Kirby says "something needs to be done"

AURex

So FSU had a group of guys opt out and others injured. Team spirit maybe was low after being left out of the CFP final four. But here is a team, that claims they deserved to be in the Playoff and here's there chance to prove their point, and they don't show up, they get totally slaughtered, embarrassed, beat into a bloody spot on the field. UGA didn't even have to work or try.

Afterwards, Kirby said in a post-game interview that "something needs to be done about this."

Well, I'm curious, who is going to do the "something" and what exactly are they going to do?

Can schools withhold NIL with the requirement that players participate in bowl games, then they get paid their NIL afterwards? Not exactly a recruiting bonanza, I think. Can schools offer a bonus, over NIL, for players who participate in bowl games?  Will players care if they think they are NFL-bound if the bonus is not gigantic?

I'm just curious what "something" Kirby thinks should be done. Notably, he never said.

• Like 1

There are not many options.

Players can't be forced to play when their college careers are at an end. I supposed the NFL could put a rule in place but they have no incentive to do so. Future draft picks not getting hurt in meaningless bowl games only benefits them.

You could get rid of bowl games altogether and focus on the playoffs which is more ideal to me but will never happen because of the loss of TV revenue.

The playoffs should somewhat take care of it. A situation like FSU where a high-talent team loses a third of their players will not happen since teams like that will be a playoff team in the future and players will want to play in those games. But it will always be an issue in lower-tier bowl games. 

The best option is to treat bowl games like spring games. Use it to get young guys more playing time and prepared for future starting roles in the next year. Just have the understanding going in that there really isn't going to be a big concern on winning the game. As Auburn fans, we should be used to that by now.   

• Facepalm 1

Kirby and Saban are the absolute best at changing the narrative. Instead of focusing on Kirby running the score up or something negative about Georgia’s competitive advantage, he changes the narrative to opt-outs.

In all reality, Kirby Smart was the happiest person in the room that he got to beat undefeated FSU by 60 points and reinforce that he had the best team in the country. 

You can try to make them play, but you can’t make them play well or prevent them from ‘pulling a hamstring’ on the first play. The CFB model is completely broken and unlikely to be made whole again anytime soon, if ever. 

• Like 1

He just wanted to be heard, and act like he FN cares!

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

You can try to make them play, but you can’t make them play well or prevent them from ‘pulling a hamstring’ on the first play. The CFB model is completely broken and unlikely to be made whole again anytime soon, if ever. 

Sad but true. Why get excited about a great recruiting class when they might all pack up and leave on a whim? I'm glad I don't have a bunch of money invested in one of these NIL pools. Just as well toss the bills in the toilet and flush them down.

• Like 2