Football and politics

LPTiger

6 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I agree with much of what you say, but found you leapt from “respectfully disagreeing” with me yesterday pretty quickly. When I listed the cut in funding as a percentage of the total budget, you immediately accused me of being “cute with numbers” suggesting I was being deceptive. I just posted the total budget number I found— I didn’t study it and hadn’t seen a break down. It wasn’t inaccurate and total budget numbers are often used. It’s not a trick. All you had to do was say you believed the operating budget— sans the pension funding— was the better number to use. I didn’t push back on that number — I didn’t know what it was. You offered it and I took you at your word it was correct. You failed to see a problem with how you responded to me. Perhaps you still do. But I’d suggest respectfully disagreeing with folks includes not making snippy comments that are unnecessary. I get that in adversarial “lawyer world” “cute with numbers” may be fairly tame. But when two folks are getting to know each other it sets a tone and impression. 

Most folks on this forum have engaged in considerable exchanges and impressions have been formed and patience has already been tested. I find when I engage someone for the first time I generally try to start with an open mind and assume they can be reasoned with. That’s perhaps harder to do when someone trots out common talking points that show little original thought. 

My bad TT.   I was snippy and shouldn't have been.  I'll try to do better.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, at least you are more honest than LP is - and express yourself more precisely.  (And he's a lawyer!) 

Now, would you also agree that "many" right wing "activists" are White Nationalists and/or nazis  and would vote for an authoritarian leader for the purpose of enacting their beliefs in our country?

I will agree that there are extremist on both sides of the equation. 

What does ‘defund the police’ mean and does it have merit? | Brookings.webloc     If you read this article you will see that the Defund the Police Movement includes taking funds away from police departments and giving them to other parts of government.   Homer, it does not always mean abolishing police departments i.e. taking away all of their funding as this author makes clear.   One goal of the defund movement was to make police departments smaller and thus force them to only be able to focus on certain crimes.   Some, like Cory Bush, obviously wants complete abolishment.   If you have ever run a business or a department and have been told to cut your budget by 7.5% (in my case it was a 10% cut required of all departments by a national consulting firm  -- who knew little about corporate legal departments) you understand how difficult such a decree is.  I had about 8 weeks to select and say goodbye to 8 good employees as well as find other areas to cut expense.  VP Harris applauded the move to cut the LAPD budget by 7.5% despite rising crime.   If was a horrible decision at a horrible time, but it played perfectly to the folks Harris wanted to make happy.  

• Dislike 2