Women's SEC Tournament

tgrogan21

Auburn is playing 11 Seeded Alabama in the opening game. 3rd quarter with just over a minute left and Auburn is up 53-48. We got down about 8 in the 2nd and fought our way back. FT shooting has been very poor today at 11-21. Hoping we can hold on in the 4th to get this W.

53-50 at the start of the 4th.

I feel like almost every game I start watching the game and not just following along, I jinx this team. The 4th quarter has started with so many turnovers and fouls.

4 turnovers and 3 fouls in 2 minutes in the 4th. Auburn trails 54-53 with less than 8 left.

Another 1-2 trip to the line and it's 54 all.

Jordan gets a nice inbounds pass and easy layup. 56-54 Auburn.

7 unanswered points from bama and a turnover from Honesty Scott-Grayson. :(

61-56 bama with 5:30 left.

Put back layup for Precious and a steal and layup for Honesty.

63-60 bama

Precious fouled going back up on a offensive layup. Misses both FTs though. Can't win if you can't get the freebies.

Bad shots down the stretch. 68-60 bama with less than 2 minutes. Doesn't look like we're gonna pull this off. Just another 4th quarter lead given up.

Another 1-2 trip from the line, this time from Annie Hughes. We've shot 13-27 from the line, just can't win shooting like that from the line.

70-66 bama

Honesty with a couple of great offensive possessions getting an and-1 and a layup to cut the lead. bama makes both FTs, Wells gets a layup.

Auburn let way too much time go before fouling. 75-68 with 6.2 seconds left. Frustrating end to the season. I do know that Johnnie is the right person for the job and hopefully with another year of recruiting and training we can turn that corner. A lot of blown 4th quarter leads this season.

Edit: Also, this is like the 4th or 5th time I've started watching a game when we have a lead only to watch it go down in flames. Maybe it's just me jinxing them. lol

Edited by tgrogan21

Total choke in the 4th period to a not good Bama squad. This AU team has more talent and ability than this 1st round SEC tourny exit. Mediocre coaching and players failure to focus for an entire important game.

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Total choke in the 4th period to a not good Bama squad. This AU team has more talent and ability than this 1st round SEC tourny exit. Mediocre coaching and players failure to focus for an entire important game.

Um, what? We don't have more talent. I don't know if you know this but we didn't win a conference game for 2 years. Only won 5 games last season. The fact that Johnnie was able to beat 3 ranked teams this season is a testament to how good of a coach she is. Coach Flo put us so far behind that everyone knew it was going to take a couple of years to rebuild.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

11 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Um, what? We don't have more talent. I don't know if you know this but we didn't win a conference game for 2 years. Only won 5 games last season. The fact that Johnnie was able to beat 3 ranked teams this season is a testament to how good of a coach she is. Coach Flo put us so far behind that everyone knew it was going to take a couple of years to rebuild.

So this team and coach that are consistently competitive for most of each game are not responsible for bringing it home at the end because of....Coach Flo? Interesting.

Edited by aucanucktiger

24 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

So this team and coach that are consistently competitive for most of each game are not responsible for bringing it home at the end because of....Coach Flo? Interesting.

Yeah, because you think we have this amazing talent that we don't have. We're in games in the end despite our lack of talent because Coach Johnnie has us moving in the right direction way earlier than anyone thought. We're not in games at the end because we have better talent but because of coaching. The team has worked extremely hard and played good but at the end of the day the bodies/talent just aren't there yet. You can downplay how good Coach Johnnie is all you want but look at the past 2 years and what Coach Flo left this program in. No coach was going to come into one of the toughest conference in Women's basketball and win with this team.

Be happy that we won 3 games against ranked opponents and 2 games in the SEC and be hopeful for the bright future we have going forward.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 3

Over half the rotation are the remnants of a team that didn’t win a conference game + Harris is coaching with a very strict 8 person rotation. That’s why they keep getting their butts kicked late in the game, they’re tired as hell 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby