Men vs Alabama Game Thread

Maverick.AU

Actually, it was not the beat down I expected. But still the final result I expected. Can Auburn get some sort or magical spark in the SEC Championship?

• Like 2

The best thing about this game is that Quinerly has now completed ten years at bammer. That qualifies for the state retirement system so now he can move on to whatever is next in his life.

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

I’m glad Bruce finally blew up about the refs….been needed for sure.   We certainly got hosed on some biased calls in 2nd half; but despite the refs, we should have won and ONCE AGAIN can’t close a game.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phillyeagle said:

Wow, Bruce was HOT in the post-game radio interview. I've never heard him complain about the refs before, but he called them out 2 or 3 times just then. Since it's not my money, I love to see him come out and protect his players like that.

He slammed down his headset which made their student section erupt as their players cut down the nets.  

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

I’m glad Bruce finally blew up about the refs….been needed for sure.   We certainly got hosed on some biased calls in 2nd half; but despite the refs, we should have won and ONCE AGAIN can’t close a game.  

Weird season fam! Don’t know what to really make of it. We have seen a lot better AU teams go in to Coleman and get absolutely drilled by muchhhhhhhhh worse bama teams than this one like the 17/18 and 19/20 AU teams.

Edited by GwillMac6

52 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Vandy makes absolutely no sense. Loses to the worst team in the sec on the road… beats the hottest team in the sec on the road. Wtf!? 🤷‍♂️

It’s March, anything can happen.  

God, I love Bruce Pearl! Tell it like it is, Coach! I swear the refs were on the headset so long so that the SEC office could tell them to foul out Broome to give Bama the advantage.  🙄

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, keesler said:

It’s March, anything can happen.  

go look at the stats, Birmingham was trying to give it to kentucky, stackhouse just out coach them and Birmingham

Pardon my French earlier, skybar and inebriated isn’t a great place to comment on sporting games

Really a majestic performance from KD, wonderful back half by Flanigan when it was needed, grit and grind by Broome, Jaylin and Moore. 

To be candid, this isn’t a roster that should’ve had a shot in hell at competing with Thugaloosa. They had size at our guards and had bodies where we were best. Pearl exposed their forwards in screen defense, Tre and KD made the right decision 80% of the time and that gave us a shot. Quinerly was a game breaker. We had a plan for everything except him. Years past, dude was a gnat to us when he was a focal point. As the 4th most worrisome part of the team, he’s indefensible. 

If you could get literally anything out of Zep offensively, I think we have him out there to slow that down. But finally and maybe too late or just in time depending on your POV, Brucie weighed Tre’s potential dynamicism offensively (and rather meh defense, at best) over Zep. I think it was and should’ve been the card he’s played. 

I think we realistically need a fourth big if we’re going to make a run, even when we’re playing as well as today. Just too small margin of error.

I would adorn this with the best performance of all season. You were just decent officiating/one more man/a couple more FTs/an actual end of game play away from winning it against a top 4 team  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, phillyeagle said:

Wow, Bruce was HOT in the post-game radio interview. I've never heard him complain about the refs before, but he called them out 2 or 3 times just then. Since it's not my money, I love to see him come out and protect his players like that.

more than Bruce need to do that, somebody at Auburn needs to go to Birmingham you can't just keep lying down and taking it up the back side.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, phillyeagle said:

I don’t even think it’s the missed layups or something like that illicited the reaction. Those dirty extracurriculars that only Alabama can do (in every sport), those will put your boys in real trouble. 

• Like 3

That foul on Our center Broome when he got thrown to the ground was complete crap. 💯. It's either a no call or a foul on them. Their guard comes out of nowhere snatches the ball and his arm and rips it out by throwing him to the ground and then throws it off of him and somehow our guy fouled. WTf..

Here's a link..

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35764391

Seriously. Changed the momentum. Heck a game. But we could have won that.

Edited by Randman5000
More ammo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This game was eerily similar to 1978 when Auburn was up on the thugs by 17-18 in T-Town and lost the game.

Below seems to sum up this season.

3A0C8ED2-14B9-463F-BD7D-AFB767632611.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The refs were abysmal, but this team has some key deficits that are glaringly obvious. We’re playing one legit big vs. 2-4 on teams like Bama and UT. Our guards are way undersized and none with the quicks of a guy like Quinerly who beat us to the hole all night. Throw in no consistent 3 point shooters and you get what we’ve got. We really needed Westry to be healthy and Traore to be at least a solid contributor.  I will credit this team for playing super hard, but not always smart. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

The best thing about this game is that Quinerly has now completed ten years at bammer. That qualifies for the state retirement system so now he can move on to whatever is next in his life.

That may be the most hilarious thing I have seen you say on here.  That was gold.  Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The refs were abysmal, but this team has some key deficits that are glaringly obvious. We’re playing one legit big vs. 2-4 on teams like Bama and UT. Our guards are way undersized and none with the quicks of a guy like Quinerly who beat us to the hole all night. Throw in no consistent 3 point shooters and you get what we’ve got. We really needed Westry to be healthy and Traore to be at least a solid contributor.  I will credit this team for playing super hard, but not always smart. 

The announcer on telecast actually had that scouted at the end. He said stopping Q should be our biggest priority, with Miller open three next.  He said this BEFORE Q started dicing us up going the same way every time.  He would beat us on the first step and use that leverage to score.  

Well I am done giving basketball the priority for this season.  If another Auburn sport on, I am watching that.  Especially our 16-1 softball team with Penta shutting everyone down in the circle and Auburn leading the SEC in offense.  7 straight shutouts btw and just beat a good Troy team 11-0 at their place (with free admission) that only lost at #6 FSU 2-1.  Anyways, back to basketball convo lol

I watched this game. No allegiance. Read this board all the time.

Get ready to flame away.

You blew a 17-point second-half lead at your biggest rival's place in a game you probably shouldn't have been winning.

At some point, stop complaining about "the refs" and "Birmingham."

You do the same thing in football.

Don't you EVER get tired of whining?

Seriously?

At some point, isn't it on your athletes and coaches to get the job done?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Dislike 3

8 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

Get ready to flame away.

You blew a 17-point second-half lead at your biggest rival's place in a game you probably shouldn't have been winning.

At some point, stop complaining about "the refs" and "Birmingham."

My God, you people.

You do the same thing in football.

Don't you EVER get tired of whining?

Seriously?

No flaming at all. It was a case of both blowing the lead and some poor officiating. When both of our big men have 4 fouls each and theirs have 1 or 2 then yeah, something's rotten in Denmark but the bottom line is that we can't close a game. A 17 point lead should never be surrendered by a 16-0 run. This team is frustrating. 

Edited by gr82be
Spelling
  • Like 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

No flaming at all. It was a case of both blowing the lead and some poor officiating. When both of our big men have 4 fouls each and theirs have 1 or 2 them yeah, something's rotten in Denmark but the bottom line is that we can't close a game. A 17 point lead should never be surrendered by a 16-0 run. This team is frustrating. 

I definitely understand the frustration. It was a physical, tight game.

32 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

Get ready to flame away.

Don't you have your own board to whine on? Go away. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is mindblowing. It really feels like we've gotten really unlucky with some games, especially how close these games were but this is just glaring. +48 in fouls and -57 in free throws in just these 6 games? While I agree that we shouldn't blow double-digit leads, you can't help but feel shafted especially how some foul calls can shift momentum.

I'm hoping (and honestly assuming) that this loss helps our resume a ton. Just need to win Tennessee game and we're a lock for the tournament, IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1