2022-23 Coaching Search Thread

Zeek

Read on TOS. How would we feel if AU poached Lane from Ole Miss... The Ole Miss hired Deion? Any thoughts... Could be a real possibility.  I think Keith Carter would absolutely consider it.

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Read on TOS. How would we feel if AU poached Lane from Ole Miss... The Ole Miss hired Deion? Any thoughts... Could be a real possibility.  I think Keith Carter would absolutely consider it.

We’d be broke and ole miss would no longer be ole miss. Dear lord. Nightmare scenario.

Thanks for placing that in my head😋

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, DAG said:

Like I said , I think Deion has the most upside . He would be my number #1

kiffin and Freeze are interchangeable for me afterwards

Rhule 3rd

Grimes if everyone said no.

All of these guys can be successful here in my opinion.  How many can get us over the hump is a different story. 

I'm in general agreement.

I'm sure it's just a failure of imagination on my part, but I have a hard time imagining Kiffin lifting a national championship trophy as a head coach. I can see it with Deion and I can see it with Freeze (even though I'm not in the pro-Freeze camp for other reasons). 

Everyone including me likes Deion, but does he like Auburn? Does the leadership at Auburn like him enough to release him and let him do his job, and leave him alone. Will he have full autonomy on staffing decisions? He will definitely require a huge buyout because FSU will definitely call at some point. I think it’s a no brainer, publicity, endorsements, NIL opps all increase because he is a well known name, and icon in the sports world. This will translate to recruiting advantages. His personality is the only one I can see matching Saban/Kirby on the trail. So the bigger question is the X’s and O’s…what is his overall coaching philosophy? Defensively/Offensively? He will encounter teams with equal if not more talent than he has seen at JSU…what happens when the talent he has is not the advantage, what schemes, decisions etc will he make. 

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Actually you bring up another good point. We will benefit from this (so far) not being a huge coaching-vacancy year. However, if we skip Prime and poach another coach anywhere near by … dominos start falling. Prime is a competitive recruiting predator we might “unleash”. And we already have enough elite programs gnawing  away at us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

We have the opportunity for an earthshakingly great hire.

A coach that will automatically put us in a positive light. 
Take out the recruiting and X’s and O’s for a second and what we need is a coach who will automatically get us in a positive position in the college football landscape. Auburn is at 50 year low point. Yes we need a great coach and recruiter but we also need a coach who can re energize us and rehabilitate our image. 
Sanders is the man for the job.

Auburn could make history and change the whole image of who we are. 
He could turn us down, but we need to make him say no before we move on to someone else 

Totally agree. I would also like to point to what I saw on the GD telecast saturday. When Deion spoke everyone listened. I also got the impression that Coach Sanders demands accountability from his players, coaches and himself. That would be refreshing. JMO WDE

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yikes Memes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Interesting thought experiment.

The flip side is we go with Deion over Lane, and then Ole Miss owns us for the next decade.

Either scenario could happen.

4 minutes ago, msza said:

Interesting thought experiment.

The flip side is we go with Deion over Lane, and then Ole Miss owns us for the next decade.

Either scenario could happen.

That’s just false. Even Harsin was 1-1 against Kiffin, and he’s literally the worst coach we’ve had in the modern era of Auburn football…

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Everyone including me likes Deion, but does he like Auburn? Does the leadership at Auburn like him enough to release him and let him do his job, and leave him alone. Will he have full autonomy on staffing decisions? He will definitely require a huge buyout because FSU will definitely call at some point. I think it’s a no brainer, publicity, endorsements, NIL opps all increase because he is a well known name, and icon in the sports world. This will translate to recruiting advantages. His personality is the only one I can see matching Saban/Kirby on the trail. So the bigger question is the X’s and O’s…what is his overall coaching philosophy? Defensively/Offensively? He will encounter teams with equal if not more talent than he has seen at JSU…what happens when the talent he has is not the advantage, what schemes, decisions etc will he make. 

Hiw can anyone honestly answer these. I just know at present he probably has more NFL coaching experience on his staff than anyone else. That fact should answer all the on field coaching questions, IMO.

My only concern with Deion is assembling a staff. A lot of these guys have been in the coaching profession for 20+ years. Deion has been in it for 3 years. He obviously has a lot of connections through playing and being an analyst, I just don’t know how that translates to assembling a staff. I hope they interview him and give him every opportunity to win the job, because the upside is unmatched. 

48 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

That would be the most Auburn thing ever, which is why it is imperative we get Sanders NOW.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

We have the opportunity for an earthshakingly great hire.

A coach that will automatically put us in a positive light. 
Take out the recruiting and X’s and O’s for a second and what we need is a coach who will automatically get us in a positive position in the college football landscape. Auburn is at 50 year low point. Yes we need a great coach and recruiter but we also need a coach who can re energize us and rehabilitate our image. 
Sanders is the man for the job.

Auburn could make history and change the whole image of who we are. 
He could turn us down, but we need to make him say no before we move on to someone else 

Absolutely right! We need to jump on it now! 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

How would we feel if AU poached Lane from Ole Miss... The Ole Miss hired Deion? Any thoughts... Could be a real possibility.

Said this yesterday. Would absolutely suck. 

There just are no solid Plan B’s if AU says no thanks to Prime. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Long time listener, first time poster.

Prime is the answer, not just for the football program but imagine the impact he will have on recruiting for baseball, probably basketball, hell maybe even equestrian and golf teams. 

He's smart enough to, with enough money, surround himself with all sorts of talent on staff.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

My only concern with Deion is assembling a staff. A lot of these guys have been in the coaching profession for 20+ years. Deion has been in it for 3 years. He obviously has a lot of connections through playing and being an analyst, I just don’t know how that translates to assembling a staff. I hope they interview him and give him every opportunity to win the job, because the upside is unmatched. 

The mere possibility of him coming to Auburn, already has recruits talking about it.  Coaches are probably talking about it too.  From many years playing for many coaches, I suspect he has a good idea of what works well in a coach, especially from a player's perspective.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gctiger said:

Anything is negotiable, including non-compete clauses.  

Who is your fav candidate, oh great facepalmer of no opinion?

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm just waiting for the super coaching candidate that's a fantastic recruiter and fantastic strategist that has no questions.....

There’s only one of those and he coaches in Tuscaloosa. 

• Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, Viper said:

Who is your fav candidate, oh great facepalmer of no opinion?

I’m doing proper due diligence, so much like the decision maker(s) I haven’t decided yet, but I can assure you that it won’t be the newest flavor of the month…

The face palm was in regard to your opinionated statement saying that there’s no Plan B when there’s no way you could possibly know that!

Edited by gctiger
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Oh. Don't think that would be an issue.  But let's dream up something to worry about, shall we

Maybe what the poster meant was,  the alumni and boosters that Deon would be too black for. Hip hop pre game, big ass gold chains, etc. 80+% of the players that see the field at Auburn will always be black so recruiting Deon's way will be an advantage. Maybe if he comes here and wins, even the cotton haired old men in the luxury boxes will grow to support him. But you gotta get him here first, and we may have too many influential booster types who don't get black culture that would keep him from being hired- or make him not want to deal with the drama. 

Ugh…I’d bet money they would do exactly that too. Which is why WE should go for Deion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

We don't know if Deion could recruit in the sec or at a P5

Kids are already saying they'd flip if Deion came to Auburn. I'd say he's already recruiting well here and he doesn't even have the job.............yet. Ha. 

• Like 1

That would be something, he leaves an HBCU to go to a university that is still trying to eradicate the Colonel Reb from their iconography. 

• Like 1