2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

We seeing players leaving our program at a pretty good pace, but not bringing them in...Starting to get concerned about this...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

51 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

We seeing players leaving our program at a pretty good pace, but not bringing them in...Starting to get concerned about this...

I actually thought the attrition has been pretty low considering where we are at 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

I actually thought the attrition has been pretty low considering where we are at 🤷🏼‍♂️

It is BUT, the players we lost were not impact players.. I think all of them were meh except for Mba... We need a QB bad and a really good WR, and O Line & D Line& LB needs some backups to solidify...

We just not signing incoming talent like I figured we would.....

Edited by ArgoEagle

On 4/27/2023 at 5:14 PM, AUwent said:

I know this is a "Mrs. Lincoln" statement, but the 2024 class going so well for them is the only way in which Napier's tenure doesn't mirror Potato Head's thus far (Richardson = Nix).

Spot on. Napier hasn't impressed many people. There's an FPI ranking of the SEC someone posted a few days ago on this board. For 2023, Vandy is #14, Auburn is #13 and Florida is #12. I think that his recruiting is the only thing keeping him off the hot seat. If he loses 4 or 5 games this season, fans will call for his head. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Most of the players who left weren't going to play significantly and we were over the 85 at 1 one point so had to cut some fat anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

He must not have much confidence in our current quarterbacks

Micah-Riley Ducker also tweeted out to Tyler Buchner to visit the Plains. So that's 2 QB's in 3 days that he has openly and publically tried to get here. That's pretty telling.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Spot on. Napier hasn't impressed many people. There's an FPI ranking of the SEC someone posted a few days ago on this board. For 2023, Vandy is #14, Auburn is #13 and Florida is #12. I think that his recruiting is the only thing keeping him off the hot seat. If he loses 4 or 5 games this season, fans will call for his head. 

Now, because of said recruiting, I think he can still definitely be a success there.

Edited by AUwent

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Most of the players who left weren't going to play significantly and we were over the 85 at 1 one point so had to cut some fat anyway.

Thanks E. I basically said the same thing 2 posts above yours..Glad we on the same page.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Micah-Riley Ducker also tweeted out to Tyler Buchner to visit the Plains. So that's 2 QB's in 3 days that he has openly and publically tried to get here. That's pretty telling.

Not real smart IMO. It's one thing to wish for it, another thing to put it on the tweeter

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 4

I saw a quote (sorry, I can't remember where) of CHF saying that the portal was "slower" than expected.

Well, fast or slow, there ain't much time left in the current window. And the pickins have been kinda thin so far.

I know this has been a question asked and the portal windows and such are confusing with all the changes, but according to these changes last fall, grad transfers aren’t limited to entering during the portal windows, but they still have to be in the portal by May 1 to be immediately eligible for fall sports, so they have a day or two more but not much longer than undergrad transfers. 

So whoever isn’t in the portal by then isn’t coming to Auburn to play this fall….that should end SOME speculation (cough McCall cough) based on who enters over the next three days.  

I haven’t found anything where this rule has changed since it was modified last fall.  

Edit:  also not sure if this applies the same to DII athletes.  You would think they could simplify these portal regulations, so many changes and they are a little confusing trying to figure out what is still in effect and what applies to who. 

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/9/21/media-center-di-council-modifies-transfer-rules-for-postgraduate-students.aspx

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

McCall

I don’t think anyone has mentioned him yet.  

No but I did see this a few days ago while on I-65.

PhotoGrid_1682769210508.jpg

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, gr82be said:

No but I did see this a few days ago while on I-65.

PhotoGrid_1682769210508.jpg

“Go to Auburn or the Devil will getcha” might have more of an affect. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

JLEE, Cole, and JHead are saying things are quiet. They "think" it means the coaching staff is keep someone close to the vest. I "think" it means that there aren't serious discussions outside of maybe a visit that is happening. So I have come to the conclusion that the staff will ride with the current QBs and to me that means 6 wins tops.

• Angry 1

35 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

JLEE, Cole, and JHead are saying things are quiet. They "think" it means the coaching staff is keep someone close to the vest. I "think" it means that there aren't serious discussions outside of maybe a visit that is happening. So I have come to the conclusion that the staff will ride with the current QBs and to me that means 6 wins tops.

Check out the schedule. If AU wins six or fewer games it won't be solely on QB's. There would have to be some coaches earning D's and F's along the way as well. We should do eight wins with the QB's currently on the roster. No matter who might be brought in, more than 9 wins looks out of reach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

You may be right, but I don't think your logic follows. Keeping someone close to the vest to me means they have someone they are talking to, and it's worth keeping them a secret. I would wager there are serious discussions. But again, that's just going off what you're saying they said

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

The end is all that matters. To pass, again, on an upgrade at QB you better be right bc there aren't going to be many...or possibly anymore.

31 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

You may be right, but I don't think your logic follows. Keeping someone close to the vest to me means they have someone they are talking to, and it's worth keeping them a secret. I would wager there are serious discussions. But again, that's just going off what you're saying they said

Exactly . Surprised that was concluded from the original post. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

I know this has been a question asked and the portal windows and such are confusing with all the changes, but according to these changes last fall, grad transfers aren’t limited to entering during the portal windows, but they still have to be in the portal by May 1 to be immediately eligible for fall sports, so they have a day or two more but not much longer than undergrad transfers. 

So whoever isn’t in the portal by then isn’t coming to Auburn to play this fall….that should end SOME speculation (cough McCall cough) based on who enters over the next three days.  

I haven’t found anything where this rule has changed since it was modified last fall.  

Edit:  also not sure if this applies the same to DII athletes.  You would think they could simplify these portal regulations, so many changes and they are a little confusing trying to figure out what is still in effect and what applies to who. 

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/9/21/media-center-di-council-modifies-transfer-rules-for-postgraduate-students.aspx

If my screen capture works…

this is the most confusing document I’ve read in a while. 

IMG_6154.jpeg

• Haha 1

James Madison pass-rusher Isaac Ukwu visiting Auburn on Saturday

On3 Staff Report•about 1 hour

(Photo by Tommy Martino/University of Montana via Getty Images)

One of the best pass-rushers in the NCAA transfer portal is currently on a visit to Auburn, with James Madison defensive end Isaac Ukwu tweeting out his locationon Saturday morning.

Auburn is among the several offers that Ukwu has collected in the few days he’s been in the portal.

The Tigers could use help in a lot of places, including the pass rush, and Ukwu would certainly fit the bill. He’s a disruptive pass-rusher who had three terrific playing seasons at James Madison.

In that span, Ukwu recorded 87 tackles, 27.5 tackles for a loss, 16.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and five passes defended. All 16.5 of his sacks came the last two seasons.

On top of the Auburn offer, California, Colorado, Kansas, Ole Miss, USF and West Virginia have also offered Isaac Ukwu as a transfer.

Wrote On3’s Matt Zenitz, when Ukwu hit the portal:

“There was an immediate buzz this week among college football personnel staffers and coaches after they started to take a look at Ukwu, who went into the portal Tuesday. The 6-foot-3, 260-pound Ukwu was a first-team All-Sun Belt selection last season, posting 40 tackles and 7.5 sacks. He’s become the top uncommitted defensive player in the portal, according to one Power Five personnel director. 

“Ole Miss, Auburn and Missouri among his early offers. ‘Probably the best thing he can do is rush the passer,’ a personnel staffer told On3. ‘He can get paid a lot of money to do that at the next level (in the NFL).’ Based on his play at James Madison, Ukwu is already on the radar for NFL scouts as a 2024 NFL draft prospect somewhere in the mid-Day 3 type range.”

Prior to enrolling at James Madison and later entering the NCAA transfer portal, Isaac Ukwu was an unrated recruit in the 2017 recruiting class. As a transfer, Ukwu has been graded as a four-star prospect with a 90.00 grade by On3.