NMSU Post mortem

TitanTiger

One thing that continues to frustrate me is that we NEVER have a receiver get wide open. I watch all these other teams and throughout the game they’ll have a receiver get wide open for a huge gainer or a touchdown. Why is it that we are never able to confuse the defense on coverage assignments and get a receiver open like that? Are our route trees that simple? Are our receivers that bad at running routes and/or improvising when a play breaks down?

Sorry for the rant, it just baffles/frustrates me. 

• Thanks 1

Hard to figure, other than the worst coaching job in Auburn history, at home or top 5, especially as far as motivation, play calling and a little Auburn pride. UMass beats New Mexico St this year , and we beat UMass pretty  good this year, but we let New Mexico St punk us in our home stadium.  So much for protecting our house. Geez, unbelievable.  

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

One thing that continues to frustrate me is that we NEVER have a receiver get wide open. I watch all these other teams and throughout the game they’ll have a receiver get wide open for a huge gainer or a touchdown. Why is it that we are never able to confuse the defense on coverage assignments and get a receiver open like that? Are our route trees that simple? Are our receivers that bad at running routes and/or improvising when a play breaks down?

That’s why it was absolutely nuts to me when someone suggested just throw it up to them. “The only thing that could happen was a catch or a flag”…really? That’s it?

• Like 1

Just now, PigskinPat said:

The route trees aren't simple.  We just don't have any studs at that position whatsoever.  It's one of the reasons the incoming WR class is so amazing looking (and may get even better soon) - they don't see anyone on this WR depth chart that they don't think they can take their job next year as a freshman.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, msza said:

Raise your hand if you had to remember who we were playing today and when you checked you immediately thought, "Oh nice, we're gonna be 7-4."

[Raises hand]

I anticipated no stress whatsoever with this game. Was looking forward to a fun, easy win. I'm still shell shocked. 

• Like 2

Just now, TitanTiger said:

The route trees aren't simple.  We just don't have any studs at that position whatsoever.  It's one of the reasons the incoming WR class is so amazing looking (and may get even better soon) - they don't see anyone on this WR depth chart that they don't think they can take their job next year as a freshman.

Can we keep our class intact though?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naildawg said:

The whole game, there were a whole lot of missed tackles and attempted arm tackles.

This irritates the everloving $h!+ out of me. If you get your hands on him, take him down! Our tackling is atrocious. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

There receivers sure were open so it’s not just about “talent.” I just want to see competent , hard nose football without the gimmicks. It’s been a while since I’ve seen that at Auburn. 

• Like 3

Just now, WarrrEagleHey said:

This irritates the everloving $h!+ out of me. If you get your hands on him, take him down! Our tackling is atrocious. 

Or DBs blitzing then literally stopping before they get to the QB. My gosh destroy him. 

• Angry 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

There receivers sure were open so it’s not just about “talent.” I just want to see competent , hard nose football without the gimmicks. It’s been a while since I’ve seen that at Auburn. 

I agree. Our receivers may not be world beaters, but are they so inept that they can’t be coached to run effective routes? I don’t understand, particularly like you said, when you watch teams with lesser talent can do it. 

I agree. Our receivers may not be world beaters, but are they so inept that they can’t be coached to run effective routes? I don’t understand, particularly like you said, when you watch teams with lesser talent can do it. 

Our guys also fall down all the time and never seem to know where the sticks are to get first downs...it's baffling. 

The only way this can even be somewhat atoned for/made up for is if this makes this staff/players/team so sick they beat Bama next week and get a top-5 incoming class and go on an absolute tear in the next 5-10 years. Likelihood is we just get embarrassed, we get back to being a top 15/top 25 team, and never do anything of substance while Bama fizzles and UGA keeps racking up nattys. 

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Can we keep our class intact though?

I don't see why not.  Kids at this level don't make emotional decisions based on one game, win or lose.  They can literally sign anywhere.  They're looking for opportunity, a chance at the league, competitive NIL, connections with the coaches, a style of play they like, and so on.  

If you're an elite player, you look at Auburn's roster and see opportunity to play early and make a difference.  And not the kind of difference you see at Vanderbilt or Miss State - which is to say, get them to 7 or 8 wins and a bowl game.  They know Freeze can win.  They know Auburn can win.  They know we have the resources.  And they know they can likely start or play significantly as a true freshman.  

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Or DBs blitzing then literally stopping before they get to the QB. My gosh destroy him. 

Honestly that's what you're often coached to do with a mobile QB.  Bottle him up rather than go for the kill shot (where you often miss and they now have wide open field behind you).

Sorry to burst yours and everyone else’s bubble, but it isn’t as simple as that.    1).  You have to be able to block.   2).  You need the threat of throwing deep or the threat of speed on the outside 3).  You need a solid running game to make the defense play close to the line of scrimmage 

now, ask yourself.  Does Auburn have any of those on a consistent basis?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Our guys also fall down all the time and never seem to know where the sticks are to get first downs...it's baffling. 

Yes! Their “receiver awareness” is beyond frustrating. These guys have played the position probably most of their football career. I know their competition continues to get harder, but how are they this inept and are they that “uncoachable” or are they not receiving (no pun intended) the best coaching and having their deficiencies as receivers worked on in practices?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Sorry to burst yours and everyone else’s bubble, but it isn’t as simple as that.    1).  You have to be able to block.   2).  You need the threat of throwing deep or the threat of speed on the outside 3).  You need a solid running game to make the defense play close to the line of scrimmage 

now, ask yourself.  Does Auburn have any of those on a consistent basis?  

I understand what you’re saying, and we need that. But not all the teams I watch have all those components either, yet they still manage to have a competent passing attack and their receivers are able to get separation at least a few times a game.

42 minutes ago, Butthead said:

I remember not being able to sleep the entire night after the FSU natty loss. But the next day I thought, damn we have been in 2 title games in 3 years. The future is bright. Hard to believe that after that night we have pretty much sucked for a whole fricking decade. 

I feel this post so deep that I want to cry and drink hard liquor.

27 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I’m far from a talent expert but Thompson, Williams, and Coleman would all get significant snaps in 2024 if not start by end of the year. 

• Like 2

The failure of the coaching staff to have the team prepared to kick the s*** out of the opponent at home needs to be a total warning sign, this was beyond embarrassing form tHe first quarter on.  We spend way too much money on coaches to have this type of prperation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

The only way this can even be somewhat atoned for/made up for is if this makes this staff/players/team so sick they beat Bama next week and get a top-5 incoming class and go on an absolute tear in the next 5-10 years. Likelihood is we just get embarrassed, we get back to being a top 15/top 25 team, and never do anything of substance while Bama fizzles and UGA keeps racking up nattys. 

You ARE an Auburn fan!!!

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Butthead said:

I remember not being able to sleep the entire night after the FSU natty loss. But the next day I thought, damn we have been in 2 title games in 3 years. The future is bright. Hard to believe that after that night we have pretty much sucked for a whole fricking decade. 

I would argue that 2015 aside we've only truly sucked since hte pandemic. If Hugh can get us to a 2016-19 level and keep us there (mind you I'm def less confident of that than I was yesterday), we're hunky dory.

Edited by AUwent

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s what I love. “We don’t have the talent yet….”

BS. Line up and beat the man in front of you. 

• Like 1