SBC Expels Churches

SaltyTiger

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/6/14/us-southern-baptists-reject-two-churches-over-women-pastors

“The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) in the United States has voted to confirm the expulsion of two churches over the presence of female pastors, in what critics see as part of a conservative shift within the denomination.”

https://baptistnews.com/article/a-primer-on-why-southern-baptists-are-fighting-over-women-in-ministry-once-again/

Virginia pastor Mike Law is leading the charge for an amendment to the SBC Constitution that would definitely state the denomination’s rejection of any church or pastor that ordains women to ministry or even gives a women a job title including the word “pastor.”

On his website explaining the need for a constitutional amendment, Law says modern culture “seeks to erase the distinctions between men and women” as part of a “drift toward liberalism.”

He warns: “Generally speaking, history shows that once a denomination has female pastors, it’s usually just a matter of time until they ordain homosexual pastors. … 

• Sad 1

Man, the religious right is taking a very hard shift lately. They're going full blown 16th century puritan, huh?

Bold Strategies Cotton GIF - Bold Strategies Cotton Pays Off - Discover &  Share GIFs

Wow, they are so scared of the homosexuals. They believe women as pastors somehow leads to a slippery slope to having homosexual pastors? :ucrazy:

Edited by arein0

14 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Wow, they are so scared of the homosexuals. They believe women as pastors somehow leads to a slippery slope to having homosexual pastors? :ucrazy:

I grew up in a Church with similar beliefs (not Baptist though). Women aren't allowed to preach because they believe the Bible explicitly forbids women from teaching men and taking any kind of leadership over men in the Church. Women are allowed to teach children and are sometimes allowed to lead women's groups as long as no men are present, but women are generally not allowed to preach, lead singing, lead bible study, or act as deacons, elders, etc. in the Church. 

Some Churches aren't as strict and will mix and match those things though. Like some churches will allow women to lead singing but not preach and stuff like that. 

They believe the bible gives each gender roles in the Church and that it would be a sin to defy those roles. Men are to be the teachers and leaders in the Church and the women are to help with the children and serve in support capacities. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, arein0 said:

Not “they”. Mike Law is. Obviously many have a problem with women ministers. Just interesting that a “blind eye” was turned for years. Resurfacing now. 

Edited by SaltyTiger

4 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I grew up in a Church with similar beliefs (not Baptist though). Women aren't allowed to preach because they believe the Bible explicitly forbids women from teaching men and taking any kind of leadership over men in the Church. Women are allowed to teach children and are sometimes allowed to lead women's groups as long as no men are present, but women are generally not allowed to preach, lead singing, lead bible study, or act as deacons, elders, etc. in the Church. 

Some Churches aren't as strict and will mix and match those things though. Like some churches will allow women to lead singing but not preach and stuff like that. 

They believe the bible gives each gender roles in the Church and that it would be a sin to defy those roles. Men are to be the teachers and leaders in the Church and the women are to help with the children and serve in support capacities. 

Can not refute anything you have said Coffee. I grew up a Methodist. As I recall we had one Sunday a year when women were invited to run the entire service. Pretty sure they even ushered and gathered collection. Not sure if they were allowed to count it.

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They need to stop being obsessed with women pastors and gays and start addressing why church attendance and belief in organized religion is plummeting. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

They need to stop being obsessed with women pastors and gays and start addressing why church attendance and belief in organized religion is plummeting. 

A big part of the attendance plummeting is what you said they need to stop.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Not “they”. Mike Law is. Obviously many have a problem with women ministers. Just interesting that a “blind eye” was turned for years. Resurfacing now. 

There is a full court press happening on anything seen as progressive or lacking “conservative values”. Michael Knowles just said the other day “we need to get out of 2023 values and get back to 1223 value. And he meant to say it. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

If your a progressive or tolerant/accepting Church why would even want to be a part of the Southern Baptist Convention? 

I do not like the SBC at all. I see many many errors in what they do. They foster the Country Club Christian philosophy. 

But, if you are at a struggling church, aligning with the SBC makes many thing fall into place. Training materials become very inexpensive, group discounts for insurance for staff, possibly even rent and mortgage assistance. Assistance with temp staff if needed. Help finding new staff, etc. The SBC is not for me, but I know pastors and churches that are now SBC simply due to financial considerations. 

As for my own beliefs, I see Priscilla and Aquilla, Acts 18, as an example of a far more modern example of shared or even female lead ministry.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Priscilla-and-Aquila.html

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1