2023 Softball vs South Carolina

#17 Auburn (35-14, 11-7)  plays a 3-game series vs South Carolina (32-15, 7-11)  April 28-30

Game 1:   Friday, April 28 @ 5:00 pm CDT will stream on SEC+

Game 2:  Saturday, April 29 @ 1:00 pm  CDT will stream on SEC+

Game 3:  Sunday, April 30 @ noon CDT will stream on SEC+

Edited by Golden Eagle
Added team records

Game 1 commentary:

The top of the second inning is what drives me CRAZY about Auburn batting.  Bryant gets a base hit.  Blaine walks.  With no outs and 2 on base, Tresvik gets a full count and watches the 3rd strike cross the plate.  With one out, Packer gets 3 balls followed by 3 strikes - the first two over the middle of the plate - and NEVER swings the bat.  Then McCondiche lined out.  Was Packer told not to swing at those first two pitches over the middle of the plate?  Why did both Tresvik and Packer stand there and watch strike three without trying to hit it or at least foul it off???  After the freshman pitcher's first pitch to McCondichie, SC replaced her with a more experienced pitcher who has made quick work of Auburn batters.  Maddening.

Edited by Golden Eagle
  • Like 1

Top of the 4th,  Skylar Elkins (running for Ellis) scores from 3rd on a base hit by Packer.  Tresvik tries to score from second and is thrown out easily.  Auburn does this too often.

Game 1 Summary - Auburn 1 - South Carolina 0

Auburn was lucky to have won this one.  They will have their work cut out for them tomorrow without Maddie in the circle. 

Penta threw 139 pitches, struck out 10 and walked 3.  She didn't give up any runs on 4 hits.

South Carolina used 4 pitchers (Heard 1.2 innings/36 pitches,  Ochs 2.1 innings/30 pitches,  Betenbaugh 2 innings/25 pitches, Gobourne 1 inning/8 pitches).  Combined, South Carolina threw 99 pitches, struck out 6 and walked 1.  They gave up 1 run (earned) on 7 hits.

Gobourne was a beast in the circle - got Auburn's last 3 batters out on 8 pitches.  I hope we don't face her tomorrow!

Edited by Golden Eagle

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Baseball score.

Shouldn't that be a baseball thread?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Shouldn't that be a baseball thread?

Yes, hence the confusion.

• Thanks 1

Gobourne will pitch tomorrow. South Carolina had a good game plan to make Penta throw. It didn't help that Maddie had no wiggle room. She really had to pitch carefully to preserve the 1-run lead. 

I'll take it. WDE!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, all4AU said:

Gobourne will pitch tomorrow. South Carolina had a good game plan to make Penta throw. It didn't help that Maddie had no wiggle room. She really had to pitch carefully to preserve the 1-run lead. 

I'll take it. WDE!

Agree that likely Gobourne today.  I doubt we would have seen her last night if it had not been a 1 run game going into 7th inning.  Looking at her season stats, she has been prone to give up BB but if we are not able to get our bats going it won't make a differencee.   Last night, the SC pitching staff individually pitched to 6,9,9 &3 Auburn batters.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Agree that likely Gobourne today.  I doubt we would have seen her last night if it had not been a 1 run game going into 7th inning.  Looking at her season stats, she has been prone to give up BB but if we are not able to get our bats going it won't make a differencee.   Last night, the SC pitching staff individually pitched to 6,9,9 &3 Auburn batters.  

Kept them once through the order.  Strategy by SC coach.  We allowed it with not putting up some runs.  Maybe scouting is we get better after seeing a pitcher 2nd time around.  Or they were somewhat conceding they'd lose game 1 and made it a bullpen game, but then the game was still close in 7th.

• Like 1

When last night's softball game was over, I switched to the baseball game (an amazing win for AU - way to go, guys!).  At the end, the commentators said there was discussion about moving Sunday's baseball game to Saturday (i.e., a double header today) because of rain threat on Sunday.  Just checked Auburn softball twitter and no mention of a double header today.  After throwing 139 pitches last night, I hope Maddie isn't asked to do it again today.  Auburn really needs at least 3 (and preferably 4) good pitchers (IMO).  If Maddie can't pitch for some reason, we're hosed.

Forgot to give credit to Ellis for hustle to dive and catch the attempted pop up bunt and the very good grab in CF by Packer in bottom of 6th inning.  There was runner on 1st with 2 outs so she was in motion with the contact and had likely chance to score if got over Packer's head.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Forgot to give credit to Ellis for hustle to dive and catch the attempted pop up bunt and the very good grab in CF by Packer in bottom of 6th inning.  There was runner on 1st with 2 outs so she was in motion with the contact and had likely chance to score if got over Packer's head.

Packer catch was huge!!

• Like 1

Yep.  Gobourne cleaning our clocks and SC has 4-0 lead in 5th

• Sad 1

I was  not able to watch today's game.  Just got home and see that the score was pretty ugly.  Disappointing but not surprising, I guess.  Have to acknowledge/accept that we're just not an elite offensive team.  Our post-season run will likely be very short once again, darn it.

Edited by Golden Eagle
  • Like 1

With Shelby not pitching any today, makes me think either she is not able or CMD wants to use her tomorrow in combination with Penta  in hopes of taking the series. Regardless, we need some offensive help.  Today just ended up being an "experience day" for Widra and Rolfe.  We allowed players who are not known for hitting the long ball do exactly that.   Gobourne is a very good pitcher but very disappointed we could not get a single hit today. Pretty much my only AU highlight today was Lisenby throwing out the runner attempting to steal 2nd.

• Like 1

AU wins series vs South Carlina via run rule by score 10 - 0.  Gamecocks had 3 errors which is not typical for them.  They used 5 pitchers.  For AU, McCrary , who did not start, had 2 hits  as did Tresvik which included a HR.  Penta 77 total pitches with 9 SO and 2 BB.  

• Like 1

Maddie Penta is my hero.  To do this after the 139 pitch 1-0 game is incredible. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Maddie Penta is my hero.  To do this after the 139 pitch 1-0 game is incredible. 

She is almost literally carrying the team.  We would be completely lost without her MVP-level season this year.

• Like 2