OL Recruiting Concerns And Transfer Debate

keesler

One would think with drastically improved coaching, a position of great need, a hefty NIL program, brand new facilities and a good chance of early PT, we’d be in a position to be raking high school online talent in right now.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, keesler said:

One would think with drastically improved coaching, a position of great need, a hefty NIL program, brand new facilities and a good chance of early PT, we’d be in a position to be raking high school online talent in right now.  

Yep. If we can land an outstanding class at other positions this season why not linemen?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yep. If we can land an outstanding class at other positions this season why not linemen?

irony-meter.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

irony-meter.gif

It's alleged to be a new day and and better roster management. You griped about the same ol' same ol'. When will the results become apparent? Right now the high school recruitment numbers are lower than in recent years.

38 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Tonight Show gif. A gray-haired Jimmy sips a cup of coffee, then immediately spits it out.

Spit your coffee as you will. Gus kept 16 to 18 scholarship O-line on the roster and that was before the transfer rules changed. That was with only high school recruits. When will the Big Improvement in recruiting O-line start?

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Spit your coffee as you will. Gus kept 16 to 18 scholarship O-line on the roster and that was before the transfer rules changed. That was with only high school recruits. When will the Big Improvement in recruiting O-line start?

We have 20 scholarship OL on the roster now so I guess we're doing better of course I'm counting 2 LS with that number.

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

We have 20 scholarship OL on the roster now so I guess we're doing better of course I'm counting 2 LS with that number.

Thanks to the new transfer rules. Apples to oranges.

50 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Drummers Drumming GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's alleged to be a new day and and better roster management. You griped about the same ol' same ol'. When will the results become apparent? Right now the high school recruitment numbers are lower than in recent years.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Thanks to the new transfer rules. Apples to oranges.

Dear-god-make-it-stop GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

can-you-believe-that-bill-burr.gif 

Yes 

• Haha 1

I’m not here to pile on Mikey, but I’d also like to know why the heck high school linemen aren’t jumping on AU right now.  Brand new facilities, a position of huge need, NIL $$ to match or exceed the likes of UGA/UA, excellent coaching and in the early stages of a rebuild where you can get PT and play in the best conference in the country.  It’s like a no-brainer to me, come to Auburn.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

You know OL recruiting is going well when we got 2 Longsnappers coming in.

We don't have two scholarship long snappers coming in.  What we have, today, is a commitment from one (1) offensive lineman.    Right now most of the top recruits are already committed. This recruiting cycle is at the time when, with a few exceptions, it's either try to flip someone or else start looking for diamonds in the rough.

According to certain insiders six or seven were the number that was wanted. Will we do what earlier coaches were criticized for and sign lower rated fallback guys, or just hope some few former 2* guys who signed with non-P-5 teams have blossomed at small schools and we can buy them for Auburn at portal time?

Today, this O-line class is Harsinesque.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

We don't have two scholarship long snappers coming in.  What we have, today, is a commitment from one (1) offensive lineman.    Right now most of the top recruits are already committed. This recruiting cycle is at the time when, with a few exceptions, it's either try to flip someone or else start looking for diamonds in the rough.

According to certain insiders six or seven were the number that was wanted. Will we do what earlier coaches were criticized for and sign lower rated fallback guys, or just hope some few former 2* guys who signed with non-P-5 teams have blossomed at small schools and we can buy them for Auburn at portal time?

Today, this O-line class is Harsinesque.

We've been a cemetery for offensive linemen for almost all of them for the past decade. Freeze did what he had to do in the portal. As far as recruiting goes it is going to be a wait and see what happens this season before some OL will start to trust us again. Mikey, if you get food poisoning eating pork chops at a favorite restaurant you'd probably be hesitant to eat pork chops again even after the restaurant came under new management. Freeze will get us there. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Freeze will get us there

I expect and hope that he will. What sets me off is the hypocrisy of a few who griped about O-line recruiting for years but now make excuses for the present situation.

It is a mite curious how well Freeze has recruited other positions but is whiffing at O-line. Any difficulty because of a new staff should be universal across all positions.

For the past few years all high school OLinemen were hearing is "you don't want to go to Auburn.  They do not develop you and do not make you an NFL prospect".  It doesn't matter who you are you as a coach, you do not overcome this in one year.  The mindset of high school recruits will change when they see some progress on the field, which, thanks to Hugh's portal signings, they will see this year and the next.  Better days are ahead.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I expect and hope that he will. What sets me off is the hypocrisy of a few who griped about O-line recruiting for years but now make excuses for the present situation.

It is a mite curious how well Freeze has recruited other positions but is whiffing at O-line. Any difficulty because of a new staff should be universal across all positions.

I don't see it as hypocrisy as much as realistic logical thinking. One of the previous two coaches didn't even try. Freeze's efforts can't be compared yet. It'll happen. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

I don't see it as hypocrisy as much as realistic logical thinking. One of the previous two coaches didn't even try. Freeze's efforts can't be compared yet. It'll happen. 

Freeze has done well at other positions. What's up with the O-line?

21 hours ago, gr82be said:

Don't waste your time trying to discuss. 

• Like 2