Play Chart

JMassie11

Was mentioned before the game that the staff in the 3 days to prepare had trouble figuring out the chart. This tells me that only 2 guys even had access to it and the chart in my guess would have predetermined plays based on down, distance and field location.

After the 1/2 you got the sense that the chart was scrapped and plays were pulled that we knew would work and stuck with that. Will be interesting how this develops into next Saturday 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Play calling was pretty on point during the 2nd half. The 1st half jet-sweep 4thdown play call was rough but not as bad as Harsins south carolina 4th down call from last year.

Can we add to our 2pt conversion plays that one Bobo had in the iron bowl that was a little bit of a trick play? Thatd be great.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

I think we have to see A&M as game #2. I expect this team to improve a good bit as we move towards the Iron Bowl. 

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I actually didn't mind the jet sweep.  If Deal doesn't completely whiff on his block, its a first down conversion.

And we damn sure weren't gonna get enough push up the middle to get it

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

Was mentioned before the game that the staff in the 3 days to prepare had trouble figuring out the chart. This tells me that only 2 guys even had access to it and the chart in my guess would have predetermined plays based on down, distance and field location.

After the 1/2 you got the sense that the chart was scrapped and plays were pulled that we knew would work and stuck with that. Will be interesting how this develops into next Saturday 

Is it normal for only the HC and the OC to know the play chart? 

17 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Is it normal for only the HC and the OC to know the play chart? 

I would say no but this goes to some of the things that @bigbirdand others have alluded to

• Like 1

Caddy was determined to pound the rock.  Tank and JH had good nights.  RA doesn’t need to throw the ball.  Let’s just run the wishbone or triple option!

Is the play chart the same as using analytics? Sorry, I’ve watched football my whole life but still don’t know all that goes into game planning.  I’m a football mom but never played obviously.  I hear some coaches including Lane like to use analytics.  I don’t like solely calling plays based on analytics and that’s one of the things that worries me about Lane if we end up with him (which TBH, I don’t think we get him.  I think he’s using us for a raise).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I was surprised how different the offense looked in only a couple days.  Lots of under center by Robby.  

I don’t think I watched the same game that you did.  

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

And we damn sure weren't gonna get enough push up the middle to get it

True but I would have preferred a sneak, with Shenker at FB and maybe Deal in motion to help with the push. RA is a big strong kid, but MSU was probably expecting the sneak. Friend's play call should have worked except for the whiff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

I would say no but this goes to some of the things that @bigbirdand others have alluded to

Harsin's play chart. Not quite what I expected. But, then again ...

AllWorkAndNoPlay.webp

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ber798297 said:

Is the play chart the same as using analytics? Sorry, I’ve watched football my whole life but still don’t know all that goes into game planning.  I’m a football mom but never played obviously.  I hear some coaches including Lane like to use analytics.  I don’t like solely calling plays based on analytics and that’s one of the things that worries me about Lane if we end up with him (which TBH, I don’t think we get him.  I think he’s using us for a raise).

I’m right there with you.  My husband explained to me that analytics are the probabilities.  For example, if you are on the 25 on 4th and 1, what is the probability that you will make it against a certain team.  More complicated than that, I’m sure.  The play chart is all the different plays and what plays to use when, I think.  Hubs said that the HC and OC are usually the ones who know the play chart, because the position coaches only should be thinking about the individual play that the coach calls and who to put in for that play.  It simplifies the job for the position coach. 

Does that sound correct, guys? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @3rdgeneration, we girls need to take a course in game planning.  When my son started playing HS football, I was hoping to learn more about Xs and Os by helping him learn his playbook.  But it was all done online and he didn’t need my help.  Missed opportunity there. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Friend/Hilliard would have had no reason to see the chart. They were not involved in calling plays before this point.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, AUY2K said:

Caddy was determined to pound the rock.  Tank and JH had good nights.  RA doesn’t need to throw the ball.  Let’s just run the wishbone or triple option!

Theres no way to change to a total different offense at this time.

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Friend/Hilliard would have had no reason to see the chart. They were not involved in calling plays before this point.

Keeping the play chart isolated to only 2 coaches is not a good idea 

4 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Keeping the play chart isolated to only 2 coaches is not a good idea 

#1.  The announcer made that assumption (that they were unfamiliar with the play chart, doesn’t mean it had been isolated from them). 
#2. What value would it give a position coach to spend enough time with each game’s play chart (I have heard before they look different fir each game) to be able to call plays.

Doesn’t seem logical to me.

• Like 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

#1.  The announcer made that assumption (that they were unfamiliar with the play chart, doesn’t mean it had been isolated from them). 
#2. What value would it give a position coach to spend enough time with each game’s play chart (I have heard before they look different fir each game) to be able to call plays.

Doesn’t seem logical to me.

The announcer referenced Friend directly stating they had 3 days to figure it out because they didn’t have access to it

how is it not logical for your coaches on the field to be in sync with what’s going on in the booth?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ber798297 said:

Thanks @3rdgeneration, we girls need to take a course in game planning.  When my son started playing HS football, I was hoping to learn more about Xs and Os by helping him learn his playbook.  But it was all done online and he didn’t need my help.  Missed opportunity there. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ve got one of those husbands that talks nonstop during the game. 🙄 Every now and then, I pay attention! 😂 He does know football pretty well and I have learned some things from him and also a lot from the guys/gals in this board.  Mostly, I’m that emotional fan, not an analytical one.  

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

The announcer referenced Friend directly stating they had 3 days to figure it out because they didn’t have access to it

how is it not logical for your coaches on the field to be in sync with what’s going on in the booth?

Its my bet Simmons (new offensive line coach) did spend time getting familiar with this games play sheet. Agree to disagree.

• Dislike 1