USWNT SOCCER

AUBwins

I mean Dutch still subbing.  Surely somebody can come in

Just now, arein0 said:

Lavelle might need to be subbed off 😔

Great we use 2 subs and Rose is gonna be both of them. 

That's funny how they all friends now 😆 

2 minutes ago, arein0 said:

They are teammates on their club team

Oh I know.  Of course Lindsay probably cooled a bit after that nasty header.

Need to really ball out vs Portugal. Winning our group gives us a ridiculously easier path to a 3 peat.

Winning our group will have 2 "threats" in Sweden and Japan/Spain to reach the Finals

Getting 2nd will go down murders row by facing Brazil first, then likely Germany, then the likely the winner of England and Japan/Spain. 

• Like 1

Brazil lost to France this morning 🤯 they are now have to beat Jamaica to qualify. Tie or loss and they are done. This is all assuming Jamaica holds on to the W vs Panama.

Edited by arein0

Looks like the Women's World Cup has different seeding than the Mens World Cup. Usually you wouldn't have a chance of repeating with the other team in your group except in the Finals. Looks like this one you will see them in the semi's. If we advance to the knockouts it looks like we will face either Sweden or Italy

Screenshot_20230731_213310_Brave.jpg

Edited by arein0

If we're not looking for a new coach after this tournament I'll be shocked. 

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

Not saying they will, but as long as you are still alive, you have a chance at winning. Look at Argentina on the men's side losing to Saudi Arabia in the group stage. It's not about how you start, it's how you end. But yes, if it ended today, I would agree with you.

7 hours ago, AUDub said:

I had an interesting conversation with a coworker about the USWNT after we placed the Netherlands. To me the Dutch looked like better soccer players (touch, off ball movement, passing), but we looked like we had the clear advantage in athleticism (size strength speed).

I think if we lived in a world where football didn't exist and our top male athletes would play soccer instead, the men's team would be in a very similar situation. And I think it comes down to the youth and how we are as Americans. We as Americans are very inpatient and want to win at all costs. In youth soccer, you can win easily for the sacrifice of developing your players by putting your best/fastest player at forward and tell everyone to just kick the ball as far as you can and let the forward run onto it. Happens all the time because even at the youth level coaches are judged more on their wins/losses than they are at developing their players. So most of our youth isn't developing the skills that the Europeans are teaching their youth and we are falling behind. The rest of the world is catching up to our athleticism but have much better skills.

Title IX gave us a huge leg up and has for quite a while now. Say what you will about our development system for the last 3 or 4 decades but unlike other countries at least we had one.

With Europe and other regions starting to buy in to the women’s game though that advantage is about to disappear. They had a ready made system - facilities and coaching - already set up and ready to go, and they’re starting to utilize it.

But that’s not the biggest problem here. We’re still more talented and skilled than everyone else. Our problems are tactical. There’s not much reason behind Vlatko’s decisions. Positionally it’s a mess. Strategically it wouldn’t look that far removed from a high school level game  

I think part of it is that the inmates sort of run the asylum too. I’m not so sure he’s the final word on a lot of things. For example, while I appreciate Rapinoe, she shouldn’t be on this roster. He probably didn’t have a say in that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AUDub said:

We’re still more talented and skilled than everyone else. Our problems are tactical.

From what I've seen this World Cup, I would say Japan, Netherlands, Brazil, Spain are more skilled than we are, but we have the much better athletes. And maybe it is the scheme and they aren't used to playing it and are thinking too much.

For all the talk about how bad we've looked, it could've been worse. At least we aren't Brazil, who failed to get out of their group.

• Thanks 1

Germany just got eliminated in the group stage for the first time ever. Both Mens and Women's team for Germany failed to advance past the group stage in the most recent cups

On 8/3/2023 at 9:02 AM, arein0 said:

Germany just got eliminated in the group stage for the first time ever. Both Mens and Women's team for Germany failed to advance past the group stage in the most recent cups

And yet feels like we will be next to fall in the next round

Edited by AUBwins

If you'd told me our keeper would save 2 penalties and we'd still lose I'd not have believed you. 

Fire Vlatko now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

If you'd told me our keeper would save 2 penalties and we'd still lose I'd not have believed you. 

Fire Vlatko now. 

And their keeper didn't make a save...