Women at Rutgers 11/12

tigeraddikt

Road test at Rutgers. Playing at Jersey Mike’s Arena in Piscataway. One of my favorite sub chains. Women were down 17-6 out the gate but a completely dominant 27-5 second quarter by the Lady Tigers turned the game. Up 61-47 with six minutes to go in the game. Barring a complete collapse, the ladies should go to 3-0. Any true road win by our ladies should be considered impressive imo.

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Like 7

Final 76-56. Great showing by the ladies. Coach Harris may have a lineup to close-out more than just a few conference wins this season. Owned the paint, forced so many turnovers, and just played confident, disruptive ball from the late first quarter on, very proud of these ladies. Don’t know how good Rutgers women will end up being when it’s all said and done, but this was a really solid win. War Eagle!!

• Like 3

What made this win poetically sweet was that it was in very small part payback for the 2009 screwjob that the NCAA gave to the 2008-2009 women who were forced to play their 2nd round NCAAT game on Rutgers’ home court. The women should have been a 1-seed, but at 29-3 were given a 2-seed and sent to Piscataway, where a 19-10 Rutgers team coached by legend Vivian Stringer awaited in the round of 32. That season, HC Nell Fortner and the Future WNBA Hall of Famer DeWanna Bonner-led Lady Tigers won a regular season SEC title, only to be rewarded with a 2-seed and “pod” selection to NJ. What a joke. Still makes me fume thinking about it.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Scott is an overbearing presence around the rim - if anyone gets a chance to go to a WBB game, just watch how she operates in the paint on O

I was completely ignorant. When I saw Big Sav run out of the tunnel and onto the floor with her teammates before tipoff, I was like "Oh, crap that girl is tall and thick. Another Keke Carrier. Massive size and zero athletic ability." But dang I was wrong. She has good hands and a real spatial awareness. Good touch on put-backs, and enough athleticism/hops/strength to bring down more than her fair share of contested rebounds. And one would think that she should improve as her career at AU unfolds.

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I was completely ignorant. When I saw Big Sav run out of the tunnel and onto the floor with her teammates before tipoff, I was like "Oh, crap that girl is tall and thick. Another Keke Carrier. Massive size and zero athletic ability." But dang I was wrong. She has good hands and a real spatial awareness. Good touch on put-backs, and enough athleticism/hops/strength to bring down more than her fair share of contested rebounds. And one would think that she should improve as her career at AU unfolds.

I would say they honestly improved in roster construction, even with how many talented gals left last year. There may be less “that person really has some skills”, but they physically match what you expect a top women’s team to look like now, imo. 

I’ve watched I believe two games in person so far, and in both, I’ve remarked about the wingspan, the ground covered, the size of several players. There were quite a few teams before this one I never had that thought about 

• Like 1