2024 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I think it has more to do with On3 factoring NIL valuations into their rankings. For example, Texas is 37 on On3, 58 on 247, and 59 on Rivals in total team rankings. For On3 Texas is 19 in average player rating but #12 in average NIL ranking. However they factor that NIL evaluation gives them an extra boost on On3 team rankings. Same with us. We are #10 in player rating average & #11 in NIL average rating and that gives us our boost in On3.

Very odd approach, when the NIL valuations are a shot in the dark. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Florida is also the in state school for the 2nd best state to get high school talent. A lot easier to get kids their than most places if your assistants can recruit worth a damn.

Side note: Goergia has easily passed Cali at #3 in terms of high school talent by state.

Top 5 is probably not going to happen for us ever for those reasons but if we truly need a win total that we’re probably not going to reach to get recruiting going (i.e. top 15 finish this year) then our program effectively rests on the Midget hanging it up (see ya in 2034 for that!).

Now, I feel a *lot* better about where we stand and our ability to get it done after JP.

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 1

Interestingly, in each of the last three classes, the very highest rated players have committed late in the process. 👀

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Interestingly, in each of the last three classes, the very highest rated players have committed late in the process. 👀

Assume you're talking about our classes, not overall

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Assume you're talking about our classes, not overall

Yep.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Staff looks like they are having fun right along with the recruits.

Auburn in top 6 for in-state DB Red Morgan

Cole Pinkston

(Photo: Jeffrey Lee, Auburn Live)

Auburn has made the cut for Red Morgan, a 3-star safety from Phenix City (Ala.) Central. Morgan was scheduled to take an official visit to Auburn but was unable to do so for reasons unknown. Auburn is still considered to be a major contender. 

Morgan is the No. 481 overall player in the country, the No. 44 safety in the country, and the No. 26 player in the state of Alabama according to the On3 Industry Ranking.

He named a top six of Alabama, Auburn, Cincinnati, Florida State, Miami, and Mississippi State. 

Morgan seems to be turning into a priority target for the Tigers and safeties coach Wesley McGriff. 

He felt as though there would be a push for his commitment during his official visit, and he absolutely encourages that.

“Oh yeah, probably, I already know it,” Morgan said. “I feel like that’s what every school should do, I’m really looking forward to it.”

Two strengths

Morgan is quick, reactionary, and has good long-speed as well. He can burst to a ball-carrier or a spot on the field lightning quick. Many of his highlight show him chasing down the ball-carrier.

Physicality is not going to be an issue for Morgan. He’s a heat-seeking missile as a tackler. He is suited to play safety for his reactiveness, but can play on the boundary and walk up in the box to make things happen as well. 

One area for improvement

One of the reasons he is chasing down ball-carriers at times (not always) is because he can get lost with his eyes at times. That, of course, is correctable and not a consistent habit. When he combines his eyes with his other skills, he can be a quick contributor on the SEC level.

• Thanks 2

On 6/16/2023 at 4:40 PM, CameronCrazy said:

What happened with 4* S Ricardo Jones? At one time, I thought Auburn led. Now he’s only down to 2 options - FSU & Clemson. Did we have other guys higher on the board or what? 

@CameronCrazy From JLee FWIW...

He visited back in the spring, but that’s about the extent of his recruitment from the new staff.

We are still looking for a 2nd TE in the class & we offered this 3* cat from Kansas a couple days ago...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guessing the answer is no but is there anywhere I can find/anyone who knows where we were ranked at this point the last three years? I *remember* us being as low as 80 in all three with average being consistently around 18, but I could be wrong.

This is where our class currently stands, as of 6/24, on 247 and On3 compared to where we finished the last two years. In parentheses are SEC rankings, with the new guys:

image.png

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, AUwent said:

is there anywhere I can find/anyone who knows where we were ranked at this point the last three years?

@AUwent No because previous years' records are only shown as what team rankings are when each year's recruiting class is over. Records aren't kept for a random day in late June. Also you are missing some important info in your graphic. To get a full picture of how well recruiting was beginning in 2023 and going forward, transfer team rankings needs to be added in such graphics. For On3 we were 5th in 2023 and 3rd on 247.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AUwent No because previous years' records are only shown as what team rankings are when each year's recruiting class is over. Records aren't kept for a random day in late June. Also you are missing some important info in your graphic. To get a full picture of how well recruiting was beginning in 2023 and going forward, transfer team rankings needs to be added in such graphics. For On3 we were 5th in 2023 and 3rd on 247.

Hm. Well, that's one advantage 247 has on On3--it shows the two combined. It would be nice if the rankings showed that but alas. We *were* around 80th at this point the last two years, if my memory serves me correctly?

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

We *were* around 80th at this point the last two years, if my memory serves me correctly?

I don't remember us being that low either year. The worst I remember was in the 60s. Regardless, I don't know why we continually look back on such depressing things. I'd rather close the book on the past & move forward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't remember us being that low either year. The worst I remember was in the 60s. Regardless, I don't know why we continually look back on such depressing things. I'd rather close the book on the past & move forward.

We're 39th on 247 currently, so I'm trying to gauge how ahead we are of the last three classes--which this class does need to be. In terms of average, we certainly appear to be, though I obviously there's no way of remembering where we were in that regard at this point the last three years.

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We're 39th on 247 currently, so I'm trying to gauge how ahead we are of the last three classes--which this class does need to be.

@AUwent It's a marathon, not a sprint. Where we are in ranking points today as related to previous years on this dates means nothing because all that matters is we finish higher in the end. Commits don't happen in a linear fashion. They come in ebs and flows.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

If Freeze hadn't come in and salvaged the 2023 class, it might have ended up in the 40s or 50s. It's really tough to project our final class ranking based on pre-Freeze years.

We are also playing catch-up on recruiting this year, so our ranking at this point is relatively weak. We seem to be in a good position to close out strong. We may get a bunch of 3 star commitments in the next few weeks, with the top-tier players we're in the running for having later commitment dates.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, phillyeagle said:

We may get a bunch of 3 star commitments in the next few weeks,

Should get a few 4*s too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Auburn's 2024 recruiting class among the highest average rating per commit

Daniel Locke

Photo By Austin Perryman

Recruiting is the lifeline of any collegiate athletic program. Auburn football recruiting was in a bad spot when Hugh Freeze took over the program in December of last year.

The program’s new frontman, however, has not sat on his hands and has been determined to turn things around. The Tigers are starting to see the fruits of Freeze’s labor as Auburn currently has the seventh-highest average rating per recruit according to On3 with an average rating of 89.99 across its eight commits, six of whom are four-star prospects.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Auburn’s 2024 class is currently ranked 17th in the country and eighth in the SEC by On3with a score of 88.890. The class is led by Joseph Phillips and Walker White.

Phillips is a linebacker from Tuskegee, Alabama. He is a four-star recruit with a 92.57 rating and is the No. 133 player nationally, the No. 12 linebacker and the No. 9 player in the state of Alabama.

White, a quarterback from Little Rock, Arkansas, is a four-star recruit with a 92.55 rating. He is the No. 135 player nationally, the No. 11 quarterback and the No. 2 player in the state of Arkansas.

As Freeze’s efforts are far from over, Auburn’s 2024 class is bound to keep rising in the rankings.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1