Charles Kelly to join Defensive Staff

Win4AU

13 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Warren Sapp is being hired to Deion's coaching staff at Colorado. I wonder if Charles Kelly moving on has anything to do with that? 

Has Sapp ever coached before?  

He was a heck of a player and has led an…

interesting life…

including getting bitten by a shark.  

2 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

Has Sapp ever coached before?  

He was a heck of a player and has led an…

interesting life…

including getting bitten by a shark.  

He has said that he has wanted to coach ever since he retired from playing but he didn't really care for all the hours that coaches have to put in. Deion announced about a month ago that Sapp would be on his coaching staff next season but Sapp has to get his degree first before being on staff. I believe he is currently taking classes to get his degree. But no, he hasn't ever coached to my knowledge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ok hugh okay.  Now get rid of the OC.

Definitely surprised Montgomery is still here.  Maybe Hugh’s gonna make it work?  The talking heads haven’t mentioned it in a couple weeks either.

Edited by Win4AU

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Definitely surprised Montgomery is still here.  Maybe Hugh’s gonna make it work?  The talking heads haven’t mentioned it in a couple weeks either.

I believe so too tbh. Do not think Montgomery can stay. Hugh needs to call plays and get a stud recruiter as the OC in title only.  DC please.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

It's starting to look like everybody keeps their job. I'm pretty shocked that Montgomery is still on staff. Figured if anybody was let go, it would've happened by now. I still think Hugh calls plays next year though. If Hugh does call plays then that's alot of money spent on an OC to just gameplan during the week. 

1 minute ago, TeamZero77 said:

It's starting to look like everybody keeps their job. I'm pretty shocked that Montgomery is still on staff. Figured if anybody was let go, it would've happened by now. I still think Hugh calls plays next year though. If Hugh does call plays then that's alot of money spent on an OC to just gameplan during the week. 

I just don’t see how they coincide if that occurs. Really hoping that not be the case. 

59 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Why?

He leaves a DC job hes only been at a year and comes to be Co-DC. A great move for AU, just surprising to me.

• Like 1

Charles Kelly and Jimmy Rane have been close friends for a long time.   Kelly is an elite recruiter and a really good DB coach.   Always nice to see former AU players come home.   

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Ron Robert's isn't going anywhere, is he? This is obviously a nice pickup, especially for recruiting purposes. Curious why Kelly only wanted to spend a year in CU and take a downgrade in title to get out of there. Or did he just want to be in Auburn that much?

CK applied for the AU DC job last year before Roberts was hired, but HF offered him only the assistant DC position.  He wanted to be at AU, but because HF didn't offer the DC job he took the Colorado position.  Co-DC is the compromise apparently.

Roberts isn't getting the job done.

• WarTiger changed the title to Charles Kelly to join Defensive Staff
2 hours ago, NCTiger1982 said:

VanGorder looked like a shining star. I felt bad for him signing on to Chizik’s shitshow and going down with the ship. His career just seemed to trend down from there with zero mojo. 

Brian van Gorder was burnt out when he came to the Plains. He was caught on film doing ridiculous things at Auburn like running onto the field to congratulate his D and getting flagged when he wrongly thought it was 4th down. 

3 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

Maybe they will let Roberts go and get McGriff back on the field. We could have used McGriff’s coaching in the iron bowl. Seriously we need McGriff coaching and recruiting. 

Get rid of Montgomery too

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:
3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Believe he maybe coaching at a HS is south Alabama, or at least was.

Yeah he’s at orange beach now. They won state a few weeks ago

He is at Gulf Shores H.S.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

And the DC, too.

2 hours ago, KillenTime said:

Maybe they will let Roberts go and get McGriff back on the field. We could have used McGriff’s coaching in the iron bowl. Seriously we need McGriff coaching and recruiting. 

Doesn’t McGriff and Kelly coach same position group?

4 hours ago, CR said:

He leaves a DC job hes only been at a year and comes to be Co-DC. A great move for AU, just surprising to me.

Colorado was one of the worst defenses in the country. Prime was probably glad to get rid of him. Plus Saban probably gave Dion this guy as a welcome present.

6 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This is huge . Almost Brian VanGorder huge … hehehe . Bad joke 

I grew a mustache for that one but I refuse to shave my head. 😎