2023 Spring Transfer Portal Exits

cbo

“Project” players like M’ba with very little experience seldom pan out.  Too big of a learning curve to make it at the highest level.  I hope we’re able to progress having to take players like this going forward. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1auburn1 said:

“Project” players like M’ba with very little experience seldom pan out.  Too big of a learning curve to make it at the highest level.  I hope we’re able to progress having to take players like this going forward. 

Makes sense, but i was hopeful about him. Maybe he goes to a smaller school and gets plugged right in. Seems he was at least the backup and was going to get playing time. The crappy new world of college football. 

2 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

Seems like that is the biggest issue.  Absurdly raw and just not ready.  He might have a huge ceiling, but his floor is so low and far away.

Yeah, in this new age of CFB, there's no need for AU to go after guys like him out of high school.    Let them go to smaller schools and try to recruit them later if they develop and enter the portal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUINSY said:

I'm personally not sure. I thought M'ba had some good potential, but his 2022 stats were 7 tackles, 1 sack, and 1 forced fumble. I don't think anyone's thrilled about losing M'ba, but it doesn't seem like we're losing too much defensive production. I wish him well in his next move.

my only issue the entire number of snaps he did play, allowing someone ahead of him to rest a bit.  touche i guess

When we recruited him and Sledge, I felt like Sledge had more potential between the two. Caught a lot of flack over that. I guess we'll see on Sledge at least. 

3 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

When we recruited him and Sledge, I felt like Sledge had more potential between the two. Caught a lot of flack over that. I guess we'll see on Sledge at least. 

Think Sledge will be right behind him. Im thinking they saw their place on the depth chart and realized even more better players will be coming in. Freeze is in win now mode and doubtful he sees much upside to playing “maybe” guys. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pedaler said:

Raw in terms of technique and game experience, but he moved around like a Derrick Brown.

1EE3EE89-7A61-4C21-95DD-463D55EE422C.gif

But could he do this?

(Once of my favorite plays of all time.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wasn’t he the #1 Juco prospect when he signed with Auburn?

15 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Wasn’t he the #1 Juco prospect when he signed with Auburn?

Yes for linemen I know for sure.

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

Was this expected? I can’t keep up.

Wasn't on a list of names I had heard but given how much most of our WRs have struggled I guess it's not a surprise.

• Like 1

Seems like we'll put the inbound players on the recruiting forum, so this can be a catcall for outgoing guys.

We have 87 on the roster right now with incoming guys, I think?  ( @ellitoror @Zeekcan correct me or get it exact).  I've seen various mods thing we'll take anywhere from 5-8 this spring.  That means 7-10 kids have to leave or get processed.

2023 Outgoing Portal Transfers
Jeffery M'ba
TarVarish Dawson
Cameron Brown (LB) (announced in March)
Desmond Tisdol (announced in March)

Rumors

Sledge has been rumored a little bit
Cam Riley has been rumored
Seems like we have a lot of just "guys" at OL that are gonna quickly get passed by incoming players.
QB or two on the list of rumors, probably heavily dependent on who we bring in

Edited by W.E.D
  • Thanks 1

Auburn WR Tar'Varish Dawson enters transfer portal

By CHRISTIAN CLEMENTE 45 minutes ago

Auburn has its second departure to the transfer portal this week, with former 4-star athlete Tar'Varish Dawson re-entering the transfer portal. Dawson originally entered the portal during the 2022 season, but ended up re-joining the team after Bryan Harsin was fired and taking his name out of the transfer portal.

During Dawson's freshman season he redshirted, eventually playing at the end of the season and taking his first snaps in the Birmingham Bowl. In 2022, he caught two passes for 30 yards early in the year. Dawson began the season as Auburn's starting slot receiver, though that only lasted for a week before he was supplanted by redshirt junior Ja'Varrius Johnson. After Dawson did not appear in Auburn's Week 4 win over Missouri, he was removed from the depth chart altogether before returning as the co-backup at slot receiver with true freshman Jay Fair.

In spring practice, Dawson was getting reps behind both Johnson and Fair again.

Top StoriesREAD MOREMemphis commit Mikey Williams' attorney releasesstatement on arrest

Dawson was the sixth-highest rated recruit in Auburn's transition class from Gus Malzahn to Harsin, ranked by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as the No. 351 overall player and No. 22 athlete, projecting as either a defensive back or receiver.

Defensive lineman Jeffrey M'ba announced his intention to enter the transfer portal earlier this week, along with linebackers Desmond Tisdol and Kameron Brown, who entered the portal earlier in March.

The post-spring transfer portal window is open from April 15-30. That's just when undergraduates are required to enter the portal, they are not required to make a commitment and sign with a program then.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Wasn't on a list of names I had heard but given how much most of our WRs have struggled I guess it's not a surprise.

Seemed to always run 2nd string behind JJ and they are about the same players.  He already tried to transfer once last year.

9 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Cameron Brown (LB) and Desmond Tisdol have said they would enter

I saw something last week that Cam Brown was going to UT Chatanooga or something.  I thought he was maybe a winter transfer

So they both announced in March they were transferring.  I'd assume they aren't included in the current roster count of like ~87.  So could push to 10 transfers if we include them