Playoff championship team selection question - Opinion wanted

bishoptf

Here is another question that was hoping folks would chime in with their opinion, here is the question in regards to playoffs and selection.

Should a team that looses its championship game be allowed into the playoff?

My main issue is I do not like seeing teams having to beat someone multiple times, if they beat someone in the championship but allowed to go and win all what does that say? I just dont think teams should get second chances, if they loose head to head in a championship game IMHO they should be done IMHO. The way it is now, you can have a team lose but then make it into the playoffs and then end up playing the same team in the playoffs and lose. I know the better team should win but still having to beat a good team multiple times is not easy IMHO and this isn't a best out of three kind of thing.

Just was wondering if it was just me that hated to see the same to teams play over, like the team that got beat gets a mulligan, smdh.

Edited by bishoptf

• bishoptf changed the title to Playoff championship team selection question - Opinion wanted

I would like to see the best teams in the playoffs, even if two of them just played each other in their conference championship.

This year, Alabama and Georgia are two of the best four teams, and both should have been included in the CFP.

What I don't want to see is automatic bids for winning a conference championship.  No Way Liberty at #18 should be in a 12-team CFP.  No way, even though they won their conference.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

I would like to see the best teams in the playoffs, even if two of them just played each other in their conference championship.

This year, Alabama and Georgia are two of the best four teams, and both should have been included in the CFP.

What I don't want to see is automatic bids for winning a conference championship.  No Way Liberty at #18 should be in a 12-team CFP.  No way, even though they won their conference.

I think conference champiponship games should mean something otherwise why play them. In this case bama beat uga, why should they get to play again, maybe they win and maybe they don't but, why should winning the next time they played be more important than the first time. I just struggle with teams getting second chances to win, just my opinion, win or go home is my choice...

1 hour ago, bishoptf said:

My main issue is I do not like seeing teams having to beat someone multiple times....

Just wait. At some point, probably not many years from now, two teams will meet in the regular season, then their conference Championship....and then in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

I think conference champiponship games should mean something otherwise why play them. In this case bama beat uga, why should they get to play again, maybe they win and maybe they don't but, why should winning the next time they played be more important than the first time. I just struggle with teams getting second chances to win, just my opinion, win or go home is my choice...

I think conference championships mean a lot.  But the loser of a particular conference championship game may still be one of the best X entrants into the CFP.  And if so, they should be selected, in my opinion.

College basketball is that way.  Many losers of conference championship games still wind up in the field of 64.

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 1

The 12 team playoff will solve a lot of these problems and, of course, create even more.

Conference Championships should mean something and there should be a seating process to put the Liberty’s in a position to compete, but at the right level similar to what they do in BBall.

If you want a bright side of this, it would be the perfect time for Saban to retire as Bama will not be as dominiate of a program going forward.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

I think conference championships mean a lot.  But the loser of a particular conference championship game may still be one of the best X entrants into the CFP.  And if so, they should be selected, in my opinion.

College basketball is that way.  Many losers of conference championship games still wind up in the field of 64.

I guess for me i would make the conference championships the first round of playoffs, and add a couple wild cards etc..otherwise then just take the top 2 teams from the conferences and start the playoff minus the championship game. Make the games mean something or don't have them, get tired of people guessing which conference is better than the other, take top 2 from each one and let em have at it. People become prognosticators as to who they think is better etc, top2, top3 whatever you want to do, then go that route seed the teams. They want to keep the chapionship games since its another money maker, if so then make that round 1. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bishoptf said:

Here is another question that was hoping folks would chime in with their opinion, here is the question in regards to playoffs and selection.

Should a team that looses its championship game be allowed into the playoff?

My main issue is I do not like seeing teams having to beat someone multiple times, if they beat someone in the championship but allowed to go and win all what does that say? I just dont think teams should get second chances, if they loose head to head in a championship game IMHO they should be done IMHO. The way it is now, you can have a team lose but then make it into the playoffs and then end up playing the same team in the playoffs and lose. I know the better team should win but still having to beat a good team multiple times is not easy IMHO and this isn't a best out of three kind of thing.

Just was wondering if it was just me that hated to see the same to teams play over, like the team that got beat gets a mulligan, smdh.

IMO, top 12 teams should get in, regardless of who they have played or not played. In your scenario teams that play less games get in rather than a team that has played and lost an extra game.

15 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

I guess for me i would make the conference championships the first round of playoffs, and add a couple wild cards etc..

Isn't that the way it is supposed to work? The first six teams in are the highest-ranked conference champs and the next 6 are the remaining highest-ranked teams. The top 4 teams will get a bye in the first round. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nurbis said:

Isn't that the way it is supposed to work? The first six teams in are the highest-ranked conference champs and the next 6 are the remaining highest-ranked teams. The top 4 teams will get a bye in the first round. 

But sounds like some of the losing teams will make it into the playoff, so again losing in the championship game doesn't mean a whole lot. You get a bye, but then could end up playing the same team you already beat. I guess its just me, not sure why winning the game the second time means more than when you lost it the first time...

Always thought conference championship games do nothing but hurt you. Prime example: Auburn 2017. Playoff bound, beat UGA and Bama when they were #1. Pointless conference championship game against UGA (we already beaten) and lose and our reward watching UGA vs Bama play for it all.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, clwn said:

Always thought conference championship games do nothing but hurt you. Prime example: Auburn 2017. Playoff bound, beat UGA and Bama when they were #1. Pointless conference championship game against UGA (we already beaten) and lose and our reward watching UGA vs Bama play for it all.

Great Point! I have always been a proponent for a 16 team playoff like the rest of the college football divisions. The rest of the teams that don't make the final 16 can play in 10 or 15 bowl games to get their tv money.

19 hours ago, WillMunny said:

I can't wait until college-football expands the playoffs to 64 teams. Glorious.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I think the conference championship games are going to die off next year. That's the solution. 

I doubt that since there is a lot of money to be made there, I would be ok with that but with all the $$$ I doubt that will happen.

7 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

I can't wait until college-football expands the playoffs to 64 teams. Glorious.

My point was that losing a conference championship game should not necessarily disqualify a team from the CFP.  No more than winning such a game should necessarily qualify a team.  The best teams should be selected.

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

The best teams should be selected.

By whom?  That’s the way is was done when the talking heads and beat writers picked the national champion.

Conference Champions and at large picked by computer/nerds without being too subjective.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

By whom?  That’s the way is was done when the talking heads and beat writers picked the national champion.

Conference Champions and at large picked by computer/nerds without being too subjective.

I guess I'm talking philosophy, not implementation.  I want to see the best teams in the CFP, but have no idea how they should be selected, nor what the criteria should be.  Any system would probably be flawed.

The thing I most do not want to see is automatic selections for conference champions, because I can see scenarios where the #25 team might wind up in the field of 12.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

True,  but automatic bids for the champions may be the only way to get agreement from TPTB

Yes, I think conference champions will wind up receiving an automatic bid.  And then we'll eventually see the #25 team (or worse) get in over the #12 team (or better), and end up getting whitewashed in a laugher, which will expose system as a failure.  It's just a matter of time before that happens.

And wouldn't it be ironic if FSU is the team that gets left out in that scenario?  That would be hilarious.

Unfortunately, Division I CFB is probably the most difficult sport for which to make a championship—fora myriad of reasons.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/a-12-team-playoff-wont-fix-college-football-but-this-will

This at first sounds great but then when you consider how soft a couple of these conferences would be, certain teams (Penn State) would get almost an auto-bid to the playoffs each year while multiple other teams would get left out.

Edited by AUwent