Games Tonight 9-1-22

kennypowers

27 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Penn State wasn't that good last year either and still beat us so we'll see. 

Did you watch the game last night?

12 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Hope you are right. However, Penn State beat a decent team on the road and it was their first game of the season. 

I'd say Purdue lost more than Penn State beat them.  Some very questionable playcalling on Purdue's last drive gave Penn State way too much time to play with at the end.

I saw a mixed bag last night from Clifford. He took a nasty hit on the knee and clearly looked hobbled. Then u have an opener on the road against a conference foe and absolutely no run game. They were able to win the game even after Clifford threw a pick six. To me it says a lot if u can shake something like that off and still win the game. It’s hard to say how the games gonna turn out. We need to see Auburn play some games first.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, e808 said:

I saw a mixed bag last night from Clifford. He took a nasty hit on the knee and clearly looked hobbled. Then u have an opener on the road against a conference foe and absolutely no run game. They were able to win the game even after Clifford threw a pick six. To me it says a lot if u can shake something like that off and still win the game. It’s hard to say how the games gonna turn out. We need to see Auburn play some games first.

I agree, imo, Clifford never should have gotten the ball back with two minutes left on the clock, major clock management failure by Purdue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAG said:

people really need to be careful making assumption after 1 week of games. The biggest jump in improvement usually comes from week 1 to 2.

This^^^

The good news is our first few opponents certainly look beatable.    But we haven’t seen what we look like yet, and we can assume our opponents will improve between now and when we play them.  
Things won’t be the same week 3.   Let’s hope we’re getting better every day and we’re ready to go!

I saw poor coaching and resilient football teams in both of the big games last night. The Purdue coach Really struggled with time management. However the fact that Penn State came back to beat that team on the road says something. And on the Last drive Clifford looked amazing. 
Penn State has a very good defensive backfield. 
I think they are going to be more than a handful. They already know what it’s like to go into a hostile environment and win this season, and they already know what it’s like to beat us (last season). And yes I know that JH Stadium is one of the most hostile places to play. They will not be intimidated. 
I think we can win but we will have to play our best. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Anyone else find it funny that the majority of the guys that transferred back to Gus at UCF are hardly playing? So Gus thinks the guys from the previous staff are better than what he recruited to an SEC school. 

Was thinking about that last night. The most talented WR Gus left us did not even get a catch, as he appears to be at least 3rd on the depth chart over there. Guys like MAR, Gatewood, Lee Hunter, etc. still aren't getting any run. Basically he thinks the guys he recruited here in the SEC are not even G5 caliber.

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

Hope you are right. However, Penn State beat a decent team on the road and it was their first game of the season. 

That's true, but as a whole, we are better than Purdue. 

Also JHS is an entirely different animal. 

Our front 7 will feast this time around. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Didba said:

I agree, imo, Clifford never should have gotten the ball back with two minutes left on the clock, major clock management failure by Purdue.

Definitely some head scratching calls on that last Purdue drive. I would have definitely tried to run it more. PSU secondary seems to look ok but the dline looked vulnerable IMO

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

That's true, but as a whole, we are better than Purdue. 

Also JHS is an entirely different animal. 

Our front 7 will feast this time around. 

This is gonna be a deciding factor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, e808 said:

Definitely some head scratching calls on that last Purdue drive. I would have definitely tried to run it more. PSU secondary seems to look ok but the dline looked vulnerable IMO

Both lines for PSU looked pedestrian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

This is true but Penn State's OLine was horrible against Purdue and our Dline is much better than Purdue's.  Clifford also played very bad in a road environment and Jordan Hare will be a tougher environment than Purdue

On paper we are better but we haven’t seen our team play a snap. They don’t play us until week 3. That is more than enough time to sure up some stuff and prepare for the hostile environment. So I am not as confident to declare we will bear PSU. Every week is different and I think last year was evident by our play that we must be careful with assuming. 

• Like 2

Wow! Okay, so obviously CBH is a terrible man to work for and ran off one of the best DCs ever but still, which of y'all wants to ask those who were wailing about Mason's dismissal if they still feel the same?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Anyone else find it funny that the majority of the guys that transferred back to Gus at UCF are hardly playing? So Gus thinks the guys from the previous staff are better than what he recruited to an SEC school. 

Right ? I’ve noticed that too. It’s always “others” transferred players. Is Kobe Hudson injured ?

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

“Too many guys just running free in the secondary in the second half. Not sure what to make of it. Even if playing base defense, guys shouldn’t be catching the ball with no defenders within 10-15 yards of them.”

Saw this posted by one of tOSU fans. Yikes.

I respect CDM but won’t lie, the way departure was handled if all the rumors were true, I didn’t particularly like. Hoping the defense we saw against Bama is as intense this weekend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Be careful what you say because the Gus Bus riders will be coming for you. 

• Like 1

I do like Gus as a person...just not a good HC unless he has EXACTLY the right players.  I actually think he got that when he got Plumlee this year, so naturally yes, Gus will probably make a NYD bowl this year playing in that conference.  Might actually go undefeated.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Wow! Okay, so obviously CBH is a terrible man to work for and ran off one of the best DCs ever but still, which of y'all wants to ask those who were wailing about Mason's dismissal if they still feel the same?

Fixed

• Dislike 1

47 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Fixed

Maybe that's how it should've been stated initially, but that's certainly not what people were screaming when he was dismissed or for the months that have followed

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Maybe that's how it should've been stated initially, but that's certainly not what people were screaming when he was dismissed or for the months that have followed

I wasn't a fan of either coordinator and got blasted for it last spring.  Mason only got worse at Vandy as his time went on.  I hated Mason's defense in season, even though it seemed to do OKish with respect to keeping points off the board.  That's the end goal (which I believe you've made during the season last year), but watching teams constantly destroy us and put up their season best Comp% vs us was always annoying.

Just now, W.E.D said:

I wasn't a fan of either coordinator and got blasted for it last spring.  Mason only got worse at Vandy as his time went on.  I hated Mason's defense in season, even though it seemed to do OKish with respect to keeping points off the board.  That's the end goal (which I believe you've made during the season last year), but watching teams constantly destroy us and put up their season best Comp% vs us was always annoying.

I was a fan of the hire. As a DC and coach, he is tops.  That said, the game has passed him by it seems a little.  The concepts he is relying on have been defeated and it's showing out on the field.  He is tireless though and will adapt accordingly. If not he'll be an analyst somewhere soon.  It was right for him to be replaced and I was very happy it happened. I think Schmed is going to surprise some.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think Schmed is going to surprise some.

I hope the rumors of his input and game planning vs Bama is true.  Give me more man, less soft zone/rush 3

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I hope the rumors of his input and game planning vs Bama is true.  Give me more man, less soft zone/rush 3

His Ds have always been considered a more aggressive style