it that it would come at like an 8. On the other hand UA might have a 6 rated news worthy story placed on page 1 with such a positive spin placed on it that it ends up like an 8. Spin is something the Birmingham News has without question been guilty of over the years ... downward regarding AU while upward regarding UA.

Now that I have said that, the Bham News did show some improvement in this morning's paper by pointing out that AU lead the conference with 1st team all SEC players. This did not go unnoticed by me and if it is an attempt to give "fairer more balanced reporting" then I will trumpet this change. One positive AU item with does not; however, reshape my views which were formed from having read myriads of their articles. They do get a thumbs up from me this day for this day. Time will tell if others follow.

Archived