Default if no spending cuts?

If Dems don’t accept spending cuts would you support default on the debt?  

1. 1. If Dems don’t accept spending cuts would you support default on the debt?

• Yes
    • No

If you support Republican efforts to not increase the debt ceiling without spending cuts would a default be preferable to raising the debt ceiling without the cuts?

I know I'm cutting back on spending to balance my own budget so I don't understand why a/any political party would not do the same. Both parties have had major issues developing the ability to curb spending and balance a budget. I've written my representative and have indicated this is one of my major concerns. Everyone should do the same.

Can't just keep raising the ceiling. I don't support default so they need to come to some compromise like they have in the past. If they are going to raise it, they need to find some cuts somewhere in there. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 5:47 PM, creed said:

I know I'm cutting back on spending to balance my own budget so I don't understand why a/any political party would not do the same. Both parties have had major issues developing the ability to curb spending and balance a budget. I've written my representative and have indicated this is one of my major concerns. Everyone should do the same.

Agreed.  But that's a different process than passing a debt limit increase resolution which involves money we've already spent.

Republicans passed such increases three times under Trump without playing this political game,  not to mention Trump increased the debt by 39%.

If Republicans feel we must to address the debt, then they should start with Biden's proposed budget and go from there.  And don't take tax increases off the table.

If I were sure the Republicans would take full blame for it, I would support default.  As much as it would cost me personally (a lot) it would be better for the country long term.  The Republican party cannot govern.  It needs to die and be replaced by a reasonable opposition party than can.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The Republican party cannot govern.  It needs to die and be replaced by a reasonable opposition party than can.

Democratic Party cannot govern.   It needs to die and be replaced by a reasonable opposition party that can.  

On 5/4/2023 at 4:58 PM, wdefromtx said:

Can't just keep raising the ceiling. I don't support default so they need to come to some compromise like they have in the past. If they are going to raise it, they need to find some cuts somewhere in there. 

Do you support raising revenue? If so, how?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1