Vaughn Named To Groza Award Watch List

DKW 86

From ITAT

Vaughn Named To Groza Award Watch List

By Staff Reports Inside The Auburn Tigers

Date: Aug 12, 2005

John Vaughn was named to the Lou Groza Award watch list on Firday. 

Auburn, Ala.--Auburn junior place-kicker John Vaughn has been named to the preseason watch list for the Lou Groza Award. The Tigers' place-kicker was listed as one of the 30 candidates on the watch list on Friday by the Palm Beach County Sports Commission.

In its 14th year, the Lou Groza Award, named for NFL Hall of Fame kicker Lou Groza, is given annually to the top collegiate place-kicker in the country. A panel of over 300 experts comprised of Division I head coaches, sports writers, sportscasters, conference representatives, professionals kickers and all previous Groza Award finalists will vote on the award, to be presented Dec. 6 at the Palm Beach Gardens Marriott.

As a sophomore, Vaughn connected on 12-of-15 field goals including a two-for-two mark on kicks of over 40 yards. Vaughn scored 87 points for the Tigers last season, which was an Auburn single-season record by a kicker. The Brentwood, Tenn., native was named a preseason first team All-SEC pick by both the league coaches and representatives of the media.

He was also First team Preseason All-SEC.

Guys, close games are won by D and Kicking Game. I dont have a clue how the O will be this year. But the D should be very good and with a very good kicking game, we should have enough tools to go a long way.

From yesterday's scrimmage:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg...7750.xml&coll=3

The special teams weren't overlooked in Saturday's scrimmage, and kicker John Vaughn continued an incredible preseason. He nailed all three of his attempts, from 51, 42, and 39 yards out.

"John Vaughn was on," Tuberville said. "He continues to get better."

I thought Kody Bliss was one of the best punters in the country last year, and there was an article from practice last week that said he's even better now. I'm not sure who's going to end up returning kicks for us, but when we're doing the kicking, we should be second to none.

Archived