Why we Like Freeze

AU-24

Tommy Tuberville possessed SEC experience but not Freeze’s credentials. Ralph “Shug” Jordan and Pat Dye excelled at Auburn, but they didn’t arrive with a track record matching Freeze’s. He has nine winning seasons in 10 years as an FBS coach.

True, hiring someone with a winning pedigree does not guarantee future success: See Texas A&M's Jimbo Fisher.

But, unlike Fisher, here’s the best part of Auburn’s hire: Freeze comes cheap – at least compared to the megadeals some Power Five schools have awarded to less-accomplished coaches.

Freeze received a six-year deal with an average annual salary of $6.5 million, the Montgomery Advertiser confirmed.

Comparatively, Eliah Drinkwitz is earning $6 million, and Drinkwitz has not posted a winning season in three years coaching Missouri.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2022/11/30/auburn-football-hugh-freeze-contract-details-salary-buyout/69681169007/

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Tommy Tuberville possessed SEC experience but not Freeze’s credentials. Ralph “Shug” Jordan and Pat Dye excelled at Auburn, but they didn’t arrive with a track record matching Freeze’s. He has nine winning seasons in 10 years as an FBS coach.

True, hiring someone with a winning pedigree does not guarantee future success: See Texas A&M's Jimbo Fisher.

But, unlike Fisher, here’s the best part of Auburn’s hire: Freeze comes cheap – at least compared to the megadeals some Power Five schools have awarded to less-accomplished coaches.

Freeze received a six-year deal with an average annual salary of $6.5 million, the Montgomery Advertiser confirmed.

Comparatively, Eliah Drinkwitz is earning $6 million, and Drinkwitz has not posted a winning season in three years coaching Missouri.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2022/11/30/auburn-football-hugh-freeze-contract-details-salary-buyout/69681169007/

I 2nd that motion!

• Like 1

JMHO.  I think Freeze really, really wanted this job. I believe he wanted this job a few years ago. If things go as he has envisioned them going, he will not be tempted by other offers down the road.

PS: Just poured myself a cold one in hopes that he succeeds and I am correct.  WDE and Happy Holidays to all. 

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, AU North said:

JMHO.  I think Freeze really, really wanted this job. I believe he wanted this job a few years ago. If things go as he has envisioned them going, he will not be tempted by other offers down the road.

PS: Just poured myself a cold one in hopes that he succeeds and I am correct.  WDE and Happy Holidays to all. 

That's what scared me about Kiffin.....he wanted the attention and pay bump.  Freeze wants to be at a school like AU.  He was my first choice and I'm glad we got him!!  He's off to a great start on the recruiting trail and keeping/praising Carnell.  Get the players behind him and 2023 could be one of those magical seasons!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Only Voodoo will cure SEC credentials of 39-25, 10-25 after the NCAA thrashed him.

Btw, Rayban now has vantablack lenses for excess sunshine.

WDE !!!

Saban was 34-24 at Michigan State too, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AU North said:

I hope he succeeds too because he's Auburn's coach, but let's not kid ourselves. The only school remotely interested in this guy was Auburn. The only school remotely interested in this guy now remains Auburn.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Only Voodoo will cure SEC credentials of 39-25, 10-25 after the NCAA thrashed him.

Btw, Rayban now has vantablack lenses for excess sunshine.

WDE !!!

So you’re saying Hugh Freeze is a terrible coach, that would need black magic in order to succeed at Auburn? 😂

Gore-Tex got those new boo-hoo lined raincoats for excess storm clouds. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Warnugget said:

So you’re saying Hugh Freeze is a terrible coach, that would need black magic in order to succeed at Auburn? 😂

Gore-Tex got those new boo-hoo lined raincoats for excess storm clouds. 

I'm just citing facts, deal with it.  What qualifies HF as a good coach ?   Enthusiasm to finally have the AU job ?  It's certainly not his win/loss record or his behavior.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

56 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I hope he succeeds too because he's Auburn's coach, but let's not kid ourselves. The only school remotely interested in this guy was Auburn. The only school remotely interested in this guy now remains Auburn.

Not true. Saban wanted him years ago ad offensive coordinator. If he would have taken that job and succeeded he would have been one of the hottest commodities in college football. I don’t think we know if others wanted him or not. What he did at Liberty had to have put him on someone’s radar but we didn’t hear about it.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, toddc said:

Saban wanted him years ago ad offensive coordinator.

I can see OC, but not head coach. I have never heard his name associated with any head coaching search. I'm ready to see what he can do at Auburn, but let's not act like we hired Urban Meyer. Hugh has a lot to prove and I hope he proves all his naysayers - myself included - ultimately wrong. 

41 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

I'm just citing facts, deal with it.  What qualifies HF as a good coach ?   Enthusiasm to finally have the AU job ?  It's certainly not his win/loss record or his behavior.

He had a pretty good record for a perennial bottom-feeder in the SEC west. But you’re correct, he had one 5-7 season. What part of “just citing facts” does voodoo fall under?😂

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I can see OC, but not head coach. I have never heard his name associated with any head coaching search. I'm ready to see what he can do at Auburn, but let's not act like we hired Urban Meyer. Hugh has a lot to prove and I hope he proves all his naysayers - myself included - ultimately wrong. 

We’ve barely even known who our own school is looking at in these coaching searches. How can you expect to have a clue about the rest of the country?

• Like 2

Hugh Freeze was the best choice for our HC.

Kiffin is a terrible recruiter and a Twitter instigator.

Deion Sanders' CU press conference fiasco was proof he isn't ready for an SEC HC job.  And maybe not for a CU HC job.

We got the best HC available this cycle, and for most cycles.

I'm very thankful for Freeze over Kiffin and Prime.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Saban ended on a high note of 9-2 at MSU.  HF ?  5-7, and all 5 wins were expunged, 0-7.

That just means Freeze started out much better than Saban did, obviously if Freeze wound up better. I used that comparison as MSU at the time Saban was there, was roughly equivalent to Ole Miss is in SEC. They wound up roughly the same.

12 minutes ago, Warnugget said:

He had a pretty good record for a perennial bottom-feeder in the SEC west. But you’re correct, he had one 5-7 season. What part of “just citing facts” does voodoo fall under?😂

HF's win/loss record at UM, 2012-2016 was 39-25, before 29 of the 39 wins were expunged, making his true win/loss 10-25.

His win/loss record is not the type you want in a candidate that is going to build a successful program.  This doesn't even take into account the moral issues that helped end his job at UM.

The idea is to vastly improve on what we previously had, but we're going in circles and instead choosing mediocre coaches that take us to the same result.  We should have had coaches with a stellar record in our crosshair, but we haven't, instead  AU has settled for a lower quality hc.  Why is this ?  The issue can't be over $$$ because we've spent almost $35-40 million to make coaches go away.  And this excludes the money we paid for actually coaching.  What coaches couldn't AU have had with that kind of money ?

Instead of me continuing to show you that HF has been a mediocre coach and a poor fit for AU, which I have demonstrated, why don't you explain why he has been a good coach and a good fit for AU.  I'm willing to listen.

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

HF's win/loss record at UM, 2012-2016 was 39-25, before 29 of the 39 wins were expunged, making his true win/loss 10-25.

His win/loss record is not the type you want in a candidate that is going to build a successful program.  This doesn't even take into account the moral issues that helped end his job at UM.

The idea is to vastly improve on what we previously had, but we're going in circles and instead choosing mediocre coaches that take us to the same result.  We should have had coaches with a stellar record in our crosshair, but we haven't, instead  AU has settled for a lower quality hc.  Why is this ?  The issue can't be over $$$ because we've spent almost $35-40 million to make coaches go away.  And this excludes the money we paid for actually coaching.  What coaches couldn't AU have had with that kind of money ?

Instead of me continuing to show you that HF has been a mediocre coach and a poor fit for AU, which I have demonstrated, why don't you explain why he has been a good coach and a good fit for AU.  I'm willing to listen.

He has obviously well-coached teams, and has done well with less than he’ll hopefully have here at Auburn. He could end up being bad, but your “proof” in the form of expunged wins is laughable. His teams beat the teams that they played against. He coached good games. Me thinking that your cherry-picked data is ridiculous, doesn’t mean that I think Freeze is some type of football god. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Everyone realizes you have an unhealthy hate for Freeze .   you are like  a broken record.  No one gives a crap what you think.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Hugh Freeze was the best choice for our HC.

Maybe, among only those choices you listed though.  Urban Meyer has been available.  Why didn't we pursue him ?  His record is better than NS or DS.  One respected "inside" poster stated that Dabo Swinney had been in the mix.  Why didn't we aggressively pursue him ?  Instead, AU has settled for a coach with a mediocre record and a questionable past.  AU deserves better, much better, because it's a great program and we pay just as well as any other program in the country, including the UpDykes and Clempson.

But we have HF.  I'll support him as I have every other coach AU has hired, but I'm just tired of the mediocre candidates coming to AU and producing more mediocre results.  If you want to convince yourself that we're hiring a rising star as several have proclaimed, then I think you're fooling yourself.  A rising star doesn't bring a mediocre record to you with the hope of taking you to the top, a rising star is one who'd genuinely proved himself.  HF hasn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

For the last 3-4 years media has speculated when Freeze would be brought back in to big time coaching. Was just a matter of time. Just like DS, people are always willing to take a risk to win. Obviously AU believes he can win.

• Like 1