Awards of the Week Thread

toddc

This is promising!

Auburn's Gunner Britton named SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week

Gunner Britton

Story Links

AUBURN, Ala. – Displaying his versatility by playing three positions in Auburn's season-opening win over Massachusetts, Gunner Britton has been named Southeastern Conference Offensive Lineman of the Week, the SEC announced Monday.

"It's a blessing," Britton said. "It's not really about me. It's about my teammates and what they do for me. I can't wait to call my dad. He's going to probably cry. It will be a good thing for my whole family. It's a big accomplishment but for me, it's the first game. I've got 11 more, hopefully 12 and 13."

A 6-6, 312-pound senior transfer from Western Kentucky, Britton logged snaps at left guard, right tackle and left tackle vs. the Minutemen.

"I think it just speaks to his importance to us," Auburn coach Hugh Freeze said. "He needs to be on the field, and we need to stay fresh because we like to go fast, and he gives us freedom to move some puzzle pieces around because of his flexibility. He's really invaluable with that. Gunner has a really sharp IQ."

Britton and his O-line teammates helped the Tigers rush for six touchdowns and 289 yards on 44 attempts, an average of 6.6 yards per carry in Auburn's 59-14 win.
Playing multiple positions is nothing for Britton.

"My first couple years at Western, I was moved to center and I was doing center and tackle," he said. "I've played some guard when guys got hurt. Last year I played both tackles. It's a cool opportunity that I get to do all of it. I try to do anything that's asked of me as a player. I want to help my team win in any way shape or form."

Auburn plays at California Saturday at 9:30 p.m. CT on ESPN.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Man..Kaufman is best the closer he is to the line of scrimmage. Hope he can avoid the injury bug this year and sniff out qbs. He was a beast on Saturday

• Like 5

Maybe a future award in the making.

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

Gunnar's story this week is pretty awesome. He's really happy to be at AU

He's gonna be really good

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tigerken said:

Man..Kaufman is best the closer he is to the line of scrimmage. Hope he can avoid the injury bug this year and sniff out qbs. He was a beast on Saturday

2 years ago DK didn’t even know where to line up half the time.   This past Saturday he was AUsome!!!  His timing, speed, and pursuit angles coming off the edge were fantastic!   He’s going to be a problem for opposing offenses this year!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, PikesEagle said:

When is the last time we had an offensive lineman of the week from the plains.

Britton is the first Auburn player to earn the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week title since Nick Brahms in week nine of the 2020 season. 

Auburn game against LSU. Won 48-11.

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, toddc said:

Bo Jackson, Lionel James and a bevy of other backs.

Bo Jackson, Brent Fullwood and another bevy of backs.

Cadillac, Ronnie Brown, Tre Smith, Brandon Jacobs.

I think these guys can be good but to make this kind of statement with AU's history of running backs makes no sense.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Britton is the first Auburn player to earn the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week title since Nick Brahms in week nine of the 2020 season. 

Auburn game against LSU. Won 48-11.

Appreciate the quick response Paladin. Maybe we can get a few more of these awards this year and beyond.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Bo Jackson, Lionel James and a bevy of other backs.

Bo Jackson, Brent Fullwood and another bevy of backs.

Cadillac, Ronnie Brown, Tre Smith, Brandon Jacobs.

I think these guys can be good but to make this kind of statement with AU's history of running backs makes no sense.

It’s not a statement, it’s a question. Big difference.

18 hours ago, toddc said:

i think so. also gunner is special.

28 minutes ago, toddc said:

29 minutes ago, toddc said:

But why even ask the question.  None of them have done anything to warrant the question. Hunter was a good back last year, but year one he fumbled a lot and had very average numbers against SEC teams. Alston had a few carries last year and the others are brand new to AU. They all had good games against a lower tier team. At this point it is a silly question to even being asked.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

But why even ask the question.  None of them have done anything to warrant the question. Hunter was a good back last year, but year one he fumbled a lot and had very average numbers against SEC teams. Alston had a few carries last year and the others are brand new to AU. They all had good games against a lower tier team. At this point it is a silly question to even being asked.

come on man. this is a sports board where we talk and share differing opinions. people are just optimistic after some shaky years. and the reason people are saying it or agreeing it is most of your pods have been throwing that out for a while and they have no problem talking about it. shrugs.

I’m giving Asante an award 🥇 even if the league doesn’t!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, toddc said:

Sorry for the ear worm,  But Asante needs his own Chant.  ANY IDEAS? 

May be a real musician can come up with better lyrics.  This will get stuck in opponents heads all game.  It's difficult to hear this and  not get this stuck in your head.

When a turf hits your eye

like a big pizza pie

That's ASANTA

When you see stars in your eyes 

like you've had too much wine

That's ASANTA

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Sorry for the ear worm,  But Asante needs his own Chant.  ANY IDEAS? 

May be a real musician can come up with better lyrics.  This will get stuck in opponents heads all game.  It's difficult to hear this and  not get this stuck in your head.

When a turf hits your eye

like a big pizza pie

That's ASANTA

When you see stars in your eyes 

like you've had too much wine

That's ASANTA

We could just translate it and it fits. Asante means Thank You.

After Cal game, we can definitely say "Eugene...Thank You!"

• Like 3

On 9/7/2023 at 2:43 PM, tigerken said:

Let's all meet at tigerken's house and pummel him for causing Kaufman's concussion.... 

• Haha 1

Not an award but I’ll allow it!

Rivaldo Fairweather listed among SEC's top performing players from week two

Taylor Jones

The Auburn Tigers departed California with a late win to progress to 2-0 on the young season.

The win would not have happened without the efforts of tight end Rivaldo Fairweather.

Buy Tigers Tickets

In the 4th quarter of Auburn’s 14-10 win over California, quarterback Payton Thorneconnected with Fairweather for a five-yard touchdown with 6:31 remaining to push Auburn ahead for the first time since the later stages of the first half.

Following week two’s action across the SEC, College Sports Wire’s Ryan Haley highlighted Fairweather’s performance by including him in the SEC’s top performers list. In the list, Haley listed Fairweather as the SEC’s top receiver from week two.

Who says your leading receiver needs to be a receiver at all? In a low-scoring war of attrition with California out west, Fairweather saved the day for the Tigers. He caught the game-winning touchdown with just over six minutes left to play, and he was the only Auburn player with more than two receptions.

In the young season, Fairweather has hauled in three catches for 31 yards and a touchdown. In three previous seasons at FIU, Fairweather made 54 catches for 838 yards and five touchdowns.