Only P5 team without 1000 yd Receiver

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, metafour said:

But you still miss the point completely.

Championships are won by teams with elite QB's. To sign elite QB's, you need to present them with elite WR's and an offensive scheme that will have them throwing the ball. To sign elite WR's, you need to present them with elite QB's as well as a track record of success at the WR position.

You're not getting Bruce Young here under the premise that you're Auburn and you're going to pound the rock and have him master the art of handing the ball off.

So you are intentionally LIMITING the ceiling of your football team with this nonsense. Apart from Georgia, name me the last team that won a championship without an elite QB. It took 2021 Georgia having one of the best defenses of all time to do it (they broke an NFL record for players drafted).

You are living in the past. Every NFL team understands this as well, hence why all the best NFL teams are centered around elite QB's who burn teams through the air with elite WR's and TE's. When you have an elite QB and pass catching targets that scare teams, the RB is a plug-and-play position. This whole "build around the RB" nonsense is a long outdated premise. Even Nick Saban, who used to be your typical defensive minded HC who wanted to play "ball control" on offense, has long abandoned that philosophy.

Look at 2021 Clemson: the fact that they had a complete dud at QB last year is why they lost 3 games. Every other season is a ~0-2 loss season for them. The QB is the most important player on the field.

I totally understand the point. It’s been presented like Auburn doesn’t pass the ball in which they did. Maybe the scheme could be better but in most games with slightly better qb play Auburn wins.

Also plug in play in the NFL are not necessarily true for all teams. U have Henry, Kamara, Taylor,Jones and Cook to name a few. When these guys are out the team is significantly different and not in a good way. 
At this points it’s whatever thats gonna get u a W. What good will a 1k receiver do CBH this season if the team has a losing record. 

On 7/26/2022 at 10:19 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Look at Saban across the state. Until lane kiffin became their oc he was your typical head coach with a defensive background . Run first. Control the clock and play great defense. He adapted and now they have consistently one of the top 3-5 most fun and successful offenses in college football every season. Un real.

Adapting only works if you have the players. Going from McElroy to Tua, Jones, and Young was bigger than a change in philosophy so it goes back to recruiting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, metafour said:

Championships are won by teams with elite QB's.

Yeah! That Stetson Bennett dude at UGA comes to mind. Is he elite or what!

57 minutes ago, Mikey said:

When your defense gives up 10 points a game, your team could win with Mikey at QB.  What a DA!

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

Why on Earth would you be arguing ANYTHING in this thread? Why would you be against this team being productive? 

It's that type of thinking that has us in the predicament we are in, that refuse to change. 

There are 65 P5 schools and we are at the very last of this important stat, but it's only because of factors that make us feel better about our favorite team. 

@DAGnailed it. The problem is we haven't had consistent QB play in years. It is so frustrating. I want 2 things more than anything:

Beat UGA. 

3 or 4 years of consistent, above SEC average QB play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, cbo said:

There are 65 P5 schools and we are at the very last of this important stat, but it's only because of factors that make us feel better about our favorite team. 

@DAGnailed it. The problem is we haven't had consistent QB play in years. It is so frustrating. I want 2 things more than anything:

Beat UGA. 

This is what I was getting at. Maybe my argument was presented wrong. How many times in games. Passes were over thrown or under thrown. This is presented like Auburn doesn’t throw at all. For example had Bo just been average Auburn beats LSU, Florida and Georgia. I can’t recall the Tamu game but I know he didn’t play well in those. So again this harping on 1k receivers is meaningless IMO.

14 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Trivia question that I'm too lazy to google.

Which was the last National Champion NCAA D1 team that did not have it's QB drafted into the NFL? (See what I did there?)

Jacob Coker. At least  until Stetson Bennett when his eligibility runs out in 2037. Surprise! The only 2 teams to win a natty recently with not elite qb play were the 2 teams who are the most talented team in the country almost every year now! Let’s just take a look at the college football playoff era. Even Ohio states third string qb who won the natty for them in the first year of the college football playoffs Cardale Jones was drafted.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Leave it to you to name 1 of the 2 recent outliers which takes the best talent in the country surrounding them to pull it off and ignore Mac Jones, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, Jalen Hurts/Tua and Deshaun Watson. All of those guys were first round picks besides Jalen. And he just led his team the Eagles to a playoff appearance last season. 2 of them were the number 1 overall pick. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cbo said:

Beat UGA. 

Right. And with how we hyped him you would think that it couldn't be said that Bo at the very least was consistent....but anyway

Evaluating QB's need to be the very top list.....we really messed up when we didn't accept Lamar Jackson....if we had we now show we are the school where athletic QB's can come and thrive and we would be ahead of the curve. Also when you have Watson, Lawrence, and fields so close to you and they don't want to go to bammer......you have to hit on at least one of them

• Like 3

8 hours ago, oracle79 said:

When your defense gives up 10 points a game, your team could win with Mikey at QB.  What a DA!

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Leave it to you to name 1 of the 2 recent outliers which takes the best talent in the country surrounding them to pull it off

The statement was made that championships are won by teams with elite QB's. Bennett proves that statement to be false. End of story.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

The statement was made that championships are won by teams with elite QB's. Bennett proves that statement to be false. End of story.

Everyone jokes on Bennett, but he had very very good QBR, efficiency, yards per attempt. Arguably one of the best and most successful/efficient seasons any Georgia QB has ever had. 

He didn't have to be Superman. But when his number was called, he always made the play. 

UGA doesnt win without him starting. UGA doesn't win with most other QBs either. 

He would have also fit perfectly into the old Saban teams early in his tenure at Bama. 

• Like 3

Stetson had a 4 - 1 Touchdown to interception ratio 

He had close to a 65 percentage completion rating 

and averaged about 4 yards per carry. He has quality stats. Better stats than some 4 or 5 star QBs I’ve seen. 

Edited by DAG

On 7/28/2022 at 4:33 PM, oracle79 said:

Trivia question that I'm too lazy to google.

Which was the last National Champion NCAA D1 team that did not have it's QB drafted into the NFL? (See what I did there?)

UGA 2021 in a year or so

On 7/28/2022 at 7:00 PM, DAG said:

If that is what you got out of his original post, you have sorely missed the point. Football is dynamic and things change drastically. Matter of fact this is not just a football thing, you can even point to basketball and provide the same principles. The way you adapt to the game is what can attract these "elite" players. The discussion is not solely about the pool of elite players to choose from. I believe that is also a big reason Bruce Pearl has gotten some serious talent to get here (besides his personality). Recruits love his style of basketball, which makes sense because that is exactly how the NBA is played by most teams now, especially the elite teams.  You don't see too many teams playing a strictly half court offense, outside to in with a prominent big man and if they did, they probably aren't getting the elite talent as much as the next guy.

Not sure how I missed the point.  He talked about having to have an elite QB to win a championship.   That’s just his opinion and can be debunked by Georgia last year.  If anyone thinks their QB is elite, they don’t what elite is.   If you have a solid team in all areas, you only need an above average QB to compete for titles.   
I also understand his point of having a particular type of offense that attracts the top receivers and quarterbacks.    I would have agreed with that 5 years ago but not now.   It’s all about money and getting that player prepared to go pro now.   

It’s especially bad in the spread era.

But the 2004 corp should be mentioned. They had 4 guys that finished with 1000+ career receiving yards - Mix, Obomanu, Aromashodu, and Taylor. Ronnie and Cadillac also combined for like 500 yards receiving that year. 

That offense was amazing and really well balanced. Take a receiver or two away, and one of those starters could have eclipsed 1k.

• Like 1