Vandy post game thread

TitanTiger

12 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Agree! It’s like we’re coming off of two or three years of probation with huge scholarship limitations, with a completely new coaching staff and we’re already headed to a bowl game.  

Cheer up folks, we are improving!

This! We have had a disastrous run for several years- from Gus’ refusal to recruit linemen or a QB that fit his system to Harsin’s refusal to recruit, well anybody, we are like a program who was given a penalty just short of death. 

I’ve said this before, but, when Freeze was hired, we talked all offseason about how long it will take him to right the ship, how bare the cupboard was. The general consensus was that we wanted to see us play competitively, and we have. Georgia barely escaped with a win. I’ll take that over the 30 point losses they hung on Gus.

I think that, when we see the orange and blue uniforms on Saturday, the AU helmets, we expect them to play like our past teams, ie, like our historical top 15 status. We forget that our roster is basically a 1-AA one, thanks to past recruiting failures. Our nostalgia overrides our reality. 

I am cool with where we are. We have improved since the QB carousel stopped. I like our chances against Arky, NM St, and I think we take Bama to the wire. Unlike the Gus years, I think we’ll also win a bowl game. Get a good recruiting class, and we’re off. 

We’re on the path to a return to form. It’s just gonna take some time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Off topic slightly but did anyone notice the guys on defense were not wearing the same shoes. Usually everybody is wearing the same color cleats but yesterday, at least on defense, that was not the case. Not sure about the O but I thought that was interesting

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Off topic slightly but did anyone notice the guys on defense were not wearing the same shoes. Usually everybody is wearing the same color cleats but yesterday, at least on defense, that was not the case. Not sure about the O but I thought that was interesting

You think it had to do with the possible apparel change coming up? Maybe they were trying alternative brands ?? 

• Haha 1

I'll have to say that as mad as I was at Thorne's stupid Pick-6, he didn't let it rattle him. He settled down and played pretty well afterwards. That says something. A lot of QB's would have checked out after that and all of the dropped passes. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

I noticed that as well and it did not set well with me. While Freeze may be accurate in his criticism it seems best to keep that off the record 

There should have been some consideration on who called that play as well.  

4 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

You think it had to do with the possible apparel change coming up? Maybe they were trying alternative brands ?? 

I would surmise they would do tryouts in practice.  A game is not the time to figure out if a particular shoe works for how you play.  

3 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

I noticed that as well and it did not set well with me. While Freeze may be accurate in his criticism it seems best to keep that off the record 

CHF has put Thorne on the spot publicly.  And Thorne has responded.  I think CHF “may” have found the right tone with him.  
Next up is the tone that will cause the receivers to not drop passes.  If those clearly catchable 5 passes are caught, the entire game is different.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dwayne Pride said:

I would surmise they would do tryouts in practice.  A game is not the time to figure out if a particular shoe works for how you play.  

Shoes may be the least of the worries lol. Give ‘em Velcro ponies lol

• Like 1

The muffed punt rumble recovery that was overturned (incorrectly) flipped the field for Vandy early in the game. I feel Like if we had gotten the ball there we could’ve put a dagger in them early. Changed the flow of the game significantly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Overall game was decent . The line has been fine for the most part the reason the runs don’t work more often than not is because the reads are wrong. U can clearly see on TV what should have been keepers. Watching other teams not many QBs have a long time to throw most have to make quick decisions. Not sure about the fire the receivers Coach as well. The receivers just flat out dropped the ball. Anyways unto Arky just my two cents.

13 minutes ago, e808 said:

Overall game was decent . The line has been fine for the most part the reason the runs don’t work more often than not is because the reads are wrong. U can clearly see on TV what should have been keepers. Watching other teams not many QBs have a long time to throw most have to make quick decisions. Not sure about the fire the receivers Coach as well. The receivers just flat out dropped the ball. Anyways unto Arky just my two cents.

If there is one guarantee we know about AU fans??? It’s that no fanbase is more obsessed with the employment status of the WR coach than ours….  It’s soooooooo old!!! This has been a problem for several years at AU with bad wr play. This is not exclusive to Marcus Davis. Lawwwwwwwd almighty!

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

CHF has put Thorne on the spot publicly.  And Thorne has responded.  I think CHF “may” have found the right tone with him.  
Next up is the tone that will cause the receivers to not drop passes.  If those clearly catchable 5 passes are caught, the entire game is different.

Publicly shaming individuals towards behavior modification is probably the weakest form of leadership there is 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Publicly shaming individuals towards behavior modification is probably the weakest form of leadership there is 

I don’t disagree at all.  It’s not my leadership style either.  I’m a praise in public and discuss in private guy.  I couldn’t imagine having to lead a college football team and all the different personalities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

The pick 6 was a hidden player, IMO.  The defender in black blended in perfectly with the shadow.  Bad play, inexcusable... But I can see a slight mitigation.  

As you said, knowing your players personalities is paramount in coaching. No player is the same or responds the same. A good coach differentiates their approach. It's also one of the most difficult jobs when you have so little time to build that rapport. 

To me, I think PT needs the tough love approach. He seems to be responding well the last two weeks.  

Tough love may be fine in private with many players. Since all players respond differently, like you say, being that harsh in public sends a message to future recruits who might cringe when hearing it. After hearing that, I’d be inclined to send my son to play for someone else— whom I would hope would be tough on him— in private.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

If not for the Kelly drop, the awful kick catch interference call and at least one of Hunter’s TDs called back on weak penalties, it could have been 45-15 or even 52-15. 

Feeling much better about this offense. We still have our lulls and the drops and penalties are agonizing. But it’s obvious improvement.

If the WRs start catching with the same hands they eat with I think Auburn will be pretty sporty down the stretch

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If there is one guarantee we know about AU fans??? It’s that no fanbase is more obsessed with the employment status of the WR coach than ours….  It’s soooooooo old!!! This has been a problem for several years at AU with bad wr play. This is not exclusive to Marcus Davis. Lawwwwwwwd almighty!

Now is the time to be bold. The solution is obvious. While he played in the secondary in college and the pros, he is uniquely qualified to help the receiving corps. It is time for Coach Lester Hayes and the stickum revival. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7a672a39c29fccbaa02791aeb5faab42.jpeg

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Tough love may be fine in private with many players. Since all players respond differently, like you say, being that harsh in public sends a message to future recruits who might cringe when hearing it. After hearing that, I’d be inclined to send my son to play for someone else— whom I would hope would be tough on him— in private.

It seems the recruits aren't getting the same feelings you are.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It seems the recruits aren't getting the same feelings you are.

Some are some aren’t. What makes you think you know what the recruits looking elsewhere are thinking? And this did just happen yesterday. You know we recruit every year, right?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Some are some aren’t. What makes you think you know what the recruits looking elsewhere are thinking? And this did just happen yesterday. You know we recruit every year, right?

You're trying really too hard and it's showing.  Definitely not worth my time. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You're trying really too hard and it's showing.  Definitely not worth my time. 

Don’t have to try to state the obvious. Not sure why you’re so defensive.

2 hours ago, placekicker said:

This! We have had a disastrous run for several years- from Gus’ refusal to recruit linemen or a QB that fit his system to Harsin’s refusal to recruit, well anybody, we are like a program who was given a penalty just short of death. 

I’ve said this before, but, when Freeze was hired, we talked all offseason about how long it will take him to right the ship, how bare the cupboard was. The general consensus was that we wanted to see us play competitively, and we have. Georgia barely escaped with a win. I’ll take that over the 30 point losses they hung on Gus.

I think that, when we see the orange and blue uniforms on Saturday, the AU helmets, we expect them to play like our past teams, ie, like our historical top 15 status. We forget that our roster is basically a 1-AA one, thanks to past recruiting failures. Our nostalgia overrides our reality. 

I am cool with where we are. We have improved since the QB carousel stopped. I like our chances against Arky, NM St, and I think we take Bama to the wire. Unlike the Gus years, I think we’ll also win a bowl game. Get a good recruiting class, and we’re off. 

We’re on the path to a return to form. It’s just gonna take some time. 

This was going to be the year in which the chickens of Potato Man's laziness (and ok, Gus too) really came home to roost. Had he somehow been given a third year (or without Freeze's efforts in the TP), four wins would've been our absolute ceiling.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

People have to be managed differently because everyone responds differently to criticism. Like you said, perhaps this is the only way Freeze can get through to him to get him to improve his performance. 

The simple solution of not getting chewed out in public is do what needs to be done. Saban does it all the time. When they play on CBS Gary Danielson makes it a point to mention a butt chewing is coming . Him chewing people out in public  doesn’t seem to stop the recruiting from coming

Edited by e808
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1