Happy Veterans Day!

aubiefifty

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Thanks to the American taxpayers and United States Air Force for giving me a place to grow up, teaching me many valuable life lessons and providing me with three square meals and a roof over my head for four years.

I entered the Service as a 17 year old high school dropout with a dim future and four years later I came out as a young man with a GED, a letter of acceptance to college in hand and a plan for my life. Though I never used my training after Air Force days I also had a trade, Aircraft Mechanic that I could have fallen back on at any time.

I gave the Service an honest day's work for four years and in return I got more out of it than I put in.

i did the same except i was homeless. the military gave me more than i ever gave them and i gave them four years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i did the same except i was homeless. the military gave me more than i ever gave them and i gave them four years.

Outstanding! I enjoyed my 10 years combined multi-branch service. The mission was well worth the time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I dropped out of school (Auburn) in 1969 and got drafted in October of 1970. Went to basic training at Ft.Polk and AIT at Ft.McCellan. Sent to Vietnam in 1971 and came home in 1972.

I was one of three in my family (cousins) to go to RVN and sadly I am the only one that came home alive. The two that died were both better people than me and they were both married.

That is a burden I carry to this day. Some of what happened is my fault, but I came from a fractured family and it is just hard not to do stupid things when you are 19/20 years old.

After the military I returned to school and graduated from Auburn in December of 1975. I worked for (41) years after college. I owe my career to Auburn University and the professors that taught me.

Veterans Day and especially Memorial day are hard days for me and I imagine many others on this board.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Veterans Day and especially Memorial day are hard days for me and I imagine many others on this board.

Blessings to you CR!

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I would like to hear your story 50... if you care to share Dm me plz

18 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

I dropped out of school (Auburn) in 1969 and got drafted in October of 1970. Went to basic training at Ft.Polk and AIT at Ft.McCellan. Sent to Vietnam in 1971 and came home in 1972.

I was one of three in my family (cousins) to go to RVN and sadly I am the only one that came home alive. The two that died were both better people than me and they were both married.

That is a burden I carry to this day. Some of what happened is my fault, but I came from a fractured family and it is just hard not to do stupid things when you are 19/20 years old.

After the military I returned to school and graduated from Auburn in December of 1975. I worked for (41) years after college. I owe my career to Auburn University and the professors that taught me.

Same goes for you CR, I would like to hear your story as well if you want to share it DM me please. 

Thanks to ALL who served. God bless!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

I know exactly what you mean Code. My thoughts have been on a few that I served with during that dam war, and especially one of my very best friends that is laying in the cemetery at the church we both attended as kids about 1/2 mile from my home. I do visit his grave often. He was a very good young man taken way too soon from this life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I decided to join right out of high school in 1971 had to wait till December to get my clearance all complete. Served 3 yrs as enlisted and received a direct commission after 3 yrs and served another 3 yrs. Like the rest have said the military opened so many doors in my life. It was truly an honor to serve. Thank you  to all my brothers and sisters in arms who served as well. US Army 1971-1978

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

First of all thank you for your service. I might feel the same as you if I were in your shoes but as someone outside looking in I will say this instead...the two cousins who died were not better people than you. We aren't defined by our length of life but rather what we accomplish in our life. God just wasn't finished with you yet. Your cousins impacted some, you have impacted others. God bless you. 

It is so, so sad that American veterans die at such a high rate due to suicide. I know veterans do not receive the mental health care they need following service. And even your normal average veterans do not receive decent medical care through the VA system. It's a disgrace.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AURex said:

It is so, so sad that American veterans die at such a high rate due to suicide. I know veterans do not receive the mental health care they need following service. And even your normal average veterans do not receive decent medical care through the VA system. It's a disgrace.

My wife's brother, a Viet Nam veteran, died in a VA hospital after a lengthy illness. He was a single man and we had to take care of his appointments, etc.  Navigating the VA healthcare system is a nightmare! We are not clueless. I'm a college graduate with a long professional career in management and my wife is a nurse and we still had lots and lots of difficulties. I can't imagine how difficult it would be for a veteran who didn't have a lot of family help.  Something needs to be done!

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who served.  I was lucky that the Navy gave me a scholly to AU and eventually sent me to the Naval Postgraduate School for a Masters.  I was lucky because I came home as each deployment we lost someone through training or actual combat.  Overall I have been lucky to do 28 years both active and reserve.  Got to see some interesting places all over the world and a few no one would want to vacation at!...Hope all had a good day yesterday...

Thank you, US military for the arthritis, bone spurs, hypersomnia, and herniated disc! Not many 34 year olds out there who get to walk around with a cane LOL. In all seriousness, thank you to all the vets on here.

Semper Fidelis Never Jealous!