College history instructor calls for ‘rally by the you-know-what’ to halt Cullman, AL pride event She Blames on the "Devil"

CoffeeTiger

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Unfortunately yes. It is still 1965 in Cullman.

I see you’re from Morgan county. I’m not sure why you’d have this opinion being close to Cullman. The tone and tenor here, I live in Cullman, has changed drastically in the last 20 years. It’s actually been rated as a top 3-5 micro-city in America for at least the past decade. CHS is commonly one of the top 10-20 high schools in Alabama. Businesses, manufacturing, restaurants, new homes,…etc booming. One of a handful of Alabama communities that have more people moving in than out. Yeah, there’s people here that have dumb opinions but tell me a place that doesn’t. You should come down this weekend and we’ll go to Oktoberfest and have some genuine German beer and food. Let me know if you’re in town and I’d be happy to have a lunch with you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

I hated freshman composition.  All three times.

I hope you gave them the ICHY special down vote 👎 on the way out, lol.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I see you’re from Morgan county. I’m not sure why you’d have this opinion being close to Cullman. The tone and tenor here, I live in Cullman, has changed drastically in the last 20 years. It’s actually been rated as a top 3-5 micro-city in America for at least the past decade. CHS is commonly one of the top 10-20 high schools in Alabama. Businesses, manufacturing, restaurants, new homes,…etc booming. One of a handful of Alabama communities that have more people moving in than out. Yeah, there’s people here that have dumb opinions but tell me a place that doesn’t. You should come down this weekend and we’ll go to Oktoberfest and have some genuine German beer and food. Let me know if you’re in town and I’d be happy to have a lunch with you. 

For reference. This article is out of date but I can’t find the most recent one that was on al.com in ‘21

https://www.madeinalabama.com/2017/03/top-micropolitan/

https://siteselection.com/issues/2021/mar/2020-top-micropolitans-the-nations-top-performing-micropolitan-areas-unmask-opportunities-in-tough-times.cfm

Edited by aubearcat

36 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

What is your opinion on the Leigh Ann Corrington's situation?

I've been reading through the comments on the local Cullman social media  news pages, and it seems a lot of people around Cullman seem to agree with the comments she made and believe she's in her right to voice them without getting in trouble from her job. 

3 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

What is your opinion on the Leigh Ann Corrington's situation?

I've been reading through the comments on the local Cullman social media  news pages, and it seems a lot of people around Cullman seem to agree with the comments she made and believe she's in her right to voice them without getting in trouble from her job. 

As a starting point, I’m a conservative libertarian. I don’t usually post in the political forum because it’s difficult to communicate thoughts and beliefs over the internet. However, if I wanted to have an event to celebrate my Catholic Beliefs or my beliefs on marriage, politics,…etc I should have the freedom to do so. The people that are gathering in Cullman to express their beliefs should also have the right to do so without discrimination. The instructor is obviously spewing some hateful and ignorant rhetoric and I don’t think that represents this community at all.  I may not agree with the views expressed but I’d want those that are at the rally to know they are loved and appreciated and are a part of community. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AU9377 said:

There is a difference between having views and imposing those views on the students someone teaches.  If someone attempted to fail you due to you being a vet, they also don't need to be teaching.  I simply have never known a professor that would do that.

We (a group of us) called him out on it and student government got involved. I think he adjusted after that. ;) 

• Like 1

It's not clear why she was ever hired to begin with, although it might be that they have a hard time attracting quality faculty at [George C.] Wallace State Community College. I haven't been able to find out much about her. No idea what her BA from Jax State was in. And her MA was received only 1 year after her BA with no evidence she wrote a thesis.

She refers to herself as a "professor" on Prabook (a bio resource where people post their own information) and is listed in Marquis Who's Who, which is also a free self-bio resource. She has never published any scholarly article requiring research.

As an instructor at a community college, she's now on administrative leave and will most likely not be hired to teach there (or anywhere else) in the future. Hello McDonalds.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 8:15 AM, The Freak said:

I remember that guy, or one just like him.  He did more damage to Christianity than anything I had seen to that point.  Ridiculous.

Bro Jed and Sister Cindy?

On 9/30/2022 at 11:18 AM, aubearcat said:

I have had black coworkers asked to leave businesses in Cullman, or at least state that. I have no doubt that they are truthful. I was not there however. I have several white friends and family from the Sand Mtn area that are as segregationist today as they were years ago. Scottsboro to Cullman they are pretty much alike. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I have had black coworkers asked to leave businesses in Cullman, or at least state that. I have no doubt that they are truthful. I was not there however. I have several white friends and family from the Sand Mtn area that are as segregationist today as they were years ago. Scottsboro to Cullman they are pretty much alike. 

Agree to disagree. Of course, as most places in Alabama, there’s more whites than other races. My neighborhood is filled with Hispanics and Asians. However, Cullman is one of few places outside of Huntsville and the beach in Alabama that is a jewel. Again, growing instead of shrinking. Plenty of decent jobs, good schools, nice neighborhoods at affordable prices, …etc. People can go on whatever they have “heard” about Cullman but I experience it.  It seems some people want to paint this community with a broad brush that simply doesn’t exist anymore. 
I work in Jefferson County with predominantly African Americans. Many of them visit Cullman and remark how nice it is and would like to move here to raise their children.  The articles I’ve referenced are just a few. Cullman may have once been a “Sundown Community” in Alabama but so was the whole state.  Again, come here and see for yourself and I’ll be glad to meet you and introduce you to our community. Decatur could learn from Cullman because goodness knows, the Beltlne is dead and decaying. 

Edited by aubearcat
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

https://www.cullmantimes.com/news/cullman-named-among-top-10-places-to-raise-a-family/article_8b6b1b34-5e97-11e5-a06f-7fbbaf52254f.html

again for reference 

5 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Not much of an "Acolade"

Actually, it's pretty funny for a failed state.

Okay…So I guess it’d be better to not be a top place to live? I mean I suppose you’re after the fact insulting Cullman because you’re insulting Alabama as whole. Again, okay. 

Edited by aubearcat

On 9/29/2022 at 8:36 AM, autigeremt said:

I agree but I've had the liberal side of her in college and no one seems to want them out of college settings. I had one professor try to fail me because I was a veteran here at Auburn. 

i am sorry for that. i know what you gave up.

58 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am sorry for that. i know what you gave up.

No worries. It was a good lesson learned in the end. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't think on Cullman, or any town in Alabama.  Geeze, I grew up down there and your accolades for some crappy little town outside a failing city like Birmingham is kind of a joke to me.

The only reason to move anywhere in Alabama is the weather.  And that's it. Nothing else.

That's why men and women like me don't come back.

Alabama is like a very uneducated Iowa.

2 hours ago, aubearcat said:

Okay…So I guess it’d be better to not be a top place to live? I mean I suppose you’re after the fact insulting Cullman because you’re insulting Alabama as whole. Again, okay. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

30 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

I wouldn't think on Cullman, or any town in Alabama.  Geeze, I grew up down there and your accolades for some crappy little town outside a failing city like Birmingham is kind of a joke to me.

The only reason to move anywhere in Alabama is the weather.  And that's it. Nothing else.

That's why men and women like me don't come back.

Alabama is like a very uneducated Iowa.

Okay, it isn’t my “accolades” but carry on. If you read the whole conversation, some of the “accolades” are being a top 3 micropolitan city in the nation. Also, why would you want to have anything to do with Auburn since you obviously hate Alabama so bad.

I suppose Auburn also being in the top 10 places to raise a family is nothing for the town to note because it’s just east of a decaying Montgomery. It’s okay if you hate Alabama and never want to move back but that’s not going to make me feel any less about my community. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:33 PM, AUDub said:

Not just Cullman, to be honest. After Jefferson County and up to the Decatur-Huntsville area, there are some serious pockets of humanity up that way.  One guy from Falkville got caught with guns and molotov cocktails on January 6th, IIRC. 

You don’t get out much, do you?

On 10/1/2022 at 12:58 PM, aubearcat said:

Agree to disagree. Of course, as most places in Alabama, there’s more whites than other races. My neighborhood is filled with Hispanics and Asians. However, Cullman is one of few places outside of Huntsville and the beach in Alabama that is a jewel. Again, growing instead of shrinking. Plenty of decent jobs, good schools, nice neighborhoods at affordable prices, …etc. People can go on whatever they have “heard” about Cullman but I experience it.  It seems some people want to paint this community with a broad brush that simply doesn’t exist anymore. 
I work in Jefferson County with predominantly African Americans. Many of them visit Cullman and remark how nice it is and would like to move here to raise their children.  The articles I’ve referenced are just a few. Cullman may have once been a “Sundown Community” in Alabama but so was the whole state.  Again, come here and see for yourself and I’ll be glad to meet you and introduce you to our community. Decatur could learn from Cullman because goodness knows, the Beltlne is dead and decaying. 

The over-the -Mountain area south of Birmingham, Mountain Brook to North Shelby, has an unmatched quality of life in the state.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 9/30/2022 at 12:24 PM, aubearcat said:

As a starting point, I’m a conservative libertarian. I don’t usually post in the political forum because it’s difficult to communicate thoughts and beliefs over the internet. However, if I wanted to have an event to celebrate my Catholic Beliefs or my beliefs on marriage, politics,…etc I should have the freedom to do so. The people that are gathering in Cullman to express their beliefs should also have the right to do so without discrimination. The instructor is obviously spewing some hateful and ignorant rhetoric and I don’t think that represents this community at all.  I may not agree with the views expressed but I’d want those that are at the rally to know they are loved and appreciated and are a part of community. 

from one musician to another i agree with you.

• Like 1

off topic, but somehow Wallace State Comm. college just beat Auburn's softball team 4-0 over the weekend in an exhibition game. 

Either Wallace State softball is VERY good or AU softball is in for a tough year. 

On 10/3/2022 at 1:50 PM, CoffeeTiger said:

off topic, but somehow Wallace State Comm. college just beat Auburn's softball team 4-0 over the weekend in an exhibition game. 

Either Wallace State softball is VERY good or AU softball is in for a tough year. 

Maybe a little of both? Auburn plays a lot of young ladies in the fall...still not a good look. 

I have multiple threads on this site telling people about Cullman Alabama coincidentally while being told.... Well nevermind. I'll just say I'm not surprised

On 10/1/2022 at 12:58 PM, aubearcat said:

Absolutelynot true as far as how African Americans feel in Northwest Alabama. Many of us are taught to take the extra time and drive around this area instead of thru it, and never drive it at night. 

I found out while attending Auburn a bunch of us was taught this

• Sad 1