Charles Kelly to join Defensive Staff

Win4AU

Maybe there is something we are missing but this sure seems like an odd hire and either desperate or a favor to a coach that was going to get fired.

9 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Maybe there is something we are missing but this sure seems like an odd hire and either desperate or a favor to a coach that was going to get fired.

Am I missing something that makes this a bad hire?

1 hour ago, aujohnson said:

Am I missing something that makes this a bad hire?

Well Colorado had one of the worst defenses in the country. Saban gave him to Sanders last year and now it looks like Sanders was glad to see him go. Why is he coming to Auburn?

14 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Well Colorado had one of the worst defenses in the country. Saban gave him to Sanders last year and now it looks like Sanders was glad to see him go. Why is he coming to Auburn?

I think going there from Alabama was an opportunity for him to be DC.

I wouldn’t think Colorado had much to work with. 

It sounds like the co-DC is just a feel good title and he’s reportedly an amazing recruiter. 

Maybe it’s an awful hire but I don’t see why at the moment. 

12 hours ago, aujohnson said:

I think going there from Alabama was an opportunity for him to be DC.

I wouldn’t think Colorado had much to work with. 

It sounds like the co-DC is just a feel good title and he’s reportedly an amazing recruiter. 

Maybe it’s an awful hire but I don’t see why at the moment. 

CK is an excellent hire for AU.  You're right, Colorado is not a major attraction for elite talent, although CK recruited UCO's first 5* player.  Would have never expected such a result at UCO, even for Kelly.

1 hour ago, Elephant Tipper said:

CK is an excellent hire for AU.  You're right, Colorado is not a major attraction for elite talent, although CK recruited UCO's first 5* player.  Would have never expected such a result at UCO, even for Kelly.

Deon recruited the first 5* player at colorado. Geez. 

18 hours ago, KillenTime said:

I dont think so either, maybe Roberts leaves. I hope not actually. CK is horrible. 

So you say but what is your reasons? Deion beat his own team one game with his play calling. Threw his players under the bus. 

1 hour ago, KillenTime said:

Deon recruited the first 5* player at colorado. Geez. 

Only in the same fashion as Saban and Fisher recruited the 5* players that were credited to CK.  Of course the players are committing to those schools where the hc is successful and well known, but there is a point man who actually does the recruiting, namely CK.  The hc helps close the deal or do you think that these insecure/waffling recruits are being held by the hand by the likes of Saban and Fisher and Sanders until they actually sign ?  No, they aren't.  That's been CK's job.

Btw, 247 credits CK for having recruited 5* Cormani McClain to Colorado, not DS.  Charles Kelly, Defensive Coordinator (FB), Colorado Buffaloes (247sports.com)

22 hours ago, KillenTime said:

Maybe Freeze can take an off the field role. He sure as hell isn’t coaching. 

He is recruiting.  🙄

On 12/30/2023 at 6:53 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

Roberts ain't a fan of this, I'm guessing 

Who cares what Roberts thinks.. Bowers still living rent free and running wild in his head. Rush 2 on 4th and Winnipeg . Who gives A s*** what he thinks … 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Who cares what Roberts thinks.. Bowers still living rent free and running wild in his head. Rush 2 on 4th and Winnipeg . Who gives A s*** what he thinks … 

Take it easy bro, just a observation 

26 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Take it easy bro, just a observation 

Just not a Roberts fan lol. All good here . I bet your observation is on the money though. 

• Like 1

Okay, so Kelly is supposed to be a spectacular recruiter. FSU? Well, FSU recruits 5 star and 4 star players like candy on Halloween. Colorado? Was it him or Prime that attracted these players? And welp, how did his great recruiting on defense pay off in terms of actual coaching for Colorado - a terrible defensive team?

I don't know the answer to these questions. I'm asking because I *know* McGriff was a very good recruiter and Kelly is stepping in to fill his shoes. And I think there were some real issues between McGriff and Roberts leading up to this.

Whatcha got?

9 minutes ago, AURex said:

Okay, so Kelly is supposed to be a spectacular recruiter. FSU? Well, FSU recruits 5 star and 4 star players like candy on Halloween. Colorado? Was it him or Prime that attracted these players? And welp, how did his great recruiting on defense pay off in terms of actual coaching for Colorado - a terrible defensive team?

I don't know the answer to these questions. I'm asking because I *know* McGriff was a very good recruiter and Kelly is stepping in to fill his shoes. And I think there were some real issues between McGriff and Roberts leading up to this.

Whatcha got?

Part of your question RuninRed answered on the first page and I answered 5 posts above about Colorado. 

CK was named the 2023 Recruiter of the Year by 247: Charles Kelly is the 247Sports National Recruiter of the Year thanks to his Alabama and Colorado efforts

List of CK's "All time recruits", 247: Charles Kelly All Time Recruits (247sports.com)

Here's WM's list of recruits: Wesley McGriff All Time Recruits (247sports.com)

You did not really address the questions I asked, you just regurgitated some stats. But okay, if that's all you got ..........

14 minutes ago, AURex said:

You did not really address the questions I asked, you just regurgitated some stats. But okay, if that's all you got ..........

You'll have to do your own reading about Colorado.  I don't follow them.  If you're not going to read the info I provided about the specific recruits that CK and WM brought to the different schools, then I can't help you.  

247 bestowed on CK their Best Recruiter of the Year, which should speak highly of him to anyone, but you either didn't read that info or have a problem with it.

If you want to know the end result of all these different recruits, then you should spend the effort doing so.  I'm not your researcher.

10 hours ago, AURex said:

Whatcha got?

Would be clarifying if we knew what really took place to get McGriff reassigned. Would really answer questions. Freeze seemed to side with the final on field coaches.