College history instructor calls for ‘rally by the you-know-what’ to halt Cullman, AL pride event She Blames on the "Devil"

CoffeeTiger

On 10/1/2022 at 12:47 PM, DKW 86 said:

I have had black coworkers asked to leave businesses in Cullman, or at least state that. I have no doubt that they are truthful. I was not there however. I have several white friends and family from the Sand Mtn area that are as segregationist today as they were years ago. Scottsboro to Cullman they are pretty much alike. 

Absolutely. And some areas in Chattanooga. I forget which mountain. There's 3 it's not look out mountain and it's not signal mountain

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Absolutelynot true as far as how African Americans feel in Northwest Alabama. Many of us are taught to take the extra time and drive around this area instead of thru it, and never drive it at night. 

I found out while attending Auburn a bunch of us was taught this

I would agree with you Cole on this one. There's some different folks up there. In South Carolina (where I'm from) it tends to be the northwest corner of the state as well....must be something about the northwest corner of states. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Absolutelynot true as far as how African Americans feel in Northwest Alabama. Many of us are taught to take the extra time and drive around this area instead of thru it, and never drive it at night. 

I found out while attending Auburn a bunch of us was taught this

I’m sure at one time, as was the case for most of the state and south in general, that was reasonable. As I told DKW, Cullman has drastically changed in the past 20 years. I’d also be glad to visit with you and have lunch or what not as I extended the same offer to DKW. 

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

I would agree with you Cole on this one. There's some different folks up there. In South Carolina (where I'm from) it tends to be the northwest corner of the state as well....must be something about the northwest corner of states. 

Cullman is not northwest, its north central directly between Huntsville and Birmingham in the Tennessee Valley. Cole is from near Florence if I remember correctly and that’s northwest Alabama. So he was saying African Americans in his area were advised to avoid the Cullman area. 

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Absolutely. And some areas in Chattanooga. I forget which mountain. There's 3 it's not look out mountain and it's not signal mountain

I am so ashamed of my family from Sand Mountain. They are good folks in general. They just are 100% tone deaf about empathy with others. Profoundly, unrepentantly, tone deaf.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aubearcat said:

I’m sure at one time, as was the case for most of the state and south in general, that was reasonable. As I told DKW, Cullman has drastically changed in the past 20 years. I’d also be glad to visit with you and have lunch or what not as I extended the same offer to DKW. 

Well one of my experiences that I had right there in that Cullman/Moulton area has been in that 20 year gap as it actually happened to me because I disobeyed my mom and tried to cut through the area while traveling back home from college. 

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well one of my experiences that I had right there in that Cullman/Moulton area has been in that 20 year gap as it actually happened to me because I disobeyed my mom and tried to cut through the area while traveling back home from college. 

I know the reputation of Cullman.  I had a lawyer friend while I was in Auburn that was afraid to even drive through the area. However, the attitudes and everything has changed and is changing. There’s still dumb people that say and do dumb stuff but that’s everywhere. 
If you’re around this area, DM me and if I ain’t busy, we can go to one of the local restaurants (they’re the best-Dreher’s and 412 Public House are my favorites). Afterwards, go to my favorite local brewery, Goat Island, and have a great beer. 

45 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I know the reputation of Cullman.  I had a lawyer friend while I was in Auburn that was afraid to even drive through the area. However, the attitudes and everything has changed and is changing. There’s still dumb people that say and do dumb stuff but that’s everywhere. 
If you’re around this area, DM me and if I ain’t busy, we can go to one of the local restaurants (they’re the best-Dreher’s and 412 Public House are my favorites). Afterwards, go to my favorite local brewery, Goat Island, and have a great beer. 

Yeah I get you. I'm definitely not saying everyone is like that. And I live in Texas now but when I'm back home visiting I'll look you up. Brown's ferry nuclear is always trying to convince me to come there and work for them, maybe one day I'll end back up in the area

• Like 1

One thing though is of course hopefully it's changing but 10-20 years isn't that long ago and we still had things like don't go to this area and can't driv go to that area at night......and this is some of the things I try to show people on the forum but you get the group of angry people telling you, you are a race baiter, or you are lying, or you are a victim and all of that. 

I'm trying to explain why some feel how they feel and maybe open eyes to stuff I'm assuming others may not have even known, but as you can see for whatever reason there's a bunch of anger involved when you try to discuss race and it's not coming from my side.....That's the most perplexing thing that I run into on this board

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

One thing though is of course hopefully it's changing but 10-20 years isn't that long ago and we still had things like don't go to this area and can't driv go to that area at night......and this is some of the things I try to show people on the forum but you get the group of angry people telling you, you are a race baiter, or you are lying, or you are a victim and all of that. 

I'm trying to explain why some feel how they feel and maybe open eyes to stuff I'm assuming others may not have even known, but as you can see for whatever reason there's a bunch of anger involved when you try to discuss race and it's not coming from my side.....That's the most perplexing thing that I run into on this board

When I was in high school, early’90s, my high school was the only high school with any race other than white folks. Now, pretty much every school in the county has at least a minimal amount of racial diversity. I believe that being exposed to racial diversity helps a person to respect and somewhat empathize with others.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, autigeremt said:

All I know about SC is McBee and their speed traps can kiss my ass.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I am so ashamed of my family from Sand Mountain. They are good folks in general. They just are 100% tone deaf about empathy with others. Profoundly, unrepentantly, tone deaf.

I have a few of those in the Carolinas. It's unfortunately an issue in many areas of the world. 

On 10/14/2022 at 8:17 AM, aubearcat said:

My Black coworkers most recent incident was maybe 3 years ago at the lil convenience store across HWY 31 from Pasquales. She could almost pass for white, she is that light skinned. She has blond hair. She stopped there to get cigarettes, I know, one of her vices. She was run out of the store and refused service. This happened maybe at dusk in the late summer. Saturday or Sunday evening.

Edited by DKW 86

6 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

My Black coworkers most recent incident was maybe 3 years ago at the lil convenience store across HWY 31 from Pasquales. She could almost pass for white, she is that light skinned. She has blond hair. She stopped there to get cigarettes, I know one of her vices. She was run out of the store and refused service. This happened maybe at dusk in the late summer. Saturday or Sunday evening.

That’s a “Pure” gas station and I’ve never been there. I generally prefer name brand stuff. If that happened that’s awful.

I can say on the flip side of the coin, a guy that I work with, dark skinned African American comes to Cullman to buy his vehicles all the way from McCalla. He polices with me (although he has brain cancer now and will never work again) and is retired out of North Precinct in Birmingham before coming to our department. Another Birmingham retiree (African American) came to Cullman for a training class and she remarked how friendly everyone was to her and how much she enjoyed the restaurants and shops. Lastly, a coworker who is a younger fellow (also African American) comes to cullman to hang with me and he’s in a mixed marriage. 
None of that justifies what your friend said happened to her. I relay these stories because I feel like the incident with your friend is an outlier and a product of stupidity and a dying sentiment here. If it happened like she said it did, she should’ve reported to the BBB and made it known to anyone who would listen. 

Edited by aubearcat
  • Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 10:40 AM, aubearcat said:

That’s a “Pure” gas station and I’ve never been there. I generally prefer name brand stuff. If that happened that’s awful.

I can say on the flip side of the coin, a guy that I work with, dark skinned African American comes to Cullman to buy his vehicles all the way from McCalla. He polices with me (although he has brain cancer now and will never work again) and is retired out of North Precinct in Birmingham before coming to our department. Another Birmingham retiree (African American) came to Cullman for a training class and she remarked how friendly everyone was to her and how much she enjoyed the restaurants and shops. Lastly, a coworker who is a younger fellow (also African American) comes to cullman to hang with me and he’s in a mixed marriage. 
None of that justifies what your friend said happened to her. I relay these stories because I feel like the incident with your friend is an outlier and a product of stupidity and a dying sentiment here. If it happened like she said it did, she should’ve reported to the BBB and made it known to anyone who would listen. 

This is certainly what I prefer to believe.

I believe that change does happen - or the "arc of history bends toward justice".  (It simply has to or we are all lost.) But it's hard to accept that change comes so slowly, but I'm afraid it does.

That's exactly why Tuberville's recent comments - as the U.S. Senator representing Alabama - were so disturbing.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 3:35 AM, DKW 86 said:

My Black coworkers most recent incident was maybe 3 years ago at the lil convenience store across HWY 31 from Pasquales. She could almost pass for white, she is that light skinned. She has blond hair. She stopped there to get cigarettes, I know, one of her vices. She was run out of the store and refused service. This happened maybe at dusk in the late summer. Saturday or Sunday evening.

I've had 3 incidents there, twice by myself and once with my friend with me. It's a shame what how some bad people can get in positions of the highest authority

• Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 6:42 AM, DKW 86 said:

Of course. Probably been listening to old Brother SoandSo spew his racist venom for a couple of decades. She probably doesnt really know any bible, but she knows his opinion.

Indeed those pancake breakfasts usually have several self proclaimed commedians telling racist jokes

• Like 1

On this ladies Facebook page her profiles tag line is 

"Make Dixie Great Again"

And her cover photo is of a line of Confederate Civil War reenactors with an antebellum woman holding a confederate flag waving at them.

She posted a photo of the moon landing with a confederate battle flag in place of the US flag with the line "Southside of the moon" 

She's got the stereotypical Bible verses, and a Celebratory post about her heros Stonewall Jackson and Robert E Lee. 

I know civil war reenactments are a hobby for some, but This woman is a walking talking stereotype of southern people and Alabamians. Her entire identity and worldview is frozen in 1862....and shes a freaking college history teacher. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

On this ladies Facebook page her profiles tag line is 

"Make Dixie Great Again"

And her cover photo is of a line of Confederate Civil War reenactors with an antebellum woman holding a confederate flag waving at them.

She posted a photo of the moon landing with a confederate battle flag in place of the US flag with the line "Southside of the moon" 

She's got the stereotypical Bible verses, and a Celebratory post about her heros Stonewall Jackson and Robert E Lee. 

I know civil war reenactments are a hobby for some, but This woman is a walking talking stereotype of southern people and Alabamians. Her entire identity and worldview is frozen in 1862....and shes a freaking college history teacher. 

Her view of southern "culture" is demented, sick, sadistic, inhumane, evil.  The desire to romanticize the old south is disgusting.