The biggest Sports story in the state today

WarTim

bg, poor bg, I understand why you are disgruntled over the good things happening at AU. I understand that you do not like the fact that I think bamaham is the armpit of the State. (and, it is!) You are simply trying to start an arguement by changing the subject of that arguement. I said that none of the bamaham stations would lead with the biggest sports story of the day. I was 100% right. Case closed. Nothing to argue about there. Sorry if that makes you disgruntled. Try and get "gruntled" and then we can have a discussion about uat and all of their recent success. :rolleyes:

p.s. You say that you "dispute" my claims. On what basis? Please, list the bamaham TV stations that lead with this story and you will be correct. Otherwise, you simply do not like what I have to say...And that is okay too! ;)

169465[/snapback]

Sorry to nitpick, but I think BG's issue with your statement is not whether or not the B'ham stations would lead with the NC story, but your stated rationale for why they wouldn't:

If NC had decided to go with the smaller school in the western part of the state, not only would it have been the lead on the sports segment, it would have been the lead story period. Again, just the facts.

This is the point of contention. BG is pointing out that the stations just aren't giving recruiting the top story spot right now, regardless of who commits where. You're making the argument that it's only because NC committed to Auburn that it didn't get top billing. He pointed out that Bama got a 4 star commit a week or so ago and you didn't hear a peep about it on these stations. You really haven't offered anything to support your contention.

In the end, neither your nor BG's position on this subject is a "fact." They both are statements of opinion with varying degrees of anecdotal evidence lending support.

And despite our dustup over in the Politics forum, I'm not saying this to pick on you. In fact, you're pissing me off making me somewhat come to the defense of a bammer. ;)

169485[/snapback]

Ouch Titan :blink:

I know that had to hurt!!!! :au:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not attempting to argue anything. To the contrary, I made a statement. bg wanted to claim that my statement was not true. It is. No harm - No foul. :D

p.s. Titan, if it helps, you are basically splittin' it down the middle, thus you are also "defending" an AU Brother. Hope this helps your feelings on the "po'ed" part.

:)

Your argument is wrong. Its not one of those "opinion" things you like to talk about so much.
N. Caudel selecting AU is the biggest sports story in the state today. Will ANY of the bamaham tv stations make it the lead story?

I doubt it VERY seriosly. Time will tell. I would love to eat some crow on this one. au2.gif

This was yet another attempt to BLAST the Birmingham media and have another one of your "everybody hates Auburn" pity parties.

My point was that it is unlikely that the local news would have led with any recruiting story. Alabama or Auburn. And you saying they didnt lead with it proves nothing. Whats more special? Leading with it for your 4 minute sports segment on the 6pm news? Or having an exclusive break in to announce it when he does?

Hell if you wanted to be right for the sake of being right...why didnt you start the thread with "Birmingham media hates Auburn...i PROMISE you they wont lead tonights sports segment with a piece on Pat Dye...."

And your points ARE in dispute...I disputed them. I disputed the entire basis for argument.

169448[/snapback]

:ua: sucks

169479[/snapback]

JP, thanks for the "assist". :)

Your argument is wrong. Its not one of those "opinion" things you like to talk about so much.
N. Caudel selecting AU is the biggest sports story in the state today. Will ANY of the bamaham tv stations make it the lead story?

I doubt it VERY seriosly. Time will tell. I would love to eat some crow on this one. au2.gif

This was yet another attempt to BLAST the Birmingham media and have another one of your "everybody hates Auburn" pity parties.

My point was that it is unlikely that the local news would have led with any recruiting story. Alabama or Auburn. And you saying they didnt lead with it proves nothing. Whats more special? Leading with it for your 4 minute sports segment on the 6pm news? Or having an exclusive break in to announce it when he does?

Hell if you wanted to be right for the sake of being right...why didnt you start the thread with "Birmingham media hates Auburn...i PROMISE you they wont lead tonights sports segment with a piece on Pat Dye...."

And your points ARE in dispute...I disputed them. I disputed the entire basis for argument.

169448[/snapback]

:ua: sucks

169479[/snapback]

JP, thanks for the "assist". :)

169514[/snapback]

Thats a big 10-4 good buddy and a hearty WAR EAGLE to you and yours. :au::thumbsup::flag::nanner::AUBig: Im off the chain biatches!

Another way of saying the obvious: if the other school up the road had the honors throughout its program as AU has, we in Birmingham would read nothing else. This is true whether wea talking about the national mascot championship won by Aubie, the distinct advantage in the number of astronauts from the AU program, national championship by our weight man whose achievement was noted on the very back page of the sports section. The lack of exposure for our swimming national championship program vs. the UAT gymnastics program. The coverage all during the swimming NCAA championship was anemic at best. I could go on and on, but end this listing here.

There is no way AU gets the coverage in Bham that is warranted.

WarTim you are correct in your summation.

WAR EAGLE!!!

I heard about the signing on the finebaum show. Today he had someone on from the Auburn website to talk about the recruiting. I think Auburn is getting more coverage now than ever! War Eagle

Another way of saying the obvious: if the other school up the road had the honors throughout its program as AU has, we in Birmingham would read nothing else.  This is true whether wea talking about the national mascot championship won by Aubie, the distinct advantage in the number of astronauts from the AU program, national championship by our weight man whose achievement was noted on the very back page of the sports section.  The lack of exposure for our swimming national championship program vs. the UAT gymnastics program.  The coverage all during the swimming NCAA championship was anemic at best.  I could go on and on, but end this listing here.

There is no way AU gets the coverage in Bham that is warranted.

WarTim you are correct in your summation.

WAR EAGLE!!!

169523[/snapback]

As further proof of the first paragraph above. Bham News page 2 of sports section in the 5th paragraph under the Golf heading in a small paragraph with dubious title "Alabama cities named tops for golf in the country". Auburn/Opelika is the #1 city in America according to Golf Digest, August edition of the 330 cities ranked. Gadsden was ranked #9.

Do any of you AU guys really believe this is the kind of coverage the other school up the road would have received ... name not in the title ... insignificant location in the paper ... etc. Come on ... if you do, I have some swamp property ready for development and wonderful beach front property in Nebraska for you. Did I tell you about the big bridge in Brooklyn?

WAR EAGLE!!!

Can I make payments on that "bridge" in easy monthly installments? B)

169611[/snapback]

If it were anyone but you or other feet on the ground rock-solid AU person, I would insist they borrow the money from First Bank of Tuscalooser securing the debt with toll proceeds!

169611[/snapback]

If it were anyone but you or other feet on the ground rock-solid AU person, I would insist they borrow the money from First Bank of Tuscalooser securing the debt with toll proceeds!

169620[/snapback]

Can they use antiques--like old, rusty MNC trophies--as collateral? :big:

Its not a vast consipracy by 'bama homers' in the Birmingham media to keep AU out of it.

If Bama gets more air time, its PROBABLY because Birmingham is a majority Bama city. It makes good economic sense.

Same reason why AU gets more love than UAB in bham...

Do you think Bama gets more love than Troy in Dothan?

Hell, UT gets more love than Bama in Huntsvegas most of the time.

I have been watching this stuff for a long time and have met some of these "sports writers."

1. They are loyal to alabama.

2. The non local sportscasters came here when Bear Bryant was coaching and became Bear bamas. It was easy to be a Bama fan and they were the premiere program.

3. There has been no media survey of fans that I know of, so they don't know their audience but assume that is is a Bama town. I am not so sure. Bear has been gone for 20 years and the program has stuggled ever since. Most younger fans don't know they are supposed to be Bama fans.

4. Auburn has been drawing a majority of the quality high school graduates who go to college at Auburn or Alabama. Alabama has started to give more full ride academic scholarships to stem the bleeding. I know several kids that were headed to Auburn until the money was offered for the scholarship.

5. The radio and tv guys can go on for hours about Alabama's history and but have a very shallow knowledge of Auburn's. They talk about what they know not what they don't know.

6. Kevin Scarbinsky is not a good sports writer. Deal him a race card and he will play it. I find that many of his columns should really be in the fan's sound off section because of the lack of clarity.

7. Paul Finebaum has one Auburn caller. Auburn people mostly don't participate in his show because his knowlege of Auburn is lacking and he isn't interested. I have known many old Auburn locals who have tried to educate him but he could care less. His schtick is to demean and insult and right now Alabama is his target, an easy target.

8. The media here is making the same error as the Main Stream Media. They are not responding to changing demographics. I believe that a show with an in-depth knowledge of auburn sports could succeed in Birmingham. It is an untapped audience.

As an Auburn Man, I do not want nor desire any "love" :blink: from the state's armpit. Our Football team is doing a very nice job of EARNING our respect, all over the Country, on the field. But, it is a shame that Auburn gets better coverage outside of the state than IN state. It has always been that way and probably will be......at least for a short period of time. B)

Slink, the AJC does a very good job of covering all sports in general and uga sports in particular. Get you a subscription young man! :football:

Now I know why these types of stereotypes never die:misinformation.

3.  There has been no media survey of fans that I know of, so they don't know their audience but assume that is is a Bama town.  I am not so sure.  Bear has been gone for 20 years and the program has stuggled ever since.  Most younger fans don't know they are supposed to be Bama fans.

Bama program has 'struggled' since Coach Bryant died? Are you kidding? Struggled in the last few years maybe...but the last 20...okay. Whats the mark of struggling? Multiple 10 win seasons? Multiple conference championships? How bout a national championship? How about the fact that Alabama is 45 min away from bham while Auburn is nearly 2 hours? I guess since Bama doesnt get as much play in Auburn, i shoud demand a demographics recalculation. Man this is what media DOES. AFTiger, you usually post some good stuff, but come on...you think...HONESTLY think...that if there was an overwhelming demand for more AU coverage, the birmingham media would refuse to go there because they are bama fans? Thats not even close. The writers dont own the tv stations and newspapers...

4.  Auburn has been drawing a majority of the quality high school graduates who go to college at Auburn or Alabama.  Alabama has started to give more full ride academic scholarships to stem the bleeding.  I know several kids that were headed to Auburn until the money was offered for the scholarship.

Again, not true. Bama's average ACT, SAT, and hs gpa numbers are almost IDENTICAL to auburn's. And the last two years have shown alabama to rank higher than auburn academically. Doesnt matter though...they are both so close in ranking, that auburn's few spots behind wouldnt hurt them as far as fans or students is concerned...similar to the years when au was ahead. Finally, what does this have to do with a fan base in bham? You guys always say bama's fans are all non college grads anyway. So which is it?

5.  The radio and tv guys can go on for hours about Alabama's history and but have a very shallow knowledge of Auburn's.  They talk about what they know not what they don't know.

Prove it. I dont hear radio guys going on and on about either teams history...and i listen to the radio all the time. This is a stereotype that you can just throw out there without any backing.

7.  Paul Finebaum has one Auburn caller.  Auburn people mostly don't participate in his show because his knowlege of Auburn is lacking and he isn't interested.  I have known many old Auburn locals who have tried to educate him but he could care less.  His schtick is to demean and insult and right now Alabama is his target, an easy target.

Could have fooled me...again you are wrong. AU people call that show CONSTANTLY...mostly to just bash bama. And Finebaum jumps right in there with them. And alabama has been his target for 2 years now...so the 'right now' thing must be wide in scope

I lived in Dothan for 12 years before moving to Bham this past year and believe you me, Bama got alot more coverage than Troy.

Slink, the AJC does a very good job of covering all sports in general and uga sports in particular. Get you a subscription young man! :football:

169718[/snapback]

Did you hear the UGA beat writer got moved to the Falcons so they don't have anybody anymore?

169718[/snapback]

Did you hear the UGA beat writer got moved to the Falcons so they don't have anybody anymore?

169721[/snapback]

I hate to hear that. Can't remember the guys name but I have read his stuff often.

The AJC is a good paper with tons of $$$$ I feel certain they will get a more than average replacement.

I lived in Dothan for 12 years before moving to Bham this past year and believe you me, Bama got alot more coverage than Troy.

169720[/snapback]

DT don't confuse BG with reality... AFTiger tried to open his eyes a few posts up, but he couldn't handle it.

First.

Watch the news everyday, for those in Bham.

Alabama's coverage is no better than Auburns. The only time they mention Alabama is in the court case stuff.

Whenever Alabama picks up a recruit, they show it. Whenever Auburn picks up a recruit, they show it. They don't cover recruiting any more for Alabama than Auburn.

During the football season, they do 50/50 coverage of both.. and even add a little UAB in there. 1 day a week, they send a reporter to each campus, to fill us in with more information.

Then on Saturday, again, they send a reporter to each football game.

I am an Auburn fan.. but there is other stuff besides Auburn football that makes local headlines in sports. Sure, Alabama might get a little more coverage in the newspapers, or during basketball season.. but that is only because they are 45 minutes away, where Auburn is 2 hours.

I live in Bham and read the Bham News sports page everyday and without question the coverage is significantly slanted towards Tuscaloosa.

I live in Bham and read the Bham News sports page everyday and without question the coverage is significantly slanted towards Tuscaloosa.

169733[/snapback]

I LIVED in Bama til 2000 and it was ALWAYS slanted toward Bama..2 out of every 3 stories were Bama...

Archived