2024 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

28 minutes ago, toddc said:

After missing on Cam Coleman, maybe slow down predicting a flip from Bama 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

After missing on Cam Coleman, maybe slow down predicting a flip from Bama 

Sounds like we got outspent on Cam. The name of the game now is have nice facilities and pay players the most money. 

• Like 1

Not a big surprise 

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

It was speculated, but he wants his own day

Well, now I’m of course starting to feel like he’s going to Florida.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I do think that, without some form of control, recruiting is turning into what many of us predicted it would become, nothing but a case of the richest schools buying the top guys and the rest of us fighting over what's left.

I'd argue that it already has to a larger-than-most-would-like-to-admit extent. Unless(until?) the rules change to rein in the wild west that is NIL, we just need to support our collective as best as possible and hope that our boosters are all on the same page and play nicely. 

With that said, I think we can flip Coleman from aTm (assuming OTV can match or come close to matching the $). 

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Haven't heard much about him until recently.  I'd love to get on him and have him come for Big Cat.  He's a solid player.  Having him & Zeke Walker will put us in a really solid place for Zayden Walker in '25.  Kid is a beast.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 10:21 AM, AUDevil said:

When did Ben Wolk switch from covering Auburn to uga?  

@AUDevil Where have you seen him covering UGA? He left the recruiting business completely a few years ago.

On 7/4/2023 at 3:15 PM, AUwent said:

Sadly it sounds like he’s no longer announcing today. Corey Raymond get in his ear?

@AUwent Nope! You worry to damn much. Crawford moved his commit date back a few days to a week ago. The buzz On3 was hearing yesterday was for DJ Barber, who we landed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AUwent Nope! You worry to damn much. Crawford moved his commit date back a few days to a week ago. The buzz On3 was hearing yesterday was for DJ Barber, who we landed.

Can you blame me after last night? I was starting to really gain confidence.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Can you blame me after last night? I was starting to really gain confidence.

Last night was a shock no doubt but none of the twists amd turns in recruiting are worth reacting over til we get the final results in December in most cases.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, toddc said:

Not a big surprise 

Nope. AU supposedly likes other DBs better.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Last night was a shock no doubt but none of the twists amd turns in recruiting are worth reacting over til we get the final results in December in most cases.

Maybe not worth the reaction it got. But it is a big deal. Locking down a commitment from a guy like that would have put us on the map with recruiting and possibly got the ball rolling with some momentum. 

Not to mention it made Auburn look like some mark a**es.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Nobody can worry too much after the last decade of Auburn recruiting. Almost nothing has gone our way.

Pickens and Yeldon last second flips. Calloway and Kouandijo fiascos. Reuben Foster gets a f****** AU tattoo and flips. We reel in a #1 overall recruit in Byron Cowart - becomes biggest bust of a #1 likely EVER. Whiff on every single backyard star from Coleman, to the Montgomery duo from last year, to Justyn Ross.

There is absolutely no grounds for faith in Auburn recruiting right now. It’s up to HF and the NIL money guys to restore it. It’s actually irrationally blind faith to say otherwise. So I don’t think you should chastise anybody who isn’t drinking the Kool-Aid.

We suck at recruiting right now. Will we be good again one day? I think so. But it isn’t happening right now and I’m tired of being told it is when it isn’t.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Nobody can worry too much after the last decade of Auburn recruiting. Almost nothing has gone our way.

Pickens and Yeldon last second flips. Calloway and Kouandijo fiascos. Reuben Foster gets a f****** AU tattoo and flips. We reel in a #1 overall recruit in Byron Cowart - becomes biggest bust of a #1 likely EVER. Whiff on every single backyard star from Coleman, to the Montgomery duo from last year, to Justyn Ross.

There is absolutely no grounds for faith in Auburn recruiting right now. It’s up to HF and the NIL money guys to restore it. It’s actually irrationally blind faith to say otherwise. So I don’t think you should chastise anybody who isn’t drinking the Kool-Aid.

We suck at recruiting right now. Will we be good again one day? I think so. But it isn’t happening right now and I’m tired of being told it is when it isn’t.

My Grandmother used to say if you worry yourself to death over things you can't control, you'll get ulcers and whatever happens will happen regardless. If you don't worry yourself to death , whatever happens will happen anyway, but you won't suffer from ulcers.

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Agree on almost everything but it does seem like we would've gotten Foster if we held onto Trooper Taylor. Of course at the time coming off the 2012 season, many of us were completely willing to make that sacrifice.

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

My Grandmother used to say if you worry yourself to death over things you can't control, you'll get ulcers and whatever happens will happen regardless. If you don't worry yourself to death , whatever happens will happen anyway, but you won't suffer from ulcers.

I’m not worried because I don’t control it. I’m just not banking on any results. We need recruiting to be better. Ready for 5 stars and winning major recruiting battles to be the norm again.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I’m not worried because I don’t control it. I’m just not banking on any results. We need recruiting to be better. Ready for 5 stars and winning major recruiting battles to be the norm again.

5 stars will probably never be "the norm," but they don't necessarily have to be. When Freeze was hired I felt like top 20 finish in '23 would be satisfactory. We reached that. Currently, my expectation for '24 is as shown below. '25 needs to be top 10, and following that we don't necessarily need to finish top 10 every year but we do need to average that.

(For on the field expectations, my expectations for year 2-5 are roughly:

-All four seasons >=8 wins

-Two of the four seasons, an IB win

-Two of the four seasons >=9 win seasons

-One of the four seasons >=quarterfinal appearance

Some might say this is too low...I was considering bumping up the last two by a season but I felt that was too unfair.)

Last night did of course sap my confidence that we have the dough to reach that. Now, as we get further and further from the Malzahn and Harsin eras and therefore their buyouts, we should have more to put towards OTV.

Edited by AUwent

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Welcome!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUDevil Where have you seen him covering UGA? He left the recruiting business completely a few years ago.

Twitter profile says UGA 247 - he’s pretty active in his coverage.

5 hours ago, AUwent said:

5 stars will probably never be "the norm," but they don't necessarily have to be.

I have to completely disagree here. With the money poured into our program and that new building 5 stars absolutely must become the norm. We need to see more of them than we ever have. Especially with OU and Texas coming in.

We’ve committed to becoming a powerhouse again and 5 stars are necessities. Can’t do it without them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

There is absolutely no grounds for faith in Auburn recruiting right now.

@AUght2win yes there is. What Hugh EFin Freeze did at Ole Miss in recruiting. If a couple of full cycles go by with him, not replicating the recruiting results he had at Ole Miss then yes, Faith can be in question at that point. Also, there is a current aspect for faith in recruiting. We were a consensus, top-five team in the transfer portal and getting transfers is a major part of recruiting nowadays.

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

So I don’t think you should chastise anybody who isn’t drinking the Kool-Aid.

I’m not chastising anyone. I’m just saying watch the whole damn movie until it’s conclusion before making assessment instead of whining every five damn minutes throughout the movie. The movie of our recruiting cycle is not even half done yet.

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We suck at recruiting right now.

We won’t know that until December. Gotta let the faxes come in first.

• Thanks 1