Men's team chances to contend for SEC crown

aubiefifty

Auburn Wire

247Sports breaks down Auburn’s chances to contend for SEC crown

Taylor Jones
Wed, September 13, 2023 at 3:00 PM CDT·2 min read

19143d701791dbfdc5d2d7de89c6fa8f

The Auburn Tigers finished with a 21-13 record in 2022-23 and ended the campaign with a strong home stretch that concluded with a 14-2 record.

This season, the Tigers will have a solid mix of experienced returners and solid newcomers. The perfect combination of the two will put Auburn in a great position to contend for the SEC Championship.

How high are their odds compared to the rest of the SEC? Isaac Trotter of 247Sports breaks it down.

Trotter recently evaluated every SEC roster ahead of the new season that begins in November and has placed each program into a tier. There are four tiers to his list, and the Tigers are in tier two, which is titled “Middle of the Pack with top-4 upside.”

The tier fits teams that Trotter feels “have enough talent to make the NCAA Tournament, but it has a few too many questions to be an unquestioned championship contender right now.” Trotter says that Auburn has championship upside thanks to the return of Jaylin Williams and Johni Broome, but the backcourt is young and unproven.

Auburn has plenty of new players who are ready to make an impact on the program says Trotter.

FIU transfer Denver Jones is a flat-out bucket, and freshman Aden Holloway has garnered rave reviews all summer. The shooting gravity from Jones and Holloway should immediately change the geography of how teams have to guard Auburn. Chad Baker-Mazara is a fascinating addition who has bounced around a bit but has the game to be an ideal 3-and-D wing that Auburn just didn’t really have last season.

Trotter concluded by saying that Auburn can move to tier one, which is a tier filled with “championship contenders,” if Holloway plays at a high level and that Jones’ talents translate well to the SEC.

Tennessee is the only program in tier one at the moment, with Texas A&M, Arkansas, Alabama, Kentucky, Florida, and Mississippi State joining Auburn in tier two.

Auburn opens the 2023-24 season on Tuesday, Nov. 7 against Baylor at Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

• Thanks 1

Auburn Tigers

11957277.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: Getty)

TIER 2: MIDDLE OF THE PACK WITH TOP-4 UPSIDE

Auburn has championship upside. All the other pieces are here. The frontline combination of Jaylin Williams and Johni Broome is nasty. Auburn had one of the top rim defenses last season, and that won't change in 2023-24.

Auburn's backcourt is just missing the proof of concept.

FIU transfer Denver Jones is a flat-out bucket, and freshman Aden Holloway has garnered rave reviews all summer. The shooting gravity from Jones and Holloway should immediately change the geography of how teams have to guard Auburn. Chad Baker-Mazara is a fascinating addition who has bounced around a bit but has the game to be an ideal 3-and-D wing that Auburn just didn't really have last season.

Auburn's guard play should be much improved. If Holloway doesn't hit a freshman wall and Jones' game translates to the high-major level (rival coaches RAVED about Jones), Auburn is a Tier 1 SEC squad. For now, Bruce Pearl and Co. sit atop Tier 2.

Auburn’s projected starting lineup

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had two of the very best players in college ball last year and didn't contend. Not trying to be a wet blanket but I don't see how we are better this year. I'll have to see to believe.

• Facepalm 1

On 9/14/2023 at 10:34 PM, Mikey said:

We had two of the very best players in college ball last year and didn't contend. Not trying to be a wet blanket but I don't see how we are better this year. I'll have to see to believe.

We..did? Who...?

• Like 2

I think we win it. This team is different. They're all gym rats and the chemistry is the best I've heard of.  It should be a fun year! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

35 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think we win it. This team is different. They're all gym rats and the chemistry is the best I've heard of.  It should be a fun year! 

Here's hoping you are correct. I'll be screaming WAR EAGLE but I have my doubts about AU contending for the SEC crown.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Team Chemistry is light years better for this team. Shooring and team scoring will be a lot better also. Everyone in and around the program will be very disappointed if we are not better than we were last year.

I think Mikey was just a year behind in his head. This team is going to surprise some people. I've wanted shooters like this team has for for the last 5 years.

One thing I'm interested in is more info on Chad Baker-Mazara. I still hear about potential, but I havent heard much about how he's looked since he got on the team. Is his shooting as lights out as his numbers seem to indicate? How's his defense coming along?

8 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

One thing I'm interested in is more info on Chad Baker-Mazara. I still hear about potential, but I havent heard much about how he's looked since he got on the team. Is his shooting as lights out as his numbers seem to indicate? How's his defense coming along?

Shooting well & I thought his D was always good.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

I think Mikey was just a year behind in his head.

Obviously I was a year behind when thinking of Smith and Kessler.

What I'm seeing is much hope for team chemistry. Yes team chemistry is important but it won't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, as the old saying goes. Also seeing much about better shooters. They may have shot well at lower levels of competition but will that carry over against better defenses? We'll see.

I hope y'all are correct but I want to see it happen on the court before I get my hopes up.

• Like 1

We are contenders no doubt about it. May not win it but will be in it until the end I think. Bruce has really made an effort to address the obvious weaknesses from last season and I think it’ll pay off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

What I'm seeing is much hope for team chemistry. Yes team chemistry is important but it won't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, as the old saying goes. Also seeing much about better shooters. They may have shot well at lower levels of competition but will that carry over against better defenses? We'll see.

I hope y'all are correct but I want to see it happen on the court before I get my hopes up.

We have the same front court, so all we need to be better is better guardplay. I feel relatively confident in saying that won't be hard with who we had and who we have coming in. How much better? Yet to be seen. But we were already playing lesser competition on a regular basis that had better guard play than us.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 8:15 AM, Mikey said:

So you are saying stepping up the athlete and playing better competition could effect the player?

Interesting concept

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

So you are saying stepping up the athlete and playing better competition could effect the player?

Interesting concept

What does this statement even mean?

Like all things Auburn and sports in general, it’s potential which means nothing in the scheme of things. Lots of potential and that’s all. 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Men's team chances to contend for SEC crown