2024 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

2 hours ago, toddc said:

CHF just needs to keep plugging away at recruiting.

That's wonderful to see. Keep plugging away is right. BCW could lead to some serious momentum. Finish the summer strong and keep it going by starting the season out strong. AU is absolutely going to turn some heads with this recruiting class.

On3 just released the new rankings and just about every commit we have dropped, some quite a bit. Many of the guys we are after dropped as well. 
Cain and Phillips improved which is good. 

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

On3 just released the new rankings and just about every commit we have dropped, some quite a bit. Many of the guys we are after dropped as well. 
Cain and Phillips improved which is good. 

Why'd they drop? 

Phillips improved which is good.

Dropped 13 spots.

On3 just released the new rankings and just about every commit we have dropped, some quite a bit

None of our commits had significant drops.

The only significant drop I saw was Bradley Shaw who's not commiyyed to us yet.

43 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Why'd they drop? 

@yngwie1995 In most cases guys just get passed because other guys got new evals. Most recruits aren't reevaluated with each new rankings release.

• Like 1

Where Auburn commits and signees rank in the updated On300

Cole Pinkston

(Photo courtesy: Bryce Cain)

On3 has now given a full update to its coveted On300 and it is littered with Auburn targets and commits. Three Auburn commits made the list this time as opposed to just one in the last update.

If you’re looking for an update on where each Auburn target landed in the latest ranking update, look no further. 

Every target the Tigers have a shot with is here and there are plenty. One Auburn commit saw a big rise in this update.

We have also provided a small note regarding Auburn on each. 

No. 6 – WR, Cam Coleman (Texas A&M commit) 

PREVIOUS: No. 6
NEW: No. 6

Coleman, a 6-foot-3 185 pound wide receiver from Phenix City (Ala.) Central, committed to the Aggies over Auburn and others on July 4. The Tigers will continue to recruit him as if he were uncommitted. 

No. 9 – S, KJ Bolden

PREVIOUS: No. 10
NEW: No. 9 (Up 1 spot)

Bolden, a 6-foot 180 pound safety from Buford (Ga.), visited Auburn twice during the spring and will return for Big Cat Weekend. He has rising interest in Auburn, but in-state Georgia and Ohio State will be tough to beat.

No. 17 – S, Jaylen Mbakwe (Alabama commit)

PREVIOUS: No. 17
NEW: No. 21 (Down 4 spots)

Mbakwe is firmly committed to Alabama, but the Tigers got an official visit with him and continue to recruit. Auburn has a commitment from his teammate DJ Barber.

No. 33 – LB, Demarcus Riddick (Georgia)

PREVIOUS: No. 36
NEW: No. 33 (Up 3 spots)

Riddick is the top linebacker and probably the top defensive recruit on the board for Auburn. He will make a final decision between Auburn, Alabama, and Georgia on July 26, his mom’s birthday.

No. 34 – DL, LJ McCray

PREVIOUS: No. 66
NEW: No. 34 (Up 32 spots)

McCray, a 6-foot-6 260 pound defensive lineman from Daytona Beach (Fla.) Mainland, was recently on campus at Auburn for an official visit. Several schools are high on McCray, but Auburn is battling.

No. 38 – OL, Casey Poe

PREVIOUS: No. 34
NEW: No. 38 (Down 4 spots)

Poe, a 6-foot-4 285 pound offensive lineman from Lindale (Tex.), is a top target for the interior offensive line. Auburn hosted him on an official visit, but so did many others. Alabama could be the team to beat. 

No. 48 – WR, Perry Thompson (Alabama commit)

PREVIOUS: No. 39 
NEW: No. 48 (Down 9 spots)

Thompson, a 6-foot-3 210 pound wide receiver from Foley (Ala.), is a key Auburn target at receiver and will be back on campus for Big Cat Weekend. It is a battle between the Tide and Tigers with a final decision possibly coming in the near future.

No. 83 – Edge, Joseph Phillips(Auburn)

PREVIOUS: No. 70
NEW: No. 83 (Down 13 spots)

Phillips, a 6-foot-1.5 250 pound edge from Tuskegee (Ala.) Booker T. Washington, committed to Auburn over Georgia and others in June.

No. 97 – DL, Jeremiah Beaman(Alabama)

PREVIOUS: No. 97
NEW: No. 98 (Down 1 spot)

Beaman, a 6-foot-3 250 pound defensive lineman from Birmingham (Ala.) Parker, has been a heavy visitor to Auburn during the spring. He has since committed to Alabama, but plans to officially visit Auburn for Iron Bowl weekend in November.

No. 122 – DB, Jaylen Heyward(Georgia)

Heyward, a 5-foot-10 175 pound safety from Rockledge (Fla.), will visit Auburn again for Big Cat Weekend. He remains committed to Georgia, but the Tigers are battling.

No. 136 – TE, Amir Jackson(Florida)

PREVIOUS: No. 122
NEW: No. 136 (Down 14 spots)

Jackson was at Auburn’s A-Day and had the Tigers in his top 4. He then committed to Florida. The Tigers will still recruit him. 

No. 183 – QB, Walker White (Auburn)

NO CHANGE

White is committed to Auburn and recruiting heavily for the Tigers.

No. 187 – WR, Bryce Cain(Auburn)

PREVIOUS: NR
NEW: NO. 187

Cain, a 5-foot-11 170 pound wide receiver from Mobile (Ala.) Baker, committed to the Tigers in June. He makes his debut in the On300 after a big jump in the rankings.

No. 224 – DL, Kamarion Franklin

PREVIOUS: No. 204
NEW: No. 224 (Down 20 spots)

Franklin, a 6-foot-5 260 pound defensive lineman from Lake Cormorant (Miss.) is one of the top overall defensive linemen on Auburn’s board. He will return to Auburn for an overnight trip at the end of July.

No. 237 – LB, Bradley Shaw

PREVIOUS: No. 177
NEW: No. 237 (Down 60 spots)

Shaw, a 6-foot 218 pound linebacker from Hoover (Ala.), seems to be between Auburn and Notre Dame. He will return to campus for Big Cat Weekend.

No. 284 – ATH, Malcolm Simmons

Simmons, a 6-foot 170 pound athlete from Alexander City (Ala.) Benjamin Russell, is a wide receiver target for the Tigers. He will be at Big Cat Weekend.

No. 295 – Saf., Zaquan Patterson

Patterson, a 6-foot 185 pound safety from Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade-Madonna, has the Tigers in his final group. He is expected to attend Big Cat Weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Dropped 13 spots.

None of our commits had significant drops.

The only significant drop I saw was Bradley Shaw who's not commiyyed to us yet.

E .. U hearing anything about us getting back in the picture with Jordan Ross?

Since we were his first big offer.

SoCal DB Elyjah Gordon talks new offers from Auburn and USC

Rancho Cucamonga (Calif.) defensive back Elyjah Gordon is an intriguing prospect who has opened up a lot of eyes this off-season. Gordon is a long, athletic safety with

Greg Biggins9 hrs

Rancho Cucamonga (Calif.) defensive back Elyjah Gordon is an intriguing prospect who has opened up a lot of eyes this off-season.

Gordon is a long, athletic safety with the kind of frame that we could see growing in to a linebacker. He was one of the stars of the SoCal National Preps Camp back in May and has some obvious physical tools.

He measured in at 6-3.5, 178 pounds with a 77” wing span and had the fastest time of the day on the GPS tracker at a blazing 21.7 mph. He worked out with the corners and safeties and although he looked raw at times in terms of his cover skills and technique, his size and speed more then made up for it.

He made plays throughout the camp and has continued to make plays at various camps this summer. His next stop was the TCU Satellite camp where he landed his first scholarship offer from Auburn. 

“Coach (Zach) Mallard asked me to jump in during the one one ones and I had a pick and a couple of PBU’s (pass break ups),” Gordon said. “He got my info and then I got a  call from him later on.

“He said he talked with the rest of the staff and they wanted to offer me a scholarship. That was an incredible feeling, not just being my first offer but from a big school like Auburn so I was very excited about it.”

A few weeks later, Gordon attended the USC Elite Camp and landed offer No. 2 from the home town Trojans. 

“That was a really good camp,” Gordon said. “That was one of those camps where I felt great, ran really well. I ran back to back 4.45 and 4.49 in the 40 and then made plays in the drills. 

“I didn’t allow any catches on me all day and then coach Donte (Williams) came up to me and kind of whispered, ‘we’re offering you a scholarship.’ We had a good conversation right there on the field and USC is definitely a great option for me.”

As for a timeframe for making his decision, Gordon said it could happen late summer before his senior year.

“I would like to commit before my senior year and lock it in if I can,” Gordon said. “It just depends on where my recruitment is at and what other schools are showing interest in me.

“If a few more schools jump in and offer and want me to visit, I’ll wait to commit. If not, then I can see myself making an early decision so I’m just going top play it by ear right now.”

Edited by toddc

Local 4-star wide receiver puts Auburn in top seven schools

JD McCarthy

A few days after four-star wide receiver Malcolm Simmons said that Auburn was one of his “top schools” he proved he’s a man of his word, putting Auburn in his top seven schools.

Simmons is from nearby Alexander City and will be deciding between Auburn, Arkansas, UCF, Coastal Carolina, West Virginia, Indiana and Liberty, he announced Thursday on Twitter.

Buy Tigers Tickets

He is one of the top athletes in the state of Alabama for the 2024 cycle and is a key Auburn target at the slot position where he uses speed and quickness allow him to get open as he continues to develop as a complete receiver.

The 6-foot, 165-pounder is coming off a great season for Benjamin Russell where he did it all on offense. He caught 31 passes for 513 yards and seven touchdowns and also rushed for 753 yards and 11 more touchdowns on 120 carries.

Simmons is the No. 334 overall player and No. 30 athlete in the 247Sports Composite ranking. He is also the No. 17 player from Alabama.

Auburn has already landed one wide receiver in three-star Bryce Cain but the Tigers are expected to try and sign three or four wide receivers from high school in the 2024 recruiting cycle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toddc said:

Local 4-star wide receiver puts Auburn in top seven schools

A few days after four-star wide receiver Malcolm Simmons said that Auburn was one of his “top schools” he proved he’s a man of his word, putting Auburn in his top seven schools.

Simmons is from nearby Alexander City and will be deciding between Auburn, Arkansas, UCF, Coastal Carolina, West Virginia, Indiana and Liberty, he announced Thursday on Twitter.

How could this not be a lock for AU compared to his other offers? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

What is it about this guy that makes him a 4* with such an unimpressive offer list. Does he play pull my finger competitively or something? This is weird.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

This is where going by "offers" and trying to gauge any prospect off of said "offers" gets wonky and kinda silly.

Can he commit right now?  I doubt it.  Did we offer him?  Sure, we gave him a piece of paper and he can't really do anything with it b/c we've got ones higher on our board.  Same goes with other guys that commit to any school and people start pointing at UGA or USC or UT or Bama offers they claim.  Yeah, they got that piece of paper from the school...but it doesn't mean much

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

You guys love to over think things holy crap lol.

We have to keep our football brains engaged.

Dont-judge-me GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

We have to keep our football brains engaged.

Dont-judge-me GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It’s true . I totally get that lol. That’s why I can’t wait for the season to start. 

3 hours ago, JerryAU said:

@JerryAU AU hasn't pushed & may not be a take yet.

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What is it about this guy that makes him a 4*

@AuCivilEng1 Likely his athleticism. Supposedly pretty athletic but not polished as a WR.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AuCivilEng1 Likely his athleticism. Supposedly pretty athletic but not polished as a WR.

Oh boy, PTSD from Gus days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So what do we know about this?  Has he even visited Auburn???

I know a top 8 means very little but I have not heard his name at all in regards to Auburn recruiting so found it curious. 

27 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

So what do we know about this?

@AEAugirl Just that AU been in contact, he's been responsive, & could visit.

29 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Has he even visited Auburn???

Nope.

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

What?! He could run the Onterio McCaleb speed sweep, brah!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Gus: You're fast! I like you. So here's the deal with my offense. You just sort of run around and try to get open.

WR recruit: Shouldn't there be routes or ... a plan or something?

Gus: Sure, the plan is you run as deep as you can or you just hang around the line of scrimmage.

WR recruit: My high school coach says there's more to it than that. 

Gus: Huh. Is he interested in a job on the offensive staff at Auburn University? Only one rule. I will not listen to anything he says. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Gus: You're fast! I like you. So here's the deal with my offense. You just sort of run around and try to get open.

WR recruit: Shouldn't there be routes or ... a plan or something?

Gus: Sure, the plan is you run as deep as you can or you just hang around the line of scrimmage.

WR recruit: My high school coach says there's more to it than that. 

Gus: Huh. Is he interested in a job on the offensive staff at Auburn University? Only one rule. I will not listen to anything he says. 

This hilarious bro. I shouldn’t be too harsh because I fell in love with athleticism too during this time, but I prefer to get guys more polished at this point. Been burnt way too much with one read type of athletes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So reading the tea leaves and listening to podcasts over the last week, here is what is seems is expected as of today. (This can all change instantly - see Cam Coleman)

- DB Crawford is committing this weekend and AU is the slight favorite over Florida and LSU 
- AU coaches feel good about LB Simmons. No time table for his commitment. Not sure if he will be at BCW. 
- AU feels good about LB Shaw. No time table on his commitment. 
- 3 team race for High 4 star OL D Carter. AU is one of the 3 and we are hoping to get him to BCW

- The 2 committed guys. WR Thompson and LB Riddock (sp) will possibly be at BCW. Rivals and a few others expect Rid to commit to AL before BCW so if this happens, he won’t be there. ON3 and 247 give us a much better chance but are still leaning slightly to AL. Basically it would be a surprise if he is in the class at this point. 
This just my opinion but WR Thompson is either trolling AU big time or will flip to us. Reading all the tea leaves on podcasts and all sites makes it seem like the coaches have gone all in on him and he likes AU a lot. If he makes it to BCW we could flip him (which would be the biggest recruiting win since saban has been at AL). 
- WR Simmons is going to BCW and with the sudden loss of Coleman, sounds like he is a take. 
Also sounds like the coaches/AU were really blindsided by Coleman and that ship has sailed. I think we will recruit him but not like we were. 

E / Bird/ anyone - did I miss anything or mess anything up? Haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CHF fighting for recruits and not backing down!

• Haha 2