OL Recruiting Concerns And Transfer Debate

keesler

We have one player left from the 2021 class? That’s almost like having a death penalty. 
we are going to have to rely on recruiting and transfer portal for years until our roster is stocked

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

We have one player left from the 2021 class? That’s almost like having a death penalty. 
we are going to have to rely on recruiting and transfer portal for years until our roster is stocked

Yep, especially on the OL and DL

52 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Just like nearly every other team, we are going to have to rely on the portal to replace 10-15% of the roster yearly even after we are "fully stocked".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Just like nearly every other team, we are going to have to rely on the portal to replace 10-15% of the roster yearly even after we are "fully stocked".

I’d like to find another team that only has one player left from the 2021 class other than Auburn. Maybe Colorado. An entire class is gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

I’d like to find another team that only has one player left from the 2021 class other than Auburn. Maybe Colorado. An entire class is gone. 

@gr82b4au I know but my point is nearly every team is going to rely on the portal to some extent no matter their circumstance. 

IMO OL can be the hardest position to evaluate in HS.   Often in HS, a potential OL prospect is going up against a kid that is giving up 50 pounds or more to him.   So he looks really good because of the matchup.   You can get a sense of his footwork and other things but nothing replaces seeing him one on one against another similar athlete.  I see value in being portal heavy for this particular position.   Obviously, don't rely on it 100% but don't be afraid to use it either.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

IMO OL can be the hardest position to evaluate in HS.   Often in HS, a potential OL prospect is going up against a kid that is giving up 50 pounds or more to him.   So he looks really good because of the matchup.   You can get a sense of his footwork and other things but nothing replaces seeing him one on one against another similar athlete.  I see value in being portal heavy for this particular position.   Obviously, don't rely on it 100% but don't be afraid to use it either.

That’s probably why those that attend the higher ranked camps get the higher rankings. They see them against highrr ranked atheletes.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

That’s probably why those that attend the higher ranked camps get the higher rankings. They see them against highrr ranked atheletes.

True but that's still heavily 1 on 1 work. OL blocking has a lot of team concepts in it.

• Like 3

I'm excited about Spencer for lots of reasons.   One is because he is a wrestler.   That sport is so much about leverage.   It teaches so many good habits.  Ryan Pugh says hello!!!

• Like 1

Kid from my hometown of Athens may be the only Athens Golden Eagle to come close to Auburn since we whiffed on Phillip Rivers. Hope he sticks with us.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Kid from my hometown of Athens may be the only Athens Golden Eagle to come close to Auburn since we whiffed on Phillip Rivers. Hope he sticks with us.

Phillip simply wan't good enough to play at Auburn or Alabama......  We are where this Golden Eagle wants to be.

Edited by LPTiger

56 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Phillip simply wan't good enough to play at Auburn or Alabama......  We are where this Golden Eagle wants to be.

I even remember a guy named Freddy Smith, I think that was his name, way back in the late seventies. He also played for the Stallions I think.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, toddc said:

I even remember a guy named Freddy Smith, I think that was his name, way back in the late seventies. He also played for the Stallions I think.

Online I see a 40 time for Phillip listed as 5.08.  I seem to recall concerns about his throwing motion or some other nonsense.  He only lasted 17 years in the NFL.

Edited by LPTiger

35 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Online I see a 40 time for Phillip listed as 5.08.  I seem to recall concerns about his throwing motion or some other nonsense.  He only lasted 17 years in the NFL.

One of our all time misses for sure. Not at that level yet, but I’m eager to watch Riley Leonard of Duke tonight. Another really good in-state QB we didn’t pursue.

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Phillip simply wan't good enough to play at Auburn or Alabama.

Rivers' college stats beg to differ, especially in 2003 compared to AU. He would have been a major upgrade for Bama all 4 of his college seasons.

Just now, ellitor said:

Rivers' college stats beg to differ, especially in 2003 compared to AU. He would have been a major upgrade for Bama all 4 og his college seasons.

Sorry E, I promised you I would use yellow font in the future, and I didn't do it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Rivers' college stats beg to differ, especially in 2003 compared to AU. He would have been a major upgrade for Bama all 4 og his college seasons.

E, I fixed them now.

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Pretty good HS HC too down here in South Al!!!

Edited by Hank2020
Sp

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

Rivers' college stats beg to differ, especially in 2003 compared to AU. He would have been a major upgrade for Bama all 4 of his college seasons.

Nobody anticipated what Rivers would become. At the time, the N.C. State coaches expected Rivers to redshirt a year as a QB, then he'd realize he wasn't college QB material and willingly convert to TE. This according to an interview with one of their coaches several years ago.

It's hard to blame AU for missing on Rivers's potential when every other team in America also missed it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 3:21 PM, Gowebb11 said:

One of our all time misses for sure. Not at that level yet, but I’m eager to watch Riley Leonard of Duke tonight. Another really good in-state QB we didn’t pursue.

The kid looked goooooood!  He's gotten some dang good QB coaching/development. 

On 9/5/2023 at 8:33 AM, Mikey said:

Nobody anticipated what Rivers would become. At the time, the N.C. State coaches expected Rivers to redshirt a year as a QB, then he'd realize he wasn't college QB material and willingly convert to TE. This according to an interview with one of their coaches several years ago.

It's hard to blame AU for missing on Rivers's potential when every other team in America also missed it.

Not to mention we signed a first round QB in the same class.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Are there currently any O-linemen we have a legitimate shot at and if so who?

Mal Waldrep is one and were still pushing to flip House from Stanford. There are a couple others committed elsewhere that are being worked as well. Also Favour Edwin has been trending lately

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Also Favour Edwin has been trending lately

I am concerned about Bama & Florida for now there.

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I am concerned about Bama & Florida for now there.

I'm always concerned about the OL. 😂

• Thanks 1