2023 Softball - Clemson Regional Tournament

20 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

Welp, Florida just run-ruled by Stanford 8 -0 in 5 innings.  Oregon beat #11 seed and regional host Arkansas 10-4.  So we're not the only SEC team having issues.  Alabama, of course, was gifted the easiest regional (with no power 5 opponents) so they'll advance to the supers.

They were getting tested by MTSU. I guess they pulled it out? 

2 hours ago, AUMom02 said:

I’m a parent of a former player (from a few years ago). I have watched just about all of the games this year and read comments and analysis from this forum often. This is my first post. 

To be completely honest, I find this team extremely difficult to watch and root for. Not running out ground balls (does it make you faster if you carry the bat with you to first base? lol), casually catching fly balls at your shoulders, jogging to get a ball that you just missed, saying “WTF” on national TV after giving up a home run, no or very little life and energy in the dugout - all witnessed during this game (against Clemson). I have seen this all season long. This team, with all of their talent and potential, just does not seem to be truly playing for each other and does not seem to be having FUN! In fact, my daughter mentioned that after the game. She said “other teams have fun when they play, Auburn does not”.  In my opinion, less than 100% effort and poor attitudes have been allowed and therefore have continued. There is a fine line between confidence vs. cockiness, disappointment vs. sulking, and deserving vs. entitled and unfortunately, many players seem to be on the wrong side. And there is no obvious leadership on the team to pull everyone together. 

I am reluctant to post this as I do not want this to be seen as bad mouthing the team. In fact, I used to HATE it when fans used to criticize the team when my daughter played. But I think the tone is being set at the top and these negative behaviors exist because they are allowed to exist. It’s just extremely frustrating to watch.

Hopefully they can regroup and pull out a win later today. 

Did your daughter play for Dean and/or Clint.  We agree with what you are saying, at least I do.  A lot of us got hooked in during the Myers years.  Those WS runs were so much fun.  Too bad we faced a generational softball pitcher in Paige Parker, yet we still almost got em. I miss that offense though. You are right that leadership has really been lacking. 

9 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

They were getting tested by MTSU. I guess they pulled it out? 

Alabama beat Middle Tennessee 12-5.  Fouts did not pitch.  They have good pitchers behind her.  And, of course, are trying to save her for supers & wcws since they probably don't need her in their powder puff regional.

• Like 1

Just now, Golden Eagle said:

Alabama beat Middle Tennessee 12-5.  Fouts did not pitch.  They have good pitchers behind her.  And, of course, are trying to save her for supers & wcws since they probably don't need her in their powder puff regional.

Mtsu was leading 2-0 then 5-4 last I had seen

Texas stadium looks weird lol

I'm watching the 7 innings live on espn app since ours is rain delay. 

no or very little life and energy in the dugout - all witnessed during this game (against Clemson). I have seen this all season long. This team, with all of their talent and potential, just does not seem to be truly playing for each other and does not seem to be having FUN! In fact, my daughter mentioned that after the game. She said “other teams have fun when they play, Auburn does not”.  In my opinion, less than 100% effort 

I've been noticing alot of these things this year. In comparison to other teams, our girls just look lifeless in the dugout and have no energy. I've always wondered if that was due to lack of leadership up top or team chemistry. Thanks for the insight and please post more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Eagle said:

Appreciate you speaking up.  I became a big fan of AU softball during the Myers era (so sad that ended in the mess it did) and have mostly been a frustrated fan since.  I have made many of the same comments you're making now over this past year.  Hard not to be frustrated when we all want AU softball to succeed but continue to see the same issues year after year.  Sounds like you think the team has the talent to be better - the issue is coaching?  I've been critical of coaching but really don't know if the talent is there as well...

Not sure if I’m doing this right, lol. Hopefully I’m replying to your comment. 

My daughter actually played for both Myers and Dean. And I too was so sad that (Myers’ reign) ended in the mess that it did - more than sad actually. Thinking about it now brings back so many emotions.  

But to answer your question, yes I think the team has the talent. Dean recruits top level players. But Dean has a bunch of players who seem to think they are the best ones on the team and they all deserve to start day one. Just not sure Dean has the right coaching style to pull a team like that together. Myers, on the other hand, recruited athletes (I still remember him telling my husband and I that). He tells them all that they have to earn their spots and gets 100% buy in from the team on the process and the ultimate goal of going to the WCWS. Everyone always seemed to know and understand what their role was. Whether it was leading the cheers in the dugout, pinch running or just being ready when your name was called. 

Again, not here to bash the team or even Dean for that matter. After holding my tongue for years, the frustration just got the best of me, I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Did your daughter play for Dean and/or Clint.  We agree with what you are saying, at least I do.  A lot of us got hooked in during the Myers years.  Those WS runs were so much fun.  Too bad we faced a generational softball pitcher in Paige Parker, yet we still almost got em. I miss that offense though. You are right that leadership has really been lacking. 

She played for both Myers and Dean. 

• Thanks 1

These girls are battling.   We can debate this coach vs. this coach.   This former mom vs this former mom.   The fact is we got hossed and we are trying to make the best of it. 

19 minutes ago, TD1 said:

I've been noticing alot of these things this year. In comparison to other teams, our girls just look lifeless in the dugout and have no energy. I've always wondered if that was due to lack of leadership up top or team chemistry. Thanks for the insight and please post more. 

Trying not to say too much or be too negative but it’s just so frustrating to watch. I watch a lot of other teams as well and the energy level in the dugout when you compare our team to others is night and day. 

Shelby went the distance.  Excellent outing for her.  Needed it!

• Like 2

I think Shelby looked like the old Shelby for the first time in 2 years.  Her pitches were crisp with some zip and she had them guessing until she hit the rough spot in the 6th.  She still got out of it without giving up a run.  Again, that reminded me of the old Shelby.  Hopefully, this will spring her into next season and she'll be able to again be a significant factor on this team.  We need her.

• Love 1

UCLA is out? Wow. So IF Auburn had gotten the 15th seed and won the regional, then they would have been hosting the super regional as well?

• Like 1

Yep

UCLA is out? Wow. So IF Auburn had gotten the 15th seed and won the regional, then they would have been hosting the super regional as well?

Auburn softball splits Saturday’s action, advances to Championship Sunday

Taylor Jones
~4 minutes

9e17040e0687bedf791a217f7f10f748

After earning a convincing 12-2 win over Cal State Fullerton on Friday in the Clemson Regional opener, the Auburn Tigers took part in a challenging second day that saw them go 1-1 on the day.

The day began with an anticipated game with regional host, Clemson. The game was tight through the first four innings, but a five-run 5th inning would allow Clemson to pull away from Auburn and earn the 7-0 win.

In the nightcap, Shelby Lowe’s stellar outing in the circle lifted the Tigers to a 5-0 win over Cal State Fullerton in an elimination game. Auburn led 1-0 prior to a two-hour rain delay and was able to extend the lead to 5-0 in the middle innings to eliminate the Titans.

Here’s a recap of how Saturday’s action unfolded:

Game One: Clemson 7 Auburn 0

a9d8d28c495181b966ef0ccbf1de25d5

Grayson Belanger/Auburn Tigers

The pitching battle between Auburn’s Maddie Penta and Clemson’s Valerie Cagle got off to an expected start, with both pitchers tossing a shutout through two innings. Clemson scored first on a solo home run by McKenzie Clark in the 3rd inning to take the 1-0 lead. Clemson then broke the game open in the 5th inning by sending home five runs. The host Tigers would add an insurance run in the 6th to secure the 7-0 win.

Cagle tossed a one-hit shut out for Clemson, with the lone hit coming from Lindsey Garcia in the 2nd inning. Penta allowed six hits and five runs in 4.2 innings of work. Annabelle Widra finished the game by going 1.1 innings in relief.

Game two- Auburn 5 Cal State Fullerton 0

cf6943b9924c509f7b40c8a307d2c851

After a lengthy rain delay, Auburn finally prevailed over Cal State Fullerton for the second straight day by earning a 5-0 win, elimination the Titans from the Clemson Regional.

The game featured a solid pitching battle between Fullerton’s Myka Sutherlin and Auburn’s Shelby Lowe, who combined to strike out seven batters through 3.2 innings before the delay. The difference to that point was a bases loaded walk to Garcia that scored Denver Bryant in the 1st inning to give the Tigers the 1-0 lead.

After the two-hour delay, Auburn scored four runs over the 4th and 5th innings to seal the victory. Rose Roach scored two in the 4th inning on a single to right field to score Makayla Packer and Abbey Smith to extend Auburn’s lead to 3-0. Smith would also be involved in Auburn’s final two runs of the game. In the 5th inning, Denver Bryant scored on a throwing error that was instigated by a Smith bunt. Later in the inning, Smith advanced to third base while Icess Tresvik scored on a wild pitch.

Shelby Lowe went the distance in the shutout by striking out seven batters and issuing three walks.

Championship game broadcast information

dc5398e1e421f9e7b2e08c5b62258e04

Auburn gets another shot at Clemson on Sunday for a chance to advance to the Super Regional round. In order to advance, Auburn must beat Clemson twice. Sunday’s action gets underway at 11 am CT at McWhorter Stadium in Clemson.

Brit Bowen will have the call of the game on the Auburn Sports Network. You can also watch the game by clicking here.

What's happening in Norman?

e6d9633688f5b079b790ce419058fa92

The Oklahoman

If Auburn knocks off Clemson twice on Sunday, chances are their next stop will be Norman, Oklahoma to face the No. 1 overall seed, Oklahoma. Saturday was business as usual for the Sooners, as they defeated Missouri, 11-0, to advance to Championship Sunday. They will face Cal/Missouri Sunday for a chance to host the Super Regionals next weekend.

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

GAME 6:  #1 Clemson vs #2 Auburn on ESPN2

Cagle vs Penta in a win or go home game.  Let's GO AUBURN!

After 1st inning:  Auburn 3 - Clemson 0

3-Run Bri Bomb!  Cagle didn't start off well but will likely settle down.  Auburn taking advantage.

Having some run support should take a ton of pressure off of Penta.

After 2nd inning:  Auburn 3 - Clemson 0

Penta and Cagle both settled in.  Auburn (Peralta) did get a base hit, bringing total AU hits to 4, but couln't bring her home.

After 3rd inning:  Auburn 3 - Clemson 0

Auburn committed back-to-back errors that put 2 Clemson batters on base.  Penta got out of the jam unscathed.

Auburn got a runner on, again, but couldn't bring her home.

After 4th inning:  Auburn 4 - Clemson 1

Penta gave up a solo HR.  Clemson brought in Spencer to replace Cagle at pitcher.

Lisenby with a single/Elkins in to run for her, Packer with a sac bunt to move her to 2nd, Peralta with a double

to bring her home.  Well done!

After 5th inning:  Auburn 4 - Clemson 2

Once again, Penta had a bit of a meltdown in the 5th.  Seemed to have lost her confidence and walked several batters,

resulting in a run for Clemson.  She finally settled down and struck out the last batter but she threw a ton of pitches.

Clemson brought in yet another pitcher (Thompson) to start the     bottom of the inning.  She made quick work of 3 Auburn batters.

Come on, Penta, hang in there for 2 more innings!

After 6th inning:  Auburn 5 - Clemson 2

Penta walked a couple at the top of the inning but got 3 popups to SS to close out the inning without any damage.

Garcia with a base hit/Abbey Smith in to run for her.  Widra with a bunt single moves Smith to second.  Two on and Blaine comes in to pinch hit for Packer.  Blaine with a single to LF scores Smith. 

Clemson brings in a 4th pitcher (McCubbin) to replace Thompson and she manages to shut Auburn down without any further damage.

Come on Penta!

After the top of the 7th:  Auburn 5 - Clemson 2  AUBURN WINS!!!

Penta struck out the first 2 batters, then had to face Cagle whom she walked.  Fourth batter flew out to RF and Tresvik made the catch.  Penta seemed to possible injure her leg on a pitch this inning very similar to what happened to Fouts.  She said she was okay and stayed in to finish the inning.  Sure hope she's okay.

Edited by Golden Eagle
  • Thanks 1

Let's freaking go!!! BRI 💣  CRUSHED!!

3 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

3 RUN BRI BOMB!!!!!

Love that we got up early!!!!  Love that Bri had stepped it up in regional. That's 2 to deep center. 

• Like 1

Then, a 7 pitch inning for Penta! Let's go!!

Well crap.  2 errors in a row!!! Cut that out!