Even when they have time, most in the media dont get things right: The Truth on the Matthew Shepard Murder...

DKW 86

Simple takeaway, he was murdered in a drug deal gone bad. One of his murderers was a longtime, well-known local gay sex toy Shepard had hooked up with several times. The two killers were caught trying to bust into Shepard's home looking for drugs. What the local police knew and understood did not meet the narrative and so was just plainly discarded by the media.

It did serve a purpose and I see that plainly and am thankful for that ultimately. But I have to ask, how many times do we just get flat-out lies from the MSM? Do we really believe anything the MSM says anymore?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/26/the-truth-behind-americas-most-famous-gay-hate-murder-matthew-shepard

Edited by DKW 86

5 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Simple takeaway, he was murdered in a drug deal gone bad. One of his murderers was a longtime, well-known local gay sex toy Shepard had hooked up with several times. The two killers were caught trying to bust into Shepard's home looking for drugs. What the local police knew and understood did not meet the narrative and so was just plainly discarded by the media.

It did serve a purpose and I see that plainly and am thankful for that ultimately. But I have to ask, how many times do we just get flat-out lies from the MSM? Do we really believe anything the MSM says anymore?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/26/the-truth-behind-americas-most-famous-gay-hate-murder-matthew-shepard

Some of it also has to do with lazy reporting.  One reporter uses another's report and it spreads.  Thankfully, we do live in a country where someone can investigate farther and uncover more facts.  This kid's murder was a horrific way to die, regardless of the underlying motives.  There could also be more than one motive underlying the series of events that took place.  They certainly didn't need to kill the guy to steal money and drugs from him.

7 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Some of it also has to do with lazy reporting.  One reporter uses another's report and it spreads.  Thankfully, we do live in a country where someone can investigate farther and uncover more facts.  This kid's murder was a horrific way to die, regardless of the underlying motives.  There could also be more than one motive underlying the series of events that took place.  They certainly didn't need to kill the guy to steal money and drugs from him.

Working in a Rescue Mission Ministry for a while, I saw that when it comes to drug culture, this level of crazy is just common everyday business. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

So, does this mean "The Guardian" is not part of the "MSM" and can be trusted? :-\

It means do your homework. The Guardian has had their fair share of misreporting as have all MSM sources. Of course we all know the lazy among us only cite Fox News as not being trustworthy. Sad.

Edited by AUFAN78
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

It means do your homework. The Guardian has had their fair share of misreporting as have all MSM sources. Of course we all know the lazy among us only cite Fox News as not being trustworthy. Sad.

"Fox News" has one core problem that makes bad reporting worse.  Half of their viewership tunes in to Fox Entertainment division programming thinking they are getting actual news reporting.  It is hard to blame them, after all, "Fox News" is stamped on the bottom of the broadcast. We have never seen the kind of purposeful factually void reporting that Fox has engaged in over the past 10 to 15 years from any other media entity.  As Fox attorneys told the court in recent pleadings, "our audience doesn't assume that we tell the truth."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

"Fox News" has one core problem that makes bad reporting worse.  Half of their viewership tunes in to Fox Entertainment division programming thinking they are getting actual news reporting.  It is hard to blame them, after all, "Fox News" is stamped on the bottom of the broadcast. We have never seen the kind of purposeful factually void reporting that Fox has engaged in over the past 10 to 15 years from any other media entity.  As Fox attorneys told the court in recent pleadings, "our audience doesn't assume that we tell the truth."

Of course we all know the lazy among us only cite Fox News as not being trustworthy. Sad.

3 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

It means do your homework. The Guardian has had their fair share of misreporting as have all MSM sources. Of course we all know the lazy among us only cite Fox News as not being 

https://www.pewresearch.org/journalism/2014/10/21/political-polarization-media-habits/

luckily liberals do tend to get info from a variety of news sources. it’s conservatives that seem to need to do a better job of expanding their information bubble outside one or two sources. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

https://www.pewresearch.org/journalism/2014/10/21/political-polarization-media-habits/

luckily liberals do tend to get info from a variety of news sources. it’s conservatives that seem to need to do a better job of expanding their information bubble outside one or two sources. 

Doesn't mean that those sources are correct the majority of the time: Russians Russians Russians.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, homersapien said:

So, does this mean "The Guardian" is not part of the "MSM" and can be trusted? :-\

Even for you, that was pretty weak. If you were going to challenge the story, then do that. I shared a well-researched article that told what are now considered to be facts in the longer view. One of the killers was a known gay sex toy around town and he and Shepard had several hookups along the way. These two were found breaking into Shepard's apartment/rental home looking for a stash of drugs they believed to be there. 

Now, does it make sense that the media portrayed this as a hate crime when it clearly was not? How many hate crimes are perpetrated by popularly known members of the hated group? I would think that would be essentially zero. How many hate crime perps then go back to the home of the victim while they are being looked for by police? Do they go back looking for drugs? You just put the drugs into play here and you can basically throw the rest out. These two were just druggies on a spree and got caught. This level of violence is every day in the drug community. Maybe MS bought his stash from a new drug dealer or was selling for a new drug dealer. That alone would justify the violence used in the drug world. 

16 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Of course we all know the lazy among us only cite Fox News as not being trustworthy. Sad.

The fact is that they lie on a much more grand of a scale than does anyone else.  There is a difference between presenting something in the most favorable way possible and outright lies.  Only right wing media is being forced to settle billions of dollars worth of legal claims due to their intentional reporting of lies concerning the 2020 election.   The sad part is that they can look into the eyes of their viewers and admit to lying and their viewers still excuse the behavior.

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Even for you, that was pretty weak. If you were going to challenge the story, then do that. I shared a well-researched article that told what are now considered to be facts in the longer view. One of the killers was a known gay sex toy around town and he and Shepard had several hookups along the way. These two were found breaking into Shepard's apartment/rental home looking for a stash of drugs they believed to be there. 

Now, does it make sense that the media portrayed this as a hate crime when it clearly was not? How many hate crimes are perpetrated by popularly known members of the hated group? I would think that would be essentially zero. How many hate crime perps then go back to the home of the victim while they are being looked for by police? Do they go back looking for drugs? You just put the drugs into play here and you can basically throw the rest out. These two were just druggies on a spree and got caught. This level of violence is every day in the drug community. Maybe MS bought his stash from a new drug dealer or was selling for a new drug dealer. That alone would justify the violence used in the drug world. 

Even for you that was an overly verbose diversion. :-\  So is The Guardian part of the "main street media" or not? 

Simple question.

18 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

It means do your homework. The Guardian has had their fair share of misreporting as have all MSM sourc

The RNC, which has defended Donald Trump’s lies that led to a violent attempt to overturn the 2020 election, has repeatedly faulted “SERIAL LIAR” Biden for exaggerating the damage done by a fire in his home decades ago. The accuracy standard of @RNCResearch’s attacks is little higher than the former president’s. It spread false stories about an unseen White House official silencing Biden with a mute button, about a bird pooping on Biden, about Biden making an antisemitic remark and about Biden being disoriented.

“Did Joe Biden just announce he has cancer?” the RNC ridiculed one day, apparently unaware that Biden has had various non-melanoma skin cancers removed.

“Joe Biden says the length of Barack Obama’s signature is shorter than his. Obama’s is 3 letters longer,” the RNC mocked on another day, clearly unaware that Biden signs his name “Joseph R. Biden Jr.”

Yet some in the news media fall for such nonsense. “NEW: Slacker-in-chief Biden keeps up record 40% ‘vacation’ pace despite disasters,” went an @RNCResearch attack, linking to a New York Post article that cited … the RNC.

Apparently, the RNC has decided that whenever Biden is home in Delaware or at Camp David for the weekend, he’s on “vacation.” A tally by former CBS News White House reporter Mark Knoller, the czar of presidential statistics, finds that Biden has spent all or part of 221 days in Delaware and nine at Lake Tahoe; at this same point in his presidency, Trump had spent 239 days at Mar a Lago and his club in Bedminster.

The RNC misdirected many more with an Aug. 14 tweet of a clip in which Biden was asked about the rising death toll in Maui and he replied, “No comment.” In fact, he had already commented on the tragedy. But the RNC’s efforts and Trump’s false claim that “Biden refuses to help or comment on the tragedy in Maui” fueled a spate of negative coverage.

Before long, Biden was hotfooting it off to Lahaina, Hawaii — and that fateful moment when he would commit an act of dog petting so egregious it would sully him for all of history as one sick puppy.

es. Of course we all know the lazy among us only cite Fox News as not being trustworthy. Sad.

So is Fox part of the "main street media"?

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

So is Fox part of the "main street media"?

They are.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

They are.

Thanks!

Now, can you clue me in as to what outlets aren't and are (presumably) trustworthy?     (This ought to be good.)

Edited by homersapien

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Thanks!

Now, can you clue me in as to what outlets aren't and are (presumably) trustworthy?     (This ought to be good.)

Hillsdale College, World magazine and Focus on the Family are three that I trust and enjoy.

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

Even for you that was an overly verbose diversion. :-\  So is The Guardian part of the "main street media" or not? 

Simple question.

Intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer...

15 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Hillsdale College, World magazine and Focus on the Family are three that I trust and enjoy.

Actually, those are actually conservatively-biased opinion sources. 

That hardly makes them alternatives to "mainstream media".

Edited by homersapien

44 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's how you respond to a "simple question"??  :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Yes, sorry you didnt comprehend it. 😆

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well perhaps you need to start writing down to the level of the audience, oh exalted iconoclast.  :-\

I am using the 5th grade rule but I feel it is just too high.

54 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I am using the 5th grade rule but I feel it is just too high.

Apparently too high for Auburn University MS degree holders. :-\

Maybe it's not just writing style but perhaps your overwhelming cognitive capability and intellectual insight is the problem?  :laugh:

Edited by homersapien

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Apparently too high for Auburn University MS degree holders. :-\

Maybe it's not just writing style but your overwhelming cognitive capability and intellectual insight that's the problem?  :laugh:

I am indeed an AU Grad with an MS Degree. Glad you noticed...😉