2024 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

Yet we're quickly approaching falling out of the top 20 while everyone ahead of us (besides bama) has 10+ commits.  10 of 18 teams ahead of us have 15 or more.

People once again falling into a tiny class size while teams a head of us are gobbling up all the top kids.  

We seem to be stalling a bit after some great momentum to start out the offseason (and coming off a solid portal).  We need to get some momentum back.  People are falling into the exact same talking points of last year.  Literally the exact same "Average Class Rating" was all the buzz 12 months ago.  Can anyone learn?  Or shall we just repeat ourselves?  Seems like the later is what ppl want

Just to do the math....there were a handful of 3* kids like House we expected to commit.  You get 3 kids like him and Avg Rating drops to nearly 20th overall at 89.10.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

I think we can be honest. We're struggling with some guys we thought we had a better shot with. Losing guys to Stanford and GT is not ideal. Losing a Texas kid to Bama sucks, but that was a long shot to start.

Wish Cam Coleman would hop on board and help some push.

Wish Hugh had more time to play a season, December Signing day has radically moved recruiting earlier.

Hopefully we can show enough, keep guys warm enough, and convince them to flip in December. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think we can be honest. We're struggling with some guys we thought we had a better shot with. Losing guys to Stanford and GT is not ideal. Losing a Texas kid to Bama sucks, but that was a long shot to start.

Wish Hugh had more time to play a season, December Signing day has radically moved recruiting earlier.

Hopefully we can show enough, keep guys warm enough, and convince them to flip in December. 

Unfortunately we may have to hope for that which is very unnerving 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DAG said:

Unfortunately we may have to hope for that which is very unnerving 

Danny Hugh has said from the get go that he would have to hit the portal hard in 23 and 24. For the reason the OP listed w Dec signing day, it moves things up

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 2

Obviously, we have to clean up relationships that were either neglected or completely abandoned and that takes time. It’s easy to state that we should be doing better in recruiting but Auburn football over the past few years has been a soap opera, and that’s aPG version statement. I will be shocked if we end up with a top 15 class for 24’. The product on the field will determine our future classes but I don’t know how much of an impact that will have for this one unless we win 10 games or we suck. I personally see us winning 6-7.

For what CHF inherited I think he has done a hell of a good job so far and it will get better, IMO

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

For what CHF inherited I think he has done a hell of a good job so far and it will get better, IMO

Yes he has

34 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

will be shocked if we end up with a top 15 class for 24’.

Also, we should get to this by the end of the year. In fact, I almost believe we definitely have to at least be in the top 15 unless we go crazy in the portal again. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The level of recruiting we need to be on requires winning.  If the OL is substantially better, we will be back to competing on the field and, in recruiting, sooner than most think possible.

We have a coach who understands this level of football.  Gus went mad.  Harsin had no clue.  We have the chance to restore the program now.

Look forward to a fun season.

Edited by icanthearyou

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yet we're quickly approaching falling out of the top 20 while everyone ahead of us (besides bama) has 10+ commits.  10 of 18 teams ahead of us have 15 or more.

People once again falling into a tiny class size while teams a head of us are gobbling up all the top kids.  

We seem to be stalling a bit after some great momentum to start out the offseason (and coming off a solid portal).  We need to get some momentum back.  People are falling into the exact same talking points of last year.  Literally the exact same "Average Class Rating" was all the buzz 12 months ago.  Can anyone learn?  Or shall we just repeat ourselves?  Seems like the later is what ppl want

Just to do the math....there were a handful of 3* kids like House we expected to commit.  You get 3 kids like him and Avg Rating drops to nearly 20th overall at 89.10.

need mo 💰 🤑 💸

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

speaking of Cam Coleman, did you see the latest prediction on him on ON3 today? hopefully, where there is 🌫️🚬 there is fire 🔥

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Also, we should get to this by the end of the year. In fact, I almost believe we definitely have to at least be in the top 15 unless we go crazy in the portal again. 

Definitely, no reason for this class not to be a step above the last three years.

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

The level of recruiting we need to be on requires winning.  If the OL is substantially better, we will be back to competing on the field and, in recruiting, sooner than most think possible.

We have a coach who understands this level of football.  Gus went mad.  Harsin had no clue.  We have the chance to restore the program now.

Look forward to a fun season.

Objectively though, we are being picked to have a 6, 7 win season--that's not me talking, that's literally what Vegas says. So can you understand why I think it's not exactly viable to be depending on a big first season to get recruiting started?

• Like 3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Definitely, no reason for this class not to be a step above the last three years.

Objectively though, we are being picked to have a 6, 7 win season--that's not me talking, that's literally what Vegas says. So can you understand why I think it's not exactly viable to be depending on a big first season to get recruiting started?

I agree with AUwent on this. Billy Napier and Florida finished 6-7 last season but he has been on fire in recruiting for the 2024 class. I haven't looked at rankings lately but Florida was in 2nd, right behind Georgia for the 2024 class. On field results help but Napier is proving that top 5 classes can be had even with a below average 1st season on the field. WDE

• Like 4

With it being the end of June I hope we can have a public update in a few days.

Edited by AUwent

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It is starting to sound a little too familiar. 

We all know Freeze will recruit better than Harsin. Recruiting might be Freeze's greatest strength. 

But there are reasons for concern. We need a guy or two in the top 100. This team desperately needs playmakers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I agree with AUwent on this. Billy Napier and Florida finished 6-7 last season but he has been on fire in recruiting for the 2024 class. I haven't looked at rankings lately but Florida was in 2nd, right behind Georgia for the 2024 class. On field results help but Napier is proving that top 5 classes can be had even with a below average 1st season on the field. WDE

@TeamZero77 As I told @AUwent a few days ago, AU can't be fully compared to Florida in this situation. While we are undoubted in good recruiting territory, it doesn't compare to Florida being THE in state school for 1 of the 2 best states in the country to get high school talent. We will get ours but it's gonna take more time that it would at Florida.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

@TeamZero77 As I told @AUwent a few days ago, AU can't be fully compared to Florida in this situation. While we are undoubted in good recruiting territory, it doesn't compare to Florida being THE in state school for 1 of the 2 best states in the country to get high school talent. We will get ours but it's gonna take more time that it would at Florida.

I don’t believe that makes my above statements any less valid. Otherwise, we’re effectively caught in a loop of not having the talent to get the wins…needed to get talent, at least until the Midget hangs it up (and again, I don’t think we can count on that happening until the ‘30s).

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

AU can't be fully compared to Florida in this situation. While we are undoubted in good recruiting territory, it doesn't compare to Florida being THE in state school

This would make logical sense but it doesn't hold true at the moment.

9 of their top 10 commits are from out of state. Top 3 are from Texas and Atlanta. 

2 of 17 commits are from Florida. At the moment it's just a good excuse 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Florida and Napier are in their second year. Check the jumps Beamer at USC and Norvell at FSU made in years 2 and continue in year 3. Freeze is still in year 1 (6 months) and had to spend almost all of the past few months on the portal. We committed the cardinal sin of falling behind on the SEC. It’s unforgiving. We should never allow it to happen again. Hugh’s best recruiting tool for the rest of this year is an exciting team that wins some big games. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cbo said:

It is starting to sound a little too familiar. 

We all know Freeze will recruit better than Harsin. Recruiting might be Freeze's greatest strength. 

But there are reasons for concern. We need a guy or two in the top 100. This team desperately needs playmakers. 

By no means does anyone need to hit the panic button. But we can be honest with our current state. We are in a bug lull and seems like a good bit of our momentum has slowed. A few misses exacerbated that.

We've got Cam Coleman on deck, hopefully that'll pan out like everyone says. Rest of the top 100 is pretty bleak. Most being committed already. There might me 1-2 we actually have a shot with and they'd be flips.. Reddick, RB from T Town, and Perry.

We'll see how big cat goes and the predictions of getting a few more in early July. We need 15 kids by start of season 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Florida and Napier are in their second year. Check the jumps Beamer at USC and Norvell at FSU made in years 2 and continue in year 3. Freeze is still in year 1 (6 months) and had to spend almost all of the past few months on the portal. We committed the cardinal sin of falling behind on the SEC. It’s unforgiving. We should never allow it to happen again. Hugh’s best recruiting tool for the rest of this year is an exciting team that wins some big games. 

I can only hope going 6-7 and having to fire our coordinators bc they were so horrendous with a 1st round QB talent will lead us to such fruitful recruiting grounds

• Haha 1

State of Alabama is absolutely stacked again in 2025.

We have to be competitive and show promise. We can't let a class similar to 2009 and 2022 pass us by

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

By no means does anyone need to hit the panic button.

I think this is critical for everyone to bear in mind.  I won't belabor and rehash the points why but I do think that is a very important sentence you stated. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think this is critical for everyone to bear in mind.  I won't belabor and rehash the points why but I do think that is a very important sentence you stated. 

Yeah, we can discuss our struggles but not freakout 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

I don’t believe that makes my above statements any less valid. Otherwise, we’re effectively caught in a loop of not having the talent to get the wins…needed to get talent, at least until the Midget hangs it up (and again, I don’t think we can count on that happening until the ‘30s).

Lol. Again. I was talking about your post the other day, not the one you posted above.

ETA: WED disproved my theory so nevermind.

• Thanks 1