2023 North Texas 4* Transfer WR Jyaire Shorter COMMITS TO AU!

ellitor

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I did see we offered the guy from Jackson state 

He would be a really good get

8 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

If he has not committed by now, it is either a transfer problem or we passed on him IMO. 

@gr82b4au not necessarily. You may be reading too much into things not happening publicly. But you could also be right. either way I say just relax and see how things play out.

• Like 1

Well one thing this staff has done is teach patience to the fanbase lol.  With basketball doing the same thing, maybe it's Cohen behind it all.  That's it.  That's the game at play here.  Because the whole world knows how impatient we are for success 😆 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

If he has not committed by now, it is either a transfer problem or we passed on him IMO. 

Our offering the JSU kid Hooks makes me wonder if either Shorter or Craig have dropped out of consideration.  However, the Hooks kid looks comparable to them and has the size Hugh covets on the outside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dilligas said:

Our offering the JSU kid Hooks makes me wonder if either Shorter or Craig have dropped out of consideration.  However, the Hooks kid looks comparable to them and has the size Hugh covets on the outside.

Agree. 
we are not taking 3 wr

On 5/13/2023 at 9:39 AM, dilligas said:

Size wize he has, but he appears to be more of a possession type receivers than a deep threat in Shorter.

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Agree. 
we are not taking 3 wr

We’ve got two in Mardner and Burton. Still want two more which would make the total 4 from the portal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

We’ve got two in Mardner and Burton. Still want two more which would make the total 4 from the portal.

I pretty sure he meant 3 additional WRs

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I pretty sure he meant 3 additional WRs

Still not sure if he was counting Burton or not.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Still not sure if he was counting Burton or not.

Yep I meant we are not taking 3 more WR now (at this point). 

• Like 2

• Zeek changed the title to 2023 North Texas WR Jyaire Shorter COMMITS TO AUBURN!

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1

Auburn lands commitment from North Texas WR transfer Jyaire Shorter

The former North Texas deep threat has committed to Auburn.

CHRISTIAN CLEMENTE9 mins4

Shortly after visiting Auburn, former North Texas wide receiver Jyaire Shorter has joined Auburn's class.

The graduate transfer caught 23 passes for 628 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2022, averaging over 27 yards per reception as one of college football's best deep threats. Shorter was an honorable mention for All-Conference USA and was a Comeback Player of the Year semifinalist after only playing in two games in 2021.

"Just be that vocal leader for the guys since I have more experience," Shorter said of his role "Coming in and helping the younger guys, I want everybody to win and I want everybody to eat so I feel like that’d be good if I came there and be a leader and help the guys."

Initially in the Class of 2018, Shorter committed as a 3-star prospect at 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds as a tight end. Over his time with the Mean Green, Shorter evolved into a wide receiver and totaled 58 receptions for 1,320 yards and 20 touchdowns.

Besides 2022, Shorter's second-most productive season came in 2019 when he caught 24 passes for 473 yards and nine touchdowns and was named an honorable mention for All-Conference USA.

Ultimately, Shorter's visit to Auburn helped seal the deal.

"Just seeing the campus, I like the campus," Shorter said. "Being around the coaches, it was just them being genuine and straight up. And then talking to Coach (Hugh) Freeze, he was a good guy and said, ‘We need receivers and guys like you.’ I just like the place a lot, environment, everything."

Shorter is the second transfer wide receiver to commit to Auburn in the second transfer portal window, joining former Ohio State receiver Caleb Burton. Overall, Shorter is commit No. 5 of the second portal window, with former App State edge rusher Jalen McLeod, former Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne, former Tulsa offensive lineman Jaden Muskrat and Burton in the class.

Auburn Undercover will continue to update this story.

Not the most polished route runner, but can take the top off and tracks it very well. He has fantastic ball skills.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I guess we can expect a Sammie Coates type player due to concerns about his route running. We’ll take it.(hopefully better hands)

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not the most polished route runner, but can take the top off and tracks it very well. He has fantastic ball skills.

More Texas boys 

• Love 1

Just now, Zeek said:

More Texas boys 

I'm not complaining. Come on, Casey Poe!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/12/2023 at 6:30 PM, toddc said:

tied for seventh in FBS with 11 touchdowns … led FBS in yards per reception (27.2) …

Without having to look it up, does anybody know the last time that Auburn had a wide receiver with 11 touchdowns in a season? 

12 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Without having to look it up, does anybody know the last time that Auburn had a wide receiver with 11 touchdowns in a season? 

'05 maybe? 99?

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not complaining. Come on, Casey Poe!

Nixon too! 

• Like 1