'Husky Fast' injection

aubiefifty

Auburn receiving corps receiving 'Husky Fast' injection

By Ben Thomas | bthomas@al.com
3-4 minutes

Hewitt-Trussville vs. Oak Mountain football

Hewitt-Trussville's Dazalin Worsham tries to get around Oak Mountain's Zach Taylor at Heardmoint Park in Indian Springs Village, Ala., Friday, Sept. 6, 2019. Worsham, a Miami transfer, signed with Auburn this week. (Mark Almond | preps@al.com)Mark Almond | preps@al.com

Expect Auburn’s revamped receiving corps to be “Husky Fast” in 2022.

The Tigers will have no less than three former Hewitt-Trussville High receivers on board this fall with the additions of Miami transfer Dazalin Worsham and incoming freshman Omari Kelly. They join Auburn returnee Ja’Varrius Johnson.

RELATED: Hewitt-Trussville DL narrows options

Hewitt-Trussville’s motto since Josh Floyd took over as coach in 2014?

Husky Fast.

“It’s pretty wild,” Floyd said. “They obviously have some needs at that position, so I think all those guys have a chance to contribute.”

Johnson, a part of the 2019 Auburn recruiting class, entered the transfer portal in February before opting to return.

The 5-foot-10, 159-pounder was Auburn’s fifth-leading receiver last season, catching 19 passes for 274 yards and a pair of touchdowns in 12 games as a redshirt sophomore. He led the team with 14.42 yards per reception.

Football: Auburn vs Mississippi State

Ja'Varrius Johnson (6) runs the ball during the game between Auburn and Mississippi State at Jordan-Hare Stadium. (Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics)Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Johnson joins fifth-year senior Shedrick Jackson as one of the Tigers few experienced options at the position.

“Ja’Varrius can fly,” Floyd said. “He has elite speed. He can beat you over the top and has great hands. Sometimes the receivers that aren’t as big don’t catch it as well, but he has great ball skills.”

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Kelly was one of the top players in the Class of 2022. He caught a region-best 84 passes for 1,335 yards and 13 touchdowns for the Huskies and was selected Class 7A first-team all-state.

“Omari does a little of everything,” Floyd said. “He’s just a well-rounded player. He’s got good size. He has length and great ball skills. He’s just a guy who does a lot of things well. We are going to miss him for sure this year.”

Worsham’s transfer from Miami will add needed depth to the position for Auburn. The one-time Alabama commit was a top 20 player in the Class of 2020. He finished high high school career with 28 touchdowns and more than 2,300 receiving yards.

“I know he’s excited about the opportunity,” Floyd said. “He’s excited to get closer to home. He knows some of the guys on the team already obviously and has that connection. He came by the school this week. He looks good. He’s been working hard. I’m hoping for the best for him down there.”

Worsham didn’t catch a pass in his one collegiate game in 2020. He was on the practice squad last season as the Hurricanes went 7-5.

“In high school what separated Daz was that he was a great route runner,” Floyd said. “He routes were always very precise. He is really good in and out of his breaks and was able to win a lot of 1-on-1 situations. He runs well. He’s tall. He has good size.

“It will be fun to see all those guys together for sure.”

• Like 1

Well, we certainly need receivers, that's for sure! I'd forgotten about signing Omari, he might be the best receiver on the team...

• Like 1

Having 2 nephews that graduated from HT, and from living there for 8 years myself, I'm really excited to see more Ex-Huskies becoming  Auburn Tigers.  Now we need a stud DL from them next...

• Like 1