The QB Situation

RunInRed

Let’s discuss …

Question 1: Does Auburn have a QB on the roster who can make us competitive in the remaining games (Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, Ark, NMST, Bama)?

Question 2: Who gives us the best chance to win now (Thorne, Ashford, Geriner)?

Question 3: If there’s not a QB on the roster to compete this year, are all bets being placed on an incoming QB (HS recruit or portal) for year 2 of the Freeze era?

Thoughts?

IMG_0932.jpeg

My question is, why haven't we seen more Geriner? Is he THAT bad? Not sure that's possible.

I'm trying to trust the coaches. But Freeze isn't making it easy. His constant disparaging of his own team isn't helping.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Question 1: Does Auburn have a QB on the roster who can make us competitive in the remaining games (Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, Ark, NMST, Bama)?

My question is could a Tom Brady at his best help? Lots of other flaws. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I think it’s time to go with RA full time. The ceiling for this team is 6-7 wins and a bowl for some extra practices. RA can get us there. The team responds well with him in the game and has an extra energy. PT was a good Big 10 QB but there are too many challenges with this team and a new staff. Not being here for spring was detrimental for him. 

Halfway through the season is plenty of time for Hugh to have made a decision. Plant a flag with one guy and let’s go!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Question 3: If there’s not a QB on the roster to compete this year, are all bets being placed on an incoming QB (HS recruit or portal) for year 2 of the Freeze era?

Per Christian Clemente of AU 247, if Thorne or Robbie don't improve dramatically by the end of the year we will be QB shopping in the portal again. He says the staff doesn't want to throw Walker White in the fire as a true freshman.

• Like 2

Thorne,  I just don't know. He was brought in to do something that isn't working and the air looks about out of his sails. 

Ashford, I mean, he can run option and throw the ball down the field...basically, what we saw last night. It might give us a better shot in some of the toss-ups on the schedule (Vandy, Arkansas, MSU) but I don't think it does anything substantial toward getting us where we want to be. 

Geriner, I suspect you'll see similar problems that we're seeing with Thorne. 

Our receivers are bad, bad, bad. We're trying to do things we obviously aren't able to yet do and the level of effort is baffling. Couple that with Freeze poor mouthing the team, and it's just a bad mess. Freeze has his work cut out for him. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

This attitude and speak gets so old. 

Thank you! Teams all over the country play true freshman now, including QBs. These kids are signing up to be SEC athletes. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Thank you! Teams all over the country play true freshman now, including QBs. These kids are signing up to be SEC athletes. 

Thank you. I can only take “throwing to fire” as meaning we do not have a supporting cast.

• Like 1

No

Question 2: Who gives us the best chance to win now (Thorne, Ashford, Geriner)?

They all give us an equally bad chance in their own unique way

Have to, but answer me this:

You're a Sr Transfer with 1 year before hopping to the NFL or limited time.  Would you choose this???

• Team lacking OL talent and returning only 1/5 starters. (Britton, Stutts, Young out of eligibility. Wade looking to get drafted)
  • Team took 4 WRs in the portal and leading receiver had like 250 yards.  All busts
  • Team has limited promising WRs on the roster. Maybe some hype TrFr, but you really going to count on them?
  • Team took a 6000k passer and he threw for 1200 yards starting 12 games
  • Team was the league and possibly the nations worst passing team by a wide margin.
  • Team possibly had multiple returning QBs.  Can Thorne even transfer again?
  • Team went 5-7 or 6-6
  • Coach in year 2 of a solid historical program that appears to be trending very badly

That's going to be a really really really really really really hard sell to make.  Better not go out there and complain about "didn't want to pay xyz dollars so he went to kentucky" excuses

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Per Christian Clemente of AU 247, if Thorne or Robbie don't improve dramatically by the end of the year we will be QB shopping in the portal again. He says the staff doesn't want to throw Walker White in the fire as a true freshman.

Robbie has only made one questionable play all season which was the Cal game. As a fan it’s hard to see what he needs to improve on. He played very well yesterday and had the biggest completion of the game.  Hindsight is 20/20 but after missing on the top QB guys probably  would have been better to work with RA and HG more. HB could have been QB3.  More then likely will Need to hit the portal again for a QB.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thank you. I can only take “throwing to fire” as meaning we do not have a supporting cast.

It was said a lot before the UGA game when some people were calling for HG. Didn’t want to throw him “into the fire”. If an SEC qb wants to be great he’s going to have to take some lumps at some point. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Who?  Name the successful TrFreshman players that were ranked between 150-200 overall?  Then count the other dozen that didn't play.

A successful TrFr QB is absurdly rare.  I like White, but he doesn't come off as a Day 1 starter.  He's not Trevor Lawrence 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

His constant disparaging of his own team isn't helping.

I wish I understood this. It's so odd that he doesn't realize how much bad juju will flow from this level of 'transparency'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Robbie has only made one questionable play all season which was the Cal game. As a fan it’s hard to see what he needs to improve on. He played very well yesterday and had the biggest completion of the game.  Hindsight is 20/20 but after missing on the top QB guys probably  would have been better to work with RA and HG more. HB could have been QB3. 

He's also intentionally not being asked to do a lot.  He's only thrown 20 passes and still can't complete them consistently.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's also intentionally not being asked to do a lot.  He's only thrown 20 passes and still can't complete them consistently.

What do mean consistently he is hitting the guys . It’s either drops or he throws them away in which QB1 doesn’t to keep from losing yards . He only had that one questionable pass in the Cal game

Edited by e808

To answer all three of questions, I honestly don’t know.    I think the problem is way beyond just QB.   Everything about this offense is dumbfounded; play calling, player utilization, players potential.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, e808 said:

What do mean consistently he is hitting the guys . It’s either drops or he throws them away in which QB1 doesn’t to keep from losing yards . He only had that one questionable pass in the Cal game

50% of his passes aren't dropped.  That's ridiculous 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

50% of his passes aren't dropped.  That's ridiculous 

Are u even watching the games . How many bad passes has Robby thrown . He has thrown multiple passes away to save yards . PT doesn’t do that. If u have 20 passes a few throw aways and some drops of course ur percentage going to be low. For example yesterday he completed all of his passes but threw one away to stay in FG range.  

On the flip side QB1 doesn’t throw away the ball and takes the sack . Takes the team out of scoring range but keeps the high percentage 

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Who?  Name the successful TrFreshman players that were ranked between 150-200 overall?  Then count the other dozen that didn't play.

A successful TrFr QB is absurdly rare.  I like White, but he doesn't come off as a Day 1 starter.  He's not Trevor Lawrence 

Context. I’m not advocating White as a true freshman starter. He may never take a snap at AU, much less start as a freshman. I’m addressing the coaching ‘mindset’ that starting a true freshman is throwing them to the fire and somehow a recipe for disaster. Every circumstance is different and in 2023 it happens a lot. 

Edited by Gowebb11

11 minutes ago, e808 said:

Are u even watching the games . How many bad passes has Robby thrown . He has thrown multiple passes away to save yards . PT doesn’t do that. If u have 20 passes a few throw aways and some drops of course ur percentage going to be low. For example yesterday he completed all of his passes but threw one away to stay in FG range.  

On the flip side QB1 doesn’t throw away the ball and takes the sack . Takes the team out of scoring range but keeps the high percentage 

There's no way to excuse a 50% completion rate.  He's thrown plenty of bad passes when he had the chance to throw more than 1 pass a quarter

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Context. I’m not advocating White as a true freshman starter. He may never take a snap at AU, much less start as a freshman. I’m addressing the coaching ‘mindset’ that starting a true freshman is throwing them to the fire and somehow a recipe for disaster. Every circumstance is different and in 2023 it happens a lot. 

Who are these TrFr QBs where it is "happening a lot"?

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

There's no way to excuse a 50% completion rate.  He's thrown plenty of bad passes when he had the chance to throw more than 1 pass a quarter

If he only has 20 attempts some throw aways and a few drops of course his percentage going to be low. QB1 is barely at 60% and he doesn’t even throw the ball away. Prior to yesterday he was the only Qb that hasn’t done so. I don’t even think it happened yesterday. So guess what had he done so his percentage would be in the 50s . It’s clear the offense rallied more around one qb than the other. 

Evidence of Robby Ashford's dropped by passes by the WRs.

Bonus...stay for a play later and watch him bail on a pocked for absolutely no reason no not come close to picking up a 1st down.  PLAY THIS MAN