Harvard’s President needed to go

The most disheartening thing about Donald Trump’s ascendance has not been that he’s a totally unprincipled liar and cheat, but rather how he has made (or exposed) so many other liars and cheats. He’s lowered the discourse and poured gas on the extreme polarization of our country. Folks pick teams over principles and excuse the wrongs of their teammates. This has heightened on the broad “left” in response to the obscene devolution of the “right.” But principles still have to matter if you think you’re different than those you decry. Plagiarism in the academy is a cardinal sin. She doesn’t deserve to be the head of and elite university, or even a community college, based on her level of scholarship. It’s doesn’t matter how vile her opponents are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

She absolutely needed to go.  For her not to resign would have been to treat her differently than any other person in her position.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:53 AM, TexasTiger said:

The most disheartening thing about Donald Trump’s ascendance has not been that he’s a totally unprincipled liar and cheat, but rather how he has made (or exposed) so many other liars and cheats. He’s lowered the discourse and poured gas on the extreme polarization of our country. Folks pick teams over principles and excuse the wrongs of their teammates. This has heightened on the broad “left” in response to the obscene devolution of the “right.” But principles still have to matter if you think you’re different than those you decry. Plagiarism in the academy is a cardinal sin. She doesn’t deserve to be the head of and elite university, or even a community college, based on her level of scholarship. It’s doesn’t matter how vile her opponents are.

I’m not sure why a private university went through that inquisition.  Some of it is more than likely jealously. And the plagiarism issue is their business. However, she did incompetently mishandle this Israel questions and alienated the donors. 

Personally I think the whole Ivy League indoctrination narrative is a mess. I work with a ton of their grads daily, young and old,  and most are classic “neocons”.

21 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I’m not sure why a private university went through that inquisition.  Some of it is more than likely jealously. And the plagiarism issue is their business. However, she did incompetently mishandle this Israel questions and alienated the donors. 

Personally I think the whole Ivy League indoctrination narrative is a mess. I work with a ton of their grads daily, young and old,  and most are classic “neocons”.

Her answer was not inaccurate. It was inartful, too dispassionate and has not be consistently applied.