2023 Softball - Clemson Regional Tournament

Only bad news, another 2 to 3 hours of getting nothing done lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Only bad news, another 2 to 3 hours of getting nothing done lol

Espn says the game is scheduled for 20 min from now? Not much of a break...

GAME 7/CHAMPIONSHIP GAME:  #1 Clemson vs #2 Auburn on ESPN+ @ 2:05pm CDT

After 1st inning:  Auburn 0 - Clemson 1

Cagle pitching again for Clemson gets 3 consecutive ground outs by Auburn.

Penta pitching again for Auburn - hits the first batter.  Messy defensive inning by Auburn.  Clemson gets a run across on a passed ball.

After 2nd inning:  Auburn 0 - Clemson 3

Auburn doing nothing on offense.

Too many mistakes on defense/pitching.  Penta comes out and is replaced by Lowe.  Lowe inherited a tough situation (bases loaded) but gets out of the inning after giving up a run.

After 3rd inning:  Auburn 1 - Clemson 3

Packer with a strong line drive to deep RF uses her speed to make it to 3rd.  Scores on a bunt single by Widra.

Lowe gave up some hits but managed to get out of the inning without giving up any runs.

After 4th inning:  Auburn 1 - Clemson 5

Auburn's offensive woes continue.  Tresvik had a nice ground ball down the right field line but Auburn couldn't move her around the bases.

Clemson, with multiple hits, scores 2 more runs this inning.

After 5th inning:  Auburn 1 - Clemson 5

Auburn once again with 3 up/3 down.

Auburn replaces Lowe in the circle with Widra.  Widra walked one but got 3 outs without giving up a run.

After 6th inning:  Auburn 1 - Clemson 5

Clemson 2nd baseman made a spectacular jumping catch to rob Peralta of a base hit.  Roach beat out a soft ground ball for Auburn's 3rd hit of the game but no runs scored.

A couple of base runners for Clemson, and some hard hit balls, but no scores.

After 6.5 innings:  Auburn 1 - Clemson 5   CLEMSON WINS

Garcia beat out a slow ground ball for a base hit but Auburn couldn't score any runs.  The better team won today as Auburn's season comes to an end.

Edited by Golden Eagle

I’m more familiar with managing pitchers in baseball. Is starting Penta for this final game after the load she’s carried this weekend normal?

I'd grade that a past ball by lisenby, runner at third scores. That hurts...could have escaped that inning unscathed with less unforced errors.

Just now, tigeraddikt said:

I’m more familiar with managing pitchers in baseball. Is starting Penta for this final game after the load she’s carried this weekend normal?

In softball, pitchers can throw MUCH more than baseball. I've seen teams throw their ace for the entire weekend for regional and supers. 

4 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Not obstruction. Runner out at home. Thank God these moron commentators don't get to make these calls.

They aren't morons.  Stated the rule correctly.  It was a close call but this one went Auburn's way.

• Dislike 1

Just now, Golden Eagle said:

They aren't morons.  Stated the rule correctly.  It was a close call but this one went Auburn's way.

It wasn't close in my eyes. Unless she isn't allowed to try and make the catch at all of it crosses the base path. Plus the runner had a path even with all that being considered. 

I've heard enough from these commentators from the previous games this weekend that make me less than impressed. Like praising Auburn's first pitch swing approach in the first game against Clemson. Just didn't make sense to me.

3 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

It wasn't close in my eyes. Unless she isn't allowed to try and make the catch at all of it crosses the base path. Plus the runner had a path even with all that being considered. 

I've heard enough from these commentators from the previous games this weekend that make me less than impressed. Like praising Auburn's first pitch swing approach in the first game against Clemson. Just didn't make sense to me.

Here's Maddie Shipman's bio from Wikipedia.  She knows more about softball than you and I combined.  Sorry if you don't agree with her analysis.

She attended Valencia High School[6] and she later attended the University of Tennessee, where she played for the Tennessee Volunteers softball team from 2011-2014.[7][8] She led the Volunteers to the 2013 Women's College World Series championship where they finished as runner up to the Oklahoma Sooners. She was later selected 2nd overall in the 2014 National Pro Fastpitch Senior Draft and went on to be named Rookie of The Year and win the 2014 championship with the USSSA Pride.[9]

Shipman led Tennessee to back-to-back Women's College World Series appearances in 2012 and 2013. In 2013, Tennessee advanced to the Women's College World Series finals, where they lost to Oklahoma, 2–0. As a senior in 2014, she won the Senior CLASS Award for softball and the SEC Player of the Year award.[10][11] She also won the Honda Sports Award as the nation's top softball player.[12][13] She later went on to play professional softball with the USSSA Pride and the Scrap Yard Dawgs of National Pro Fastpitch.

2 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

Here's Maddie Shipman's bio from Wikipedia.  She knows more about softball than you and I combined.  Sorry if you don't agree with her analysis.

She attended Valencia High School[6] and she later attended the University of Tennessee, where she played for the Tennessee Volunteers softball team from 2011-2014.[7][8] She led the Volunteers to the 2013 Women's College World Series championship where they finished as runner up to the Oklahoma Sooners. She was later selected 2nd overall in the 2014 National Pro Fastpitch Senior Draft and went on to be named Rookie of The Year and win the 2014 championship with the USSSA Pride.[9]

Shipman led Tennessee to back-to-back Women's College World Series appearances in 2012 and 2013. In 2013, Tennessee advanced to the Women's College World Series finals, where they lost to Oklahoma, 2–0. As a senior in 2014, she won the Senior CLASS Award for softball and the SEC Player of the Year award.[10][11] She also won the Honda Sports Award as the nation's top softball player.[12][13] She later went on to play professional softball with the USSSA Pride and the Scrap Yard Dawgs of National Pro Fastpitch.

I'm glad you can copy and paste from Wikipedia. But if having experience made you a good commentator, than alot of bad commentators should be revisited in the eyes of the public. Not convincing. It doesn't make their take better.

Edited by KansasTiger

1 minute ago, KansasTiger said:

I'm glad you can copy and paste from Wikipedia. But if having experience made you a good commentator, than alot of bad commentators should be revisited in the eyes of the public. Not convincing. It doesn't make their take better.

LOL...whatever.

• Haha 1

Of course Cagle is up with them loaded

Lowe coming in to face the lefty Cagle. 

Good call by Dean. One thing I've liked is Dean heading to the mound in critical moments to settle the team.  They've usually responded. If Shelby can just get this last out ...

Big hit would be hard to come back from. 

Cagle is so patient.  Such a tough out

Walked in a run.  Maybe long run be the best thing 😆.  Rather her not hit a multi base hit. Now get this one please. 

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Good call by Dean. One thing I've liked is Dean heading to the mound in critical moments to settle the team.  They've usually responded. If Shelby can just get this last out ...

Big hit would be hard to come back from. 

With our sub par inconsistent hitting and Penta all but spent, this is already going to be hard to come back from.

• Like 1

Lisenby is juiced back there lol

• Like 1

Just now, KansasTiger said:

With our sub par inconsistent hitting and Penta all but spent, this is already going to be hard to come back from.

Shelby can do it if she plays like yesterday.  But yes, we need to do something on offense.

Wow!!! Smart play by Widra scores Packer and safe at first.  Packer hit a triple the play before.  Widra a swinging bunt to first, stopped so couldn't be tagged and Packer scores under tag.  Then Widra (not tagged) runs to first. 

Then a double play.  Oh if not Nelia running there.  Couldn't beat it out.  Tigers get a run.  3-1 Clemson