Rece Davis Should Be Fired from Game Day

ScotsAU

Rece Davis calls Auburn’s treatment of Bryan Harsin ‘disgraceful,’ ‘despicable’

Bryan Harsin never really had a chance at Auburn.

The Tigers just didn’t want him, according to Rece Davis.

The “College GameDay” host, who the College GameDay podcast, was critical of the Auburn treated Harsin, who was fired Monday as the head coach. Specifically, Davis pointed to a school investigation into his program in the offseason that was initiated by then-President Jay Gogue following heavy turnover on his roster and coaching staff.

“What happened to Bryan Harsin in the offseason was disgraceful. I mean, despicable,” he said on ESPN’s College GameDay podcast. “You don’t want him? Pay the man his money. You end up having to do it anyway. Just say, ‘You know what? We didn’t want this’ and send him on his way. Instead, they did something nefarious and unfair. If somehow, and it won’t, but if somehow, it’s proven that they had grounds for that and couldn’t prove it, then I’ll apologize, but right now I won’t. I thought it was disgraceful what they did to him.”

He stood tall through it. Did the best he could. They lost a bunch of double-digit leads, too, so he’s not without blame here, but I don’t think it had risen on the field to be the level of a fireable offense. They just didn’t want him.”

Auburn fired Harsin on Monday after less than two seasons. Harsin went 9-12 overall and 3-5 this year. Auburn has lost four straight games while struggling against Power Five opponents, including a 41-27 loss to Arkansas on Saturday that proved the final straw. 

Auburn will owe Harsin 70 percent of his remaining contract — more than $15 million — and half of that must be paid within 30 days.
Harsin was hired away from Boise State in December 2020 and Auburn gave him a six-year, $31.5 million deal. He never came close to replicating his past success or making the Tigers competitive in the SEC, and he failed to keep up with rivals Georgia and Alabama on the field or on the recruiting trail.

Fair or not, this was always coming back to haunt us. It just wasn’t a good look, especially a year after the +20m Gus buy out. In terms of national perception (which matters), a well executed coaching search and respected or exciting hire would mend a lot.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

Harsin is Tony Barbee. Let’s go find our Bruce. Wde!

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. We needed Barbee to fail as miserably as he did so that we could get one of the best things to happen to Auburn in Bruce. Harsin is just as bad and has made Auburn Football the laughing stock of the SEC. I hope that everyone in power realizes this and they go out and hit a grand slam with this hire. Auburn can't afford to make another mistake. You have to force someone like Deion to say no to you.

• Like 1

Worry about what you can control, not what you can’t.  The past is gone, we need to look forward and find a great hire / coach.  The media has a short attention span and will move on quickly.

lots of things went wrong with the Harsin era - just hope those with influence and ability learned from it.   

• Like 2

I mean, if Auburn boosters ran with a fabricated story that could've destroyed a family, wouldn't that be disgraceful? 

I can be thrilled that he's gone and also not be happy with February at the same time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Davis and McElroy both!!!   Let them run their mouths.   Let the ignorant masses believe them.   Let’s just focus on rebuilding our program!  There will be a new “earth shattering” story for them to blab about next week.   

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Tell me you don’t know the full story without telling me you don’t know the full story. 

Listen friends, they were gonna say what they were gonna say no matter what. We will be the media headline for 1-2 weeks and then they’ll move on to the next thing. Let’s not let the national media gaslight us into thinking we didn’t need to do this. 

Let’s stick together and get a guy that loves Auburn, will fight for Auburn, and will work for Auburn. 

^This^

• Like 4
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

^This^

15 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

^This^

Yup. Short term memory and move on. Hiring the right coach and it disappears completely while Game Day heads jump back on the wagon. No name press release was the start.

• WarTiger changed the title to Reece Davis Should Be Fired from Game Day

I don’t know why you guys are surprised . Go to other fans boards . Majority of them feel the same. The optics will always be like that , hence why CBH will get another job if he wants it soon. That’s why I didn’t understand the fans clamoring not to fire him . He is not going to get fired over his opinion. Holy crap .

• Like 1

• RunInRed changed the title to Rece Davis Should Be Fired from Game Day
10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t know why you guys are surprised . Go to other fans boards . Majority of them feel the same. The optics will always be like that , hence why CBH will get another job if he wants it soon. That’s why I didn’t understand the fans clamoring not to fire him . He is not going to get fired over his opinion. Holy crap .

Totally unrelated,  but wanted to get your take. I mentioned in another thread could Caddy be our Dabo Swinney.... any thoughts? Is it crazy?

11 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Totally unrelated,  but wanted to get your take. I mentioned in another thread could Caddy be our Dabo Swinney.... any thoughts? Is it crazy?

Way too early to tell. Dabo and been in his role sometime and was known as a NATIONAL treasure as a recruiter. Caddy got some work to do to get that respect.

In Rece Davis, you're talking about a guy who literally wore an item of bammer clothing to school every single day of HS. He tries to hide it on TV, but it pops out periodically. 

He is actually right. Why would anyone want to coach at Auburn when they know if the boosters suddenly don't want you, they will create false stories to try to destroy your reputation & your family...

• Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 3

3 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I mean, if Auburn boosters ran with a fabricated story that could've destroyed a family, wouldn't that be disgraceful? 

I can be thrilled that he's gone and also not be happy with February at the same time. 

💯

Edited by Auburn02

6 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Tell me you don’t know the full story without telling me you don’t know the full story. 

Listen friends, they were gonna say what they were gonna say no matter what. We will be the media headline for 1-2 weeks and then they’ll move on to the next thing. Let’s not let the national media gaslight us into thinking we didn’t need to do this. 

Let’s stick together and get a guy that loves Auburn, will fight for Auburn, and will work for Auburn. 

WELL SAID

3 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Auburn boosters did NOT run with a fabricated story. Stop believing the bammer media. Rece Davis is simply another one of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1