The QB Situation

RunInRed

We should be going to the portal regardless. 

The short answer is no , but I would rather play with a QB who gives 110% every play. Let’s start there. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Evidence of Robby Ashford's dropped by passes by the WRs.

Bonus...stay for a play later and watch him bail on a pocked for absolutely no reason no not come close to picking up a 1st down.  PLAY THIS MAN

Ok now show PT balling up before the rush gets there or not throwing the ball away to save field position or throwing an easy TD not even in the receivers area code. Like I said the O plays different between the two QBs. ✌🏿

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

Question 4 - Can Hugh admit he was wrong or is he going to be visor stubborn?

At this point, don’t you have to at least try RA with meaningful snaps and a scheme playing to his strengths for the sake of keeping the locker room. Also, more carries for Cobb. 

• Like 3

I want to see us have a good QB that can throw.....I feel like I've been waiting for 15 years.....the audacity of this fanbase to criticize cam and Marshall passing ability as if we've had a plethora of QB savants at throwing the ball at this school.

I just want a good QB that I can brag on.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, e808 said:

Ok now show PT balling up before the rush gets there or not throwing the ball away to save field position or throwing an easy TD not even in the receivers area code. Like I said the O plays different between the two QBs. ✌🏿

They both sucks. I've already said this. 

We've seen a prolonged Robby Ashford top out at 42%.  He's at 50% now being asked to do extremely limited things.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I want to see us have a good QB that can throw.....I feel like I've been waiting for 15 years.....the audacity of this fanbase to criticize cam and Marshall passing ability as if we've had a plethora of QB savants at throwing the ball at this school.

I just want a good QB that I can brag on.

Maybe we'll get one in the portal....but idk if we even have enough around them to make them brag-able. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly it doesn't matter which QB we use. We should turn into a Georgia Tech triple option with 300+ yards running a game. The QB should be running once every three downs. Change to the mentality of getting 3-4 yards a play (running) with short screens to get past the blitz and win the time of possession. The receivers can't get separation so not sure we should throw HG in because PT and RA can handle short passes to Cobb. Every team we play will load the line so use the backs like we did in '04....Caddy and RB had pretty good catching stats if I remember. I believe that until we have 3-4 WRs who can compete against SEC corners it really won't matter who we have as QB. The D is a matter of depth. The injuries to key personnel shows how thin we are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

They both sucks. I've already said this. 

We've seen a prolonged Robby Ashford top out at 42%.  He's at 50% now being asked to do extremely limited things.

The point I am trying to make is everything isnt what it seems . He has only thrown 22 passes to PT 117 . He completed all three passes but was only at 75%. He could have taken a sack and had a 100% completion rate but threw it away so the team could get points out of the drive. He has zero turnovers. Give him the full reign . If he screws up then move to HG.  It’s almost like self sabotage soon as a drive gets going then the QBs are switched 

Edited by e808
  • Thanks 1

Just now, einatlanta said:

Honestly it doesn't matter which QB we use.

1 minute ago, einatlanta said:

I believe that until we have 3-4 WRs who can compete against SEC corners it really won't matter who we have as QB.

^^^^^^^^^ Both of these x a billion ^^^^^^^^^

• Like 3

1 minute ago, e808 said:

It’s almost like self sabotage soon as a drive gets going then the QBs are switched

🔥 🔥  🔥  absolutely correct…this is the most baffling thing to me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Who?  Name the successful TrFreshman players that were ranked between 150-200 overall?  Then count the other dozen that didn't play.

A successful TrFr QB is absurdly rare.  I like White, but he doesn't come off as a Day 1 starter.  He's not Trevor Lawrence 

Nix started as a true freshman. I don’t know much about White, but there has got to be someone out there that can throw a damn football

PT and RA aren’t the answer at QB. Holden hasn’t played enough to rule him out completely. Don’t be scared to make a QB change, there is no way it can get much worse.

Edited by sevenlee36
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Who are these TrFr QBs where it is "happening a lot"?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23396659/the-rise-true-freshman-qb

Bo Nix, Jayden Daniels, Jaden Rashada, Dante Moore, Jake From, Jacob Eason, Michael Pratt, Trevor Lawrence are a few examples, and yes, they were all highly rated out of high school. Some are recent past, others are currently still freshman. Some kept their job, others lost it. Some are generational talents like Lawrence, others not, and others remains to be seen. The article highlights others and is from 2018. It was, according to the article, a rising trend then. I’ve seen no evidence to say the trend is reversing, and no evidence that them being ‘thrown into the fire’ permanently damaged them. 

One more time: White may be ready to start next year, or may never start, or ever take a meaningful snap at AU. But the trend is factual. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

What if anything has Hugh said on this?  Has any reporter had the guts to point blank ask him what the devil he and Montgomery are thinking when they continually do this QB carousel?  What advantages do we gain, what is the benefit?

To me the ole miss game is a lost cause with pt. They’ll score over 30 at least and were at a 20pt wall. Unleash RA for one game,  rpo and run with a little chaos, and try to control the clock. At least it’ll be different and we’ll know.  If it’s a mess, go back to pt and try to grind out 3 more wins with requisite prayer.

Edited by auburnatl1

26 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23396659/the-rise-true-freshman-qb

Bo Nix, Jayden Daniels, Jaden Rashada, Dante Moore, Jake From, Jacob Eason, Michael Pratt, Trevor Lawrence are a few examples, and yes, they were all highly rated out of high school. Some are recent past, others are currently still freshman. Some kept their job, others lost it. Some are generational talents like Lawrence, others not, and others remains to be seen. The article highlights others and is from 2018. It was, according to the article, a rising trend then. I’ve seen no evidence to say the trend is reversing, and no evidence that them being ‘thrown into the fire’ permanently damaged them. 

One more time: White may be ready to start next year, or may never start, or ever take a meaningful snap at AU. But the trend is factual. 

Many of those guys listed weren't even successful tho. Dante Moore is completing like 40% of his passes this year. 

So half of that last of mostly 5* top kids and half were okay. Half bad. White ranked 125 spots behind them probably has a 1% chance of being a quality contributor as a TrFr

My question regarding the OP is, does Auburn have a QB who can be coached up, and given some studly receivers, and given an OL worth a shite, who can become an SEC starter?

IMO, Nope!

Can CHF and staff find a QB, an OL, and some receivers to make Auburn competitive in the SEC?

Um ..... doubtful.

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

You're a Sr Transfer with 1 year before hopping to the NFL or limited time.  Would you choose this???

• Team lacking OL talent and returning only 1/5 starters. (Britton, Stutts, Young out of eligibility. Wade looking to get drafted)
  • Team took 4 WRs in the portal and leading receiver had like 250 yards.  All busts
  • Team has limited promising WRs on the roster. Maybe some hype TrFr, but you really going to count on them?
  • Team took a 6000k passer and he threw for 1200 yards starting 12 games
  • Team was the league and possibly the nations worst passing team by a wide margin.
  • Team possibly had multiple returning QBs.  Can Thorne even transfer again?
  • Team went 5-7 or 6-6
  • Coach in year 2 of a solid historical program that appears to be trending very badly

That's going to be a really really really really really really hard sell to make.  Better not go out there and complain about "didn't want to pay xyz dollars so he went to kentucky" excuses

Sir, this sounds like easy playing time to me and likely several young men out there right now. 

However you are right. Until we get/develop a seriously good OL, this is just moot. 

1 hour ago, einatlanta said:

Honestly it doesn't matter which QB we use. We should turn into a Georgia Tech triple option with 300+ yards running a game. The QB should be running once every three downs. Change to the mentality of getting 3-4 yards a play (running) with short screens to get past the blitz and win the time of possession. The receivers can't get separation so not sure we should throw HG in because PT and RA can handle short passes to Cobb. Every team we play will load the line so use the backs like we did in '04....Caddy and RB had pretty good catching stats if I remember. I believe that until we have 3-4 WRs who can compete against SEC corners it really won't matter who we have as QB. The D is a matter of depth. The injuries to key personnel shows how thin we are.

Do that and we will never sign a decent WR nor Throwing QB for years. The Wishbone is a blackhole O.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Do that and we will never sign a decent WR nor Throwing QB for years. The Wishbone is a blackhole O.

So we should continue to throw to receivers that can't get any separation? We use our strengths and sell the opportunity to WR recruits that we can change the entire offense because of them. I would agree with your point if we had been running that type of offense for a few years but staying with a passing offense for this group may lead to an even worse season.

4 hours ago, aubaseball said:

To answer all three of questions, I honestly don’t know.    I think the problem is way beyond just QB.   Everything about this offense is dumbfounded; play calling, player utilization, players potential.   

WR is still to me the biggest problem. Easily the worst position group on the team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, einatlanta said:

I’m throwing out my damn tv of the window if we were to become a Paul Johnson wet dream….

IMG_5423.gif

IMG_5436.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

PT and RA aren’t the answer at QB. Holden hasn’t played enough to rule him out completely. Don’t be scared to make a QB change, there is no way it can get much worse.

This. If there ever was a time to finally just give Holdy a chance it’s 2 straight home games Vs the Mississippi schools. The gauntlet of our schedule is over! There is absolutely nothing to lose! Certainly not the games because we would lose them anyway certainly with 1 and 9. 

IMG_1654.gif

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, einatlanta said:

So we should continue to throw to receivers that can't get any separation? We use our strengths and sell the opportunity to WR recruits that we can change the entire offense because of them. I would agree with your point if we had been running that type of offense for a few years but staying with a passing offense for this group may lead to an even worse season.

You cannot win in big boy football in todays game being one dimensional. Plus it’s boring not exciting and would induce groans from a lot of fans. We most likely will beat vandy (though it being on the road is not ideal) and New Mexico State with whatever clusterf*ck offense we trot out there. Please tell me the games where a triple option offense would benefit us in and that we would actually win?