The biggest Sports story in the state today

WarTim

N. Caudel selecting AU is the biggest sports story in the state today. Will ANY of the bamaham tv stations make it the lead story?

I doubt it VERY seriosly. Time will tell. I would love to eat some crow on this one. :au:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you search tomorrow morning's Birmingham News with a strong magnifying glass you might find something about Caudle's commitment in some insignificant out of the way place. And on the other hand you might not.

I feel sure the Huntsville and Montgomery papers will provide good coverage.

WAR EAGLE!!!

waaa waaa...mean ole birmingham media hates auburn.

too bad nbc 13 did an EXCLUSIVE at 4pm today when he committed...and they were talking about it on jox all afternoon...sigh you cant eliminate a stereotype...EVER

BamaGrad, I have to agree with you. I live in the Bham market area and see great coverage of both Auburn and Alabama. Just, that whether it be Alabama or Auburn, you will always find the negatives and skip over the positives.

It might be a Bama town, its only like 40 minutes or so away from the Campus.. but the media gives fair coverage during the season. Now, they might give UAT more coverage during the off season, but they do fair coverage during the season. (Mostly because Auburn is always doing something special.)

:) War Eagle!!

Just to point out a fact. Not one of 'em lead off with the NC story. Flippin' the old channel changer as fast as possible, all had Tiger Woods front and center. Fox 6 followed with a nascar story before mentioning NC. Somebody correct me if I missed something. :D

Stereotype? No. Typical...yes. :P

Last time i checked:

-its not recruiting season

-news sports NEVER leads off with recruiting unless it is that season

-Bama got a 4 star commitment 2 weeks ago...didnt hear a PEEP about it on the news.

Last time i checked:

169366[/snapback]

Not recruiting season? Where you live boy? It's always recruiting season at Auburn. Maybe we are getting a clue what da problem is at UAT :poke:

:lol::lol::lol: Shhhhh. Don't tell 'em! :D

Last time i checked:

-Bama got a 4 star commitment 2 weeks ago...didnt hear a PEEP about it on the news.

169366[/snapback]

Just stating the facts. And, they are undisputed. B)

If NC had decided to go with the smaller school in the western part of the state, not only would it have been the lead on the sports segment, it would have been the lead story period. Again, just the facts. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Last time i checked:

169366[/snapback]

If NC had decided to go with the smaller school in the western part of the state, not only would it have been the lead on the sports segment, it would have been the lead story period. Again, just the facts. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

169385[/snapback]

Just because you say "they are undisputed" doesnt make it so.

Again, we signed a 4 star player two weeks ago and there was no mention of it. They werent going on and on about it on JOX like they did with NC...and they didnt have an "exclusive" announcment deal on NBC13 like NC did.

Maybe those facts dont count though...since they dont fit your argument.

While I do believe that Birmingham definitely leans toward Bama in overall coverage, it appears that at least some of the local TV and radio stations carried Caudle's announcement live at 4pm yesterday. And while I don't know what the print edition looked like, the sports page for the Birmingham News has the Caudle announcement as it's second link as of 9:55 this morning:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/

AU coverage has gotten better in bham over the last 5-6 years...but now UAB fans are screaming they want equality too...33% bama 33% AU and 33% UAB.

If they cant support their team...why should the media ?

AU coverage has gotten better in bham over the last 5-6 years...but now UAB fans are screaming they want equality too...33% bama 33% AU and 33% UAB.

If they cant support their team...why should the media ?

169395[/snapback]

Yeah, I think they need to get minimum attendance up significantly before they start squalling about coverage. Auburn and Bama put 80,000 plus butts in seats for every home game. In fact, according to this document from the NCAA, Auburn averaged over 83,000 per game, Bama averaged just under 82,000. UAB averaged just over 20,000. It's not a matter of capacity. Legion Field holds around 80,000. And they're in the largest city in the state.

Put a sock in it, UAB.

Last time i checked:

169366[/snapback]

169385[/snapback]

Just because you say "they are undisputed" doesnt make it so.

Again, we signed a 4 star player two weeks ago and there was no mention of it. They werent going on and on about it on JOX like they did with NC...and they didnt have an "exclusive" announcment deal on NBC13 like NC did.

Maybe those facts dont count though...since they dont fit your argument.

169392[/snapback]

The facts are undisputed BECAUSE they are facts and have not been disputed. (Any part of that unclear?) :blink:

Nobody mentioned anything about uat but you. I simply stated that I didn't think any of the bamaham stations would have the guts to make this story the lead. I was correct. End of story. (Come on bg. Give me a break. I am SOOOO seldom right! :D )

If the bamaham stations didn't mention a uat story, THAT is a totally different subject. I have not questioned your point. It simply has nothing to do with the undisputed facts I stated, quite clearly. You may want to fire off an e-mail to those sportsters. I am certain they would be more than happy to correct their "omission error" on the part of uat. :lol::lol::lol:

Second link. That is typical.

Your argument is wrong. Its not one of those "opinion" things you like to talk about so much.

N. Caudel selecting AU is the biggest sports story in the state today. Will ANY of the bamaham tv stations make it the lead story?

I doubt it VERY seriosly. Time will tell. I would love to eat some crow on this one. au2.gif

This was yet another attempt to BLAST the Birmingham media and have another one of your "everybody hates Auburn" pity parties.

My point was that it is unlikely that the local news would have led with any recruiting story. Alabama or Auburn. And you saying they didnt lead with it proves nothing. Whats more special? Leading with it for your 4 minute sports segment on the 6pm news? Or having an exclusive break in to announce it when he does?

Hell if you wanted to be right for the sake of being right...why didnt you start the thread with "Birmingham media hates Auburn...i PROMISE you they wont lead tonights sports segment with a piece on Pat Dye...."

And your points ARE in dispute...I disputed them. I disputed the entire basis for argument.

Your argument is wrong. Its not one of those "opinion" things you like to talk about so much.

I doubt it VERY seriosly. Time will tell. I would love to eat some crow on this one. au2.gif

This was yet another attempt to BLAST the Birmingham media and have another one of your "everybody hates Auburn" pity parties.

My point was that it is unlikely that the local news would have led with any recruiting story. Alabama or Auburn. And you saying they didnt lead with it proves nothing. Whats more special? Leading with it for your 4 minute sports segment on the 6pm news? Or having an exclusive break in to announce it when he does?

Hell if you wanted to be right for the sake of being right...why didnt you start the thread with "Birmingham media hates Auburn...i PROMISE you they wont lead tonights sports segment with a piece on Pat Dye...."

And your points ARE in dispute...I disputed them. I disputed the entire basis for argument.

169448[/snapback]

bg, poor bg, I understand why you are disgruntled over the good things happening at AU. I understand that you do not like the fact that I think bamaham is the armpit of the State. (and, it is!) You are simply trying to start an arguement by changing the subject of that arguement. I said that none of the bamaham stations would lead with the biggest sports story of the day. I was 100% right. Case closed. Nothing to argue about there. Sorry if that makes you disgruntled. Try and get "gruntled" and then we can have a discussion about uat and all of their recent success. :rolleyes:

p.s. You say that you "dispute" my claims. On what basis? Please, list the bamaham TV stations that lead with this story and you will be correct. Otherwise, you simply do not like what I have to say...And that is okay too! ;)

I would like to add a different flavor to this banter.

Birmingham, the Birmingham News, and other media outlets have always tilted more towards Tuscaloosa than Auburn. The majority of fan support in the city has always been more inclined to UA than AU because more UA fans live in Birmingham. Therefore, the media outlets in the city have always gone where the market it, which is UA sports. They've given decent coverage to Auburn in the past but UA often at times gets the preferential treatment. This is fundamental economics here, you go with your market and you appease your already existing constituents so they come back and buy more. It makes perfect market sense for these outlets to be pro UA.

However, things have changed in recent years. These days, you see more orange and blue around Birmingham than you did in years past and the media outlets there are becoming more Auburn friendly. The more Auburn fans in Birmingham, the more Auburn news coverage. Remember, they want Auburn fans buying newspapers too and watching Channel 13 too.

Although Birmingham is still a UA town and the coverage of AU is not what it needs to be, I still see a change for the better here. We're get more print, more focus, and more respect from these people than we ever have in the past. I'll take that instead of leaving it on the table.

I say be patient and let the winds of change run its proper course. In our lifetime, with all due respect to the 80 and older crowd here, I see Birmingham being a 50-50 town with equal coverage for both schools. Besides, if the current trend continues, UA keeps imploding, and Auburn keeps winning, these outlets will have no choice but to accept the inevitable.

Even though Birmingham is a big base and it currently belongs to UA, we still have our bases in SE Alabama, half of Atlanta, Nashville, and North Florida.

We do well without Birmingham.

Alex

169448[/snapback]

:ua: sucks

bg, poor bg, I understand why you are disgruntled over the good things happening at AU. I understand that you do not like the fact that I think bamaham is the armpit of the State. (and, it is!) You are simply trying to start an arguement by changing the subject of that arguement. I said that none of the bamaham stations would lead with the biggest sports story of the day. I was 100% right. Case closed. Nothing to argue about there. Sorry if that makes you disgruntled. Try and get "gruntled" and then we can have a discussion about uat and all of their recent success. :rolleyes:

p.s. You say that you "dispute" my claims. On what basis? Please, list the bamaham TV stations that lead with this story and you will be correct. Otherwise, you simply do not like what I have to say...And that is okay too! ;)

169465[/snapback]

Sorry to nitpick, but I think BG's issue with your statement is not whether or not the B'ham stations would lead with the NC story, but your stated rationale for why they wouldn't:

If NC had decided to go with the smaller school in the western part of the state, not only would it have been the lead on the sports segment, it would have been the lead story period. Again, just the facts.

This is the point of contention. BG is pointing out that the stations just aren't giving recruiting the top story spot right now, regardless of who commits where. You're making the argument that it's only because NC committed to Auburn that it didn't get top billing. He pointed out that Bama got a 4 star commit a week or so ago and you didn't hear a peep about it on these stations. You really haven't offered anything to support your contention.

In the end, neither your nor BG's position on this subject is a "fact." They both are statements of opinion with varying degrees of anecdotal evidence lending support.

And despite our dustup over in the Politics forum, I'm not saying this to pick on you. In fact, you're pissing me off making me somewhat come to the defense of a bammer. ;)

Archived