2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Only thing I've criticized on his portal recruiting this yr is that he doesn't seem to want to upgrade the QB room. If that's being fickle. Guilty as charged 

My fickle comment was speaking generalities not pointed directly at you. "Losing the portal" is something that has been stated ad nauseam in message boards and podcasts. My point is, last year those same people talked about how he owned the portal and this year it's like everyone forgot. 

With regard to not wanting to upgrade the QB room, WW showed today that he raises the floor in that room. You don't need a portal QB to upgrade. 

7 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Maybe he shouldn't say anything.  I was for Freeze and still am. But when he makes statements that he was recruiting and not involved in the game plan or going  back and forth on to take a QB or not it gives the appearance of being in over your head.

Freeze is definitely in over his head right now. Seems like things are moving too fast for him. Things should slow down for him as he gets more adjusted at Auburn but he’s struggling to balance things right now. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

My fickle comment was speaking generalities not pointed directly at you. "Losing the portal" is something that has been stated ad nauseam in message boards and podcasts. My point is, last year those same people talked about how he owned the portal and this year it's like everyone forgot. 

With regard to not wanting to upgrade the QB room, WW showed today that he raises the floor in that room. You don't need a portal QB to upgrade. 

Your basing your opinion that we don't need a portal QB because of what someone did in a high school Allstar game??????? IMO we need a QB to bridge the gap to WW, HG or whoever. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Your basing your opinion that we don't need a portal QB because of what someone did in a high school Allstar game??????? IMO we need a QB to bridge the gap to WW, HG or whoever. 

I agree with you but if we don't get one then it will be White or Brown next year as I have lost all hope in Thorne.

15 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree with you but if we don't get one then it will be White or Brown next year as I have lost all hope in Thorne.

LoI just have a feeling that PT is gonna trot out there 1st game. I'm fine with going scored earth youth movement.  We won't win many games but I'm all 4 it. I don't think the team backs Thorne. Based on body language I saw

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

So Walker hits a wheel route in a high school game and Brown completes a few passes against 3rd stringers and you’re ready for them to lead the team next year?? 

56 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Freeze is definitely in over his head right now. Seems like things are moving too fast for him. Things should slow down for him as he gets more adjusted at Auburn but he’s struggling to balance things right now. 

This is the same thing Finebaum said, that Freeze is really struggling to adjust to the "NEW" way of doing things in the SEC with NIL, portal comings and goings, high school recruiting, and everything else that goes into being a big time college head coach.  Not even close to being the way it was when he was at Ole Miss.  Hugh needs to build a cast of folks around him that he can depend on to help him out until he gets organized.  So far he apparently doesn't have these folks in place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FB11 said:

So Walker hits a wheel route in a high school game and Brown completes a few passes against 3rd stringers and you’re ready for them to lead the team next year?? 

If you read my whole statement I agreed we need a Portal QB and that is my preference. I said if we don't get the Portal QB, then yes I want one of them. I trust both more than Thorne not because of what they have done but because of what I have seen from Thorne. 

• Like 1

I was really convinced that if Hugh hit the transfer portal as hard as he did last cycle - the transfer class and the incoming 2024 high school recruiting class would have us competing for championships next year.

I’m severely underwhelmed so far. I’m also questioning Hugh’s ability to land the right QB. He never had an elite guy at Ole Miss either. 

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

No, I'm basing my opinion on not needing a portal QB because I think WW is that good. I'm not suggesting him being the starter as a true freshman, but I am saying he upgrades the room. 

In your opinion, what QB is out there (that AU has a legit chance of getting) actually upgrades the room?

1 minute ago, Browning4AU said:

No, I'm basing my opinion on not needing a portal QB because I think WW is that good. I'm not suggesting him being the starter as a true freshman, but I am saying he upgrades the room. 

In your opinion, what QB is out there (that AU has a legit chance of getting) actually upgrades the room?

Well, not many now. I think Kj Jefferson would have been an upgrade to PT. Legit chance depends on how much we spend. We seem to want to spend money on other areas. Cam Ward would have been an upgrade. We just need a stop gap better than Thorne for 1 year.  After what I saw from Thorne this yr, that shouldn't be too hard to get. Like I said, I'm good if the QB is WW or HB. But if PT is on the roster, it will be him

I wonder how much Cam Newton would be worth today?  We definitely got a bargain at 280k !!!

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

I wonder how much Cam Newton would be worth today?  We definitely got a bargain at 280k !!!

There probably was $ thrown around but I'm not at all sorry, looking at what our peers have gotten away with.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Well, not many now. I think Kj Jefferson would have been an upgrade to PT. Legit chance depends on how much we spend. We seem to want to spend money on other areas. Cam Ward would have been an upgrade. We just need a stop gap better than Thorne for 1 year.  After what I saw from Thorne this yr, that shouldn't be too hard to get. Like I said, I'm good if the QB is WW or HB. But if PT is on the roster, it will be him

Is it too much to just develop the guys that are on the roster? Hank Brown was CHF's guy and WW was CHF's guy. I don't think it's worth building a program using a stop gap QB. Cam Ward was/is a pipe dream, and I don't think KJ would have been an upgrade. It's not worth bringing in another mediocre guy from the portal. I'm all for doing whatever you can to upgrade every position, but I don't see one attainable guy in the portal that immediately translates to wins over the guys in that room. Coaches need to do their job, develop the guys, and create game plans to put them in the best position to win. Maybe that's just me. 

• Like 4

I don’t see us contending next year, I don’t think CHF does either. But he’s reading the room correctly...our fans won’t settle for taking lumps with a freshman QB.. 

So he thinks he can squeeze out a couple of more wins with Thorne..

I think CHF would rather go with grooming the QBs he’s signed. The fans won’t have the patience.. So here we are 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Is it too much to just develop the guys that are on the roster? Hank Brown was CHF's guy and WW was CHF's guy. I don't think it's worth building a program using a stop gap QB. Cam Ward was/is a pipe dream, and I don't think KJ would have been an upgrade. It's not worth bringing in another mediocre guy from the portal. I'm all for doing whatever you can to upgrade every position, but I don't see one attainable guy in the portal that immediately translates to wins over the guys in that room. Coaches need to do their job, develop the guys, and create game plans to put them in the best position to win. Maybe that's just me. 

I think it's a big gamble to put the hopes of the team this year on  true freshman or a cat that's only thrown 9 passes. The natives are already restless. Like it or not , the portal shortes coaches leashes. But to each his own. I just don't think PT is the answer. Maybe he will improve if Hugh calls all the plays. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

I don’t see how the current system is sustainable?  At some point the market has got to level itself.    

there are over 2500 players in the portal!!   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I think it's a big gamble to put the hopes of the team this year on  true freshman or a cat that's only thrown 9 passes. The natives are already restless. Like it or not , the portal shortes coaches leashes. But to each his own. I just don't think PT is the answer. Maybe he will improve if Hugh calls all the plays. 

You keep bringing up PT as if I said he's the answer, but I didn't. As a matter of fact, PT is an example of how bringing in any of the available transfer QBs are equally as much a gamble as rolling with someone currently on the roster. Most people thought he raised the floor, but turns out he didn't. Are you suggesting taking the insane approach of doing the same thing that didn't work out last year? Or wouldn't it make sense to identify someone in the Spring and push and develop them?

EDIT: Again, who is out there in the transfer portal would you suggest AU go after that actually upgrades the room? 

Edited by Browning4AU

14 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

You keep bringing up PT as if I said he's the answer, but I didn't. As a matter of fact, PT is an example of how bringing in any of the available transfer QBs are equally as much a gamble as rolling with someone currently on the roster. Most people thought he raised the floor, but turns out he didn't. Are you suggesting taking the insane approach of doing the same thing that didn't work out last year? Or wouldn't it make sense to identify someone in the Spring and push and develop them?

EDIT: Again, who is out there in the transfer portal would you suggest AU go after that actually upgrades the room? 

I gave u 3 or 4 transfers.  I'm not gonna argue back and forth.  If Hugh wants to go the youth movement,  cool. Just get ready for alot of growing pains. I agree that it's best to develop what we have. That doesn't mean HB or WW will be ready next yr. Development takes time. As to who is out there in the portal. The question is not who was or is in the portal. There was a bunch in the portal that's an upgrade to the room. AU don't wanna pay up so they didn't get one. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I gave u 3 or 4 transfers.  I'm not gonna argue back and forth.  If Hugh wants to go the youth movement,  cool. Just get ready for alot of growing pains. I agree that it's best to develop what we have. That doesn't mean HB or WW will be ready next yr. Development takes time. As to who is out there in the portal. The question is not who was or is in the portal. There was a bunch in the portal that's an upgrade to the room. AU don't wanna pay up so they didn't get one. 

Brother, I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand your point of view. There's no ill will, I'm just having a conversation. I have asked the same question over and over with regard to your stance in pursuing a transfer QB and still haven't gotten a straight answer. I'm clearly aware that starting a young QB results in growing pains. So does having a new coaching staff. 1st year transfer QB will result in growing pains too - CHF stated that 1st year transfer QBs aren't overly successful and pointed out specific examples. So again, what transfer is/was legitimately available to AU that raises the floor?

3 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Brother, I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand your point of view. There's no ill will, I'm just having a conversation. I have asked the same question over and over with regard to your stance in pursuing a transfer QB and still haven't gotten a straight answer. I'm clearly aware that starting a young QB results in growing pains. So does having a new coaching staff. 1st year transfer QB will result in growing pains too - CHF stated that 1st year transfer QBs aren't overly successful and pointed out specific examples. So again, what transfer is/was legitimately available to AU that raises the floor?

Whatever Qb was in the portal was available.  AU chose not to pursue any or invest in any. 

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Whatever Qb was in the portal was available.  AU chose not to pursue any or invest in any. 

I am hoping for hank brown to please make major strides. I don't think I can stomach another season of PT. Nice young man, but he is who he is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I don’t see us contending next year, I don’t think CHF does either. But he’s reading the room correctly...our fans won’t settle for taking lumps with a freshman QB.. 

So he thinks he can squeeze out a couple of more wins with Thorne..

I think CHF would rather go with grooming the QBs he’s signed. The fans won’t have the patience.. So here we are 

Most of us aren't asking for contention yet, just some improvement (see sig).

Edited by AUwent

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

So your stance is that literally any portal QB would have elevated the QB room, but it wouldn't be a gamble?