Men vs Notre Dame Game Thread

Maverick.AU

Good win. Still need the big guys to have stronger hands. But we had five guys in double figures. We had both point guards dishing it and shooting it.

Get a few other guys hot at the same time and this will be a fun team to watch fight.

• Like 3

Just now, CCTAU said:

Good win. Still need the big guys to have stronger hands. But we had five guys in double figures. We had both point guards dishing it and shooting it.

Get a few other guys hot at the same time and this will be a fun team to watch fight.

Stronger hands is the biggest weakness on this team imo, I said it against Baylor. It's gonna hurt us in some games 

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Anyone got any st bonaventure recon?

They’ve got that guard that went off on Kentucky and helped St. Peter’s to the elite 8 a couple years ago. 

• Like 2

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Stronger hands is the biggest weakness on this team imo 

I concur.  That and getting after those 50/50 balls. C-MO has been great about those in his career. These guys are fun though. And our sharpshooter transfer still hasn't found his stroke in the reg season yet.  When he does...whew.

• Like 1

Tre and Aden looked like they were the best players on the court.   Aden plays with so much confidence.  He missed one driving heavily contested layup and had a look on his face like "that always goes in." 

If this team can play like that second half consistently watch out. Tre and Aden both dominated that game. 80+ 3 straight to start the season. Basketball is soooo much funner when you make shots!

This was a really good team effort!

I'm still waiting for our magnificent, spectacular, awesome, 3-point shooter (you know who he is) to actually begin jacking some 3s. Because that was not tonight.

That said, great win. WDE Tigers!

7 hours ago, AURex said:

This was a really good team effort!

I'm still waiting for our magnificent, spectacular, awesome, 3-point shooter (you know who he is) to actually begin jacking some 3s. Because that was not tonight.

That said, great win. WDE Tigers!

Yes!  And I’ll gladly take Aden shooting 80% from behind the arc while we wait!

11 hours ago, gravejd said:

If this team can play like that second half consistently watch out. Tre and Aden both dominated that game. 80+ 3 straight to start the season. Basketball is soooo much funner when you make shots!

I'm excited about this year, but ND lacked length and was slow. We weren't sped up, and we could make easy passes. 

I saw flashes of what we could be by the end of the season.   A few stretches of well thought out and well executed plays,  athletic shots and ballhandling. I saw more passing,  all players in the position they need to be covering the correct guy on more plays than the first 2 games.  

I am exited.    Lots of potential.  final four could be possible if we continue to improve, the ball bounces our way a few times... and we reduce penalties.

Not to damper things, but Notre Dame is bad. Terrible roster, new coach/system just not a good team. We did have some moments of good ball movement and several guys that played well. The areas that I was looking for saw some different lineups, but again we struggled to close a half. The last few minutes of the first half were our worst of the game. The lineup CBP had on the floor at the time was Holloway, KD, Moore, Chaney, and Caldwell. That lineup is clearly not our closing lineup and I could go without ever seeing it again. CBP mixed up the lineups in the second half and it was tough to really make any conclusions as we just outclassed them so much from a roster standpoint. 

One thing I don't like is for players to go off against us. Even though we held them to 50's in total points, they had a kid come off the bench and put up 18pts and 11rebs. Both career highs I believe. At some point we need to make it a thing of pride not to let a kid go off even if we are way up. Rarely do elite defensive teams allows this kind of thing. We are not elite defensively, but if we want to be got to stop this. One other area we should have been better in this game is on the glass. No reason we were trailing in rebounds most of this game until late. 

Nice to run a bad team out of the gym, but plenty to clean up as we look to the next one.