Friday Scrimmage Tidbits

aubiefifty

On 3/29/2023 at 1:18 PM, cole256 said:

Yes we had the one guy that was hurt in summer and he was apparently playing the best out of all of them. On top of that our linebackers were small and once again we didn't have the size up front to keep blockers off of them. Then pappoe was hurt I believe. I think smoke had time when he was hurt so that meant another captain gone and somebody with hardly no experience playing. 

On top of all of that it was our first year in the defense. It wasn't close to being perfect by any means. But in my opinion with all that we discussed, first year implementing the defense, finding out Harsin is interfering and being so inconsistent on the offense, etc. I think the defense actually over performed. 

I remember right when bammer got good, their defense was in place but it still sucked and it seemed like as soon as they got that big ass nose tackle, I think his name was Cody or something like that, but as soon as they got him their defense transformed. Nose tackle is the most important piece of a 3-4. We were without. 

Good post and all valid points. I don't discount any of that. There were still some times I would have like to seen some different things, but as you mentioned, all that has to be taken into account. So by large, I was mostly happy. 

Yes When Bama got Terrence Cody there Defense really took a turn. When playing a 3-4, or really any kind of 2 gap scheme, it is critical to have a big space eater on the DL that can take on and handle double teams. A good NT in a 3-4 is probably the most important piece as far as everything working. 

You are also correct in our LBS being undersized for what we were trying to do. Pair that with undersized DL and it is a nightmare recipe for exactly what we saw. 

On 3/28/2023 at 7:10 AM, aubiefifty said:

does it creep anyone else out these practice videos have no audio? i need that chatter i guess along with an occasional period horn.

Yes, but it is a great way to cut out all the cussing, if there is any.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

There is.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

i remember being shocked when baby bowden was our coach. i assume he was squeaky clean and i went down to the practices where you were right there with the players. i am talking five feet or less. and wayne hall was gd this and gd that. he called a true freshman homosexual because he said he was trying to **** the player he lined up against. i think i learned a new cuss word or three from wayne and i am an ex sailor................

• Love 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i remember being shocked when baby bowden was our coach. i assume he was squeaky clean and i went down to the practices where you were right there with the players. i am talking five feet or less. and wayne hall was gd this and gd that. he called a true freshman homosexual because he said he was trying to **** the player he lined up against. i think i learned a new cuss word or three from wayne and i am an ex sailor................

I think kids still have nightmares over the things that Wayne Hall said to them.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

I think kids still have nightmares over the things that Wayne Hall said to them.

he remains to this day the most bow legged man i ever saw..............

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, alabastertiger said:

He did have flair. The offensive guys were happy to stay on offense because of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CCTAU said:

He did have flair. The offensive guys were happy to stay on offense because of it.

I've been told he was quite the wordsmith 

On 3/31/2023 at 5:13 PM, bigbird said:

I've been told he was quite the wordsmith 

Yes, but his defenses were as nasty as his mouth :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Yes, but his defenses were as nasty as his mouth :)

For real!  

Philip Lolley was another 

i think some coaches like to approach spring ball and especially with freshmen where they tear you down and build you back up.

Back in the day when a person, early in fall practice, could just walk up and watch practice from the sidelines I heard Auburn O-line coach Gene Lorendo yell at one of his players: "The best part of you ran down your mother's leg."

This stuff has been going on for a long time.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Back in the day when a person, early in fall practice, could just walk up and watch practice from the sidelines I heard Auburn O-line coach Gene Lorendo yell at one of his players: "The best part of you ran down your mother's leg."

This stuff has been going on for a long time.

Coach Lorendo had a unique vocabulary. I grew up on military bases and he could make my ears burn. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas

We had three practices last week usually by this time on Monday we start hearing who looked good , who improved, etc.  Any word on the QB's last week? The week before we heard the light seemed to have come on for HG any word if he showed continued progress. IS RA  still having shoulder soreness and is Finley still looking solid? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We had three practices last week usually by this time on Monday we start hearing who looked good , who improved, etc.  Any word on the QB's last week? The week before we heard the light seemed to have come on for HG any word if he showed continued progress. IS RA  still having shoulder soreness and is Finley still looking solid? 

Yes. You are welcome.

• Thanks 1