Men vs Alabama Game Thread

Maverick.AU

If this study is true, then -16 in FTA would make sense. Auburn's experiencing more than triple of that amount. Even 3x of the calls would equal 48 free throws. Auburn's getting rocked 3.5x of the normal rate. Coincidence? May be, but this is something we won't likely see again considering how aggressive we can be in the paint sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

I have not read this thread but I can guess what all is being said. There were some bad calls but that's part of the game. We do not need to play the victim card. We simply lost the game. We had a 17-point lead halfway through the 2nd half. The opportunity to win the game was there and we didn't. Really need to pick it up and win at home against a UT team that is missing their starting PG. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, thewhiz7 said:

I have not read this thread but I can guess what all is being said. There were some bad calls but that's part of the game. We do not need to play the victim card. We simply lost the game. We had a 17-point lead halfway through the 2nd half. The opportunity to win the game was there and we didn't. Really need to pick it up and win at home against a UT team that is missing their starting PG. 

Go to the top of the page and read Ferguson's post and the reply that AU Dynasty posted. See if that changes your mind about the officiating. I don't disagree that we still had a chance to win the game in spite of it , but to refuse to see it is being willfully blind. Just my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

If this study is true, then -16 in FTA would make sense. Auburn's experiencing more than triple of that amount. Even 3x of the calls would equal 48 free throws. Auburn's getting rocked 3.5x of the normal rate. Coincidence? May be, but this is something we won't likely see again considering how aggressive we can be in the paint sometimes.

The disparity in number of free throws is just part of the story. Think about the lost playing time and production from guys sitting on the bench in foul trouble. Think about the effect on the rotation and how to manage personnel groupings. Think about how it affects the way the guys play. It’s hard to contest drives when you know you will get called for a foul and you’re already in foul trouble. The play where Jaylin fouled out, he was barely contesting and was three feet away from a guy who was falling away from him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Mitchie said:

I watched this game. No allegiance. Read this board all the time.

Get ready to flame away.

You blew a 17-point second-half lead at your biggest rival's place in a game you probably shouldn't have been winning.

At some point, stop complaining about "the refs" and "Birmingham."

My God, you people.

You do the same thing in football.

Don't you EVER get tired of whining?

Seriously?

At some point, isn't it on your athletes and coaches to get the job done?

fire gas GIF

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, bigbird said:

As well as loss of momentum. 

To some on here none of that makes a real difference 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

For me both can be true m. Auburn averages around 11 turnovers per game last night was 18 and shot 62% from the free throw line. With a 17 point lead any change in that and Auburn wins the game.

• Like 1

Auburn blowing the game and the refs calling in bamas favor are both true IMO. I mean look at the stats and that shows you AU gets called for way more fouls than is typical of other teams. But with that said AU absolutely played like hot trash for the majority of the second half and deserved to lose that game. This team is broken and goes dumb at some point in every game. That isn't the refs fault. Maybe with a closer called game AU gets by even with playing terrible for 8 solid minutes i dunno. 

Fouling Broome out on that play under the basket was also hot garbage. Just for the record. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

If we admit that how the refs called the game played a factor into the loss (a majority of people have done this), will you admit that our collapse as a team also played a factor in the loss? Or was it all just bad luck and refs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I may be off on the time, but I think it was around the 11:13 minutes remaining and the score was 66 -49.   Auburn scores 7 points for the remainder of regulation (KD 2 FT’s, Greene 3 pointer, Flan layup 2) that’s it!   And everyone thinks it was the refs fault?   The Broome call was terrible and I agree with that one.   The game shouldn’t have gone into overtime and Auburn shouldn’t lost the game.   Without turning the ball over, you can almost use every second of the shot clock and not make a basket and still do better than what they did last night.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 1:21 AM, Randman5000 said:

That foul on Our center Broome when he got thrown to the ground was complete crap. 💯. It's either a no call or a foul on them. Their guard comes out of nowhere snatches the ball and his arm and rips it out by throwing him to the ground and then throws it off of him and somehow our guy fouled. WTf..

Here's a link..

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35764391

Seriously. Changed the momentum. Heck a game. But we could have won that.

That was the biggest bull**** call I have EVER seen in basketball. What makes it worse is the refs took 10 minutes to review the play. They clearly saw that punk bammer pull Broome to the floor by the arm, throw the ball at him, hit him with it and then taunt him. No foul on the bammer but it's a foul on Broome ? It was an absolute disgrace. It almost makes you wish JD had gotten into it with him when JD stepped in between and the bammer punk pushed JD's hands away.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

I'm still trying to figure out how Broome fouled out...truly perplexing.  We win if he makes it thru the 2nd half.  No overtime would have been needed.

Broome was in position for the rebound grabbed it and player who was sealed behind him went through his arm to also grab the ball at worse it should have been no call but probably should have been a call on bama player for going through arm to grab the ball. Now some wanted a technical for throwing the ball off of Broome there was nothing wrong with that as he had ball and was going out of bounds and hit Auburn player out of bounds. They replayed it multiple times and there was no way to call a foul on Broome. The takedown on Cardwell was an obvious foul that was not called as there were multiple fouls not called on bama. If bama player went in paint and any contact was a foul but if Auburn player went into paint and any contact it was not a foul. Some of that is on Green and KD as they fall every time they go into paint trying to get a foul and the Ref's know that.

We still should have won that game but some of it is on us. Our guards taking our two best scorers Broome and Jaylin out of the game by not feeding them and also dribbling for a whole possession then going inside against the trees. Finally missing to many free throws. 

I would like to give Kudos to Chris Moore who worked his butt off on the boards after all of our bigs were taken from us by some great (Sarcasm) refereeing.   

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PotPot said:

The disparity in number of free throws is just part of the story. Think about the lost playing time and production from guys sitting on the bench in foul trouble. Think about the effect on the rotation and how to manage personnel groupings. Think about how it affects the way the guys play. It’s hard to contest drives when you know you will get called for a foul and you’re already in foul trouble. The play where Jaylin fouled out, he was barely contesting and was three feet away from a guy who was falling away from him.

There are basketball fans and then there are guys who know basketball.

Your analysis is spot on. When your big men are getting hit with more fouls, they have to lay back while the other team's players are allowed to push the envelope a little more. Its not always a glaring issue, its the subtle things that can change a game quickly.

Miller with only two fouls for most of the game was ridiculous. He was like a bull in a china shop and got a pass on many occasions.

On a neutral floor, I like our chances. 

Hopefully we get that chance.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CCTAU said:

Tre will learn to be a little more aggressive. He should have finished that last drive.

I like what I see from him. Every game he gets better and more comfortable.

if there's any positive takeaway from this game (and some other ones, but this was his most positive one in a while), Tre is going to be a gamer in the future. I think he still needs to work on many things defensively, but he has a really good feel for dribbling to create looks for others. Think he's still a really raw scorer but you can see flashes 

Even with the presumably more naturally gifted 4 star and up guards we got coming in, I need that man to be a part of the rotation in some capacity. He has the makings of a Mark Sears for us: multi-year, smart, creator for others 

• Like 4

After our performance last Saturday, I feared another embarrassment last night. So, I have some pride for our guys for playing their guts out in a hostile environment against a really good team after a dispiriting performance Saturday. Look, there are lots of things about this team that make me crazy. Giving up an 18-2 run to lose a 17 point lead, some of the poor shots we take, some of the shots Jaylin doesn't take, so many missed FTs last night, the self-inflicted turnovers we make, Wendell missing the shot with about 4 seconds to go that could have won it... This team makes me crazy! And yet... losing 6 road games by a combined 21 points when we've shot 57 fewer FTs than our opponents & had 48 more fouls called on us means that even with our deficiencies we've been right there for 4-5 more wins (& significant wins). And, as other posters have said, it's not just the points at the FT line. It's not having Broome on the floor for the last 7 minutes of the game while others are having to play less aggressively because of foul trouble. It's finishing an OT game with Wendell, KD, Lior, Tre, & Chris Moore (4 guards, no bigs, a single starter) on the floor & still only losing by 4. I am NOT a "blame the refs" kind of fan. My dad was a bb coach & he wouldn't stand for that. I wish he was still here to comment on these stats because it seems to me that something is just wrong. If 95% of the time it's not the refs, that still leaves that other 5%.

Edited by TigerTennis80
  • Like 3